Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Books on Whitechapel underworld and gangs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books on Whitechapel underworld and gangs?

Without wishing to draw flak, I do think JtR discussions get stuck in a rut, especially around witnesses. Or rather, some things seem underdiscussed.

Can anyone recommend a modern text which covers the criminal world in 1880s/1890s Whitechapel/the East End, in terms of organised criminal gangs and their activities? NOT a Ripper book, but more a general historical account. I guess it may be by some local historical association. Of course, I can try and find one, but wondered if anyone had read anything?

I'm struck by how little- if anything - I've read (outside of The Bank Holiday Murders) which even explains how/if prostitutes worked for pimps, let alone the local gangs and their activities - brothels, properties, illicit gambling, punter-mugging, robberies, fencing, etc.
    Last edited by Paul Sutton; 10-18-2023, 06:40 AM.

You might pick up ‘Mob Town’ by John Bennett.

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
      You might pick up ‘Mob Town’ by John Bennett.

JM
      Thanks.

Comment

They don't focus on mobs/gangs as such, but for two brilliant accounts of the social conditions at the time, try "East End 1888" by William Fishman, and "The Blackest Streets" by Sarah Wise.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          They don't focus on mobs/gangs as such, but for two brilliant accounts of the social conditions at the time, try "East End 1888" by William Fishman, and "The Blackest Streets" by Sarah Wise.
          Thanks - I think I know the Wise, but not the first one.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231018_173346.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	822788

Hi Paul,

It's anything but a modern text, but I've been reading this lately and it really evokes the seediness and criminality of the East End.

It's not exactly what you're asking for, but would recommend anyway.

Comment

You might be able to find something of interest in an old Ripperologist issue. If you don't already have these in your computer, you can download them from here: http://www.ripperologist.co.uk/backissues.html

Comment

Originally posted by Ms Diddles View Post
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20231018_173346.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	822788

Hi Paul,

It's anything but a modern text, but I've been reading this lately and it really evokes the seediness and criminality of the East End.

It's not exactly what you're asking for, but would recommend anyway.
                No, it's exactly what I'm after. Many thanks.

Comment

I'm fond of an author who died in 2022, Donald (Serrell) Thomas. He released a book titled The Victorian Underworld which drew on Henry Mayhew's work.

Amazon (UK) page.
                  Code:
                  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorian-Underworld-Donald-Thomas/dp/0814782388
                  He also wrote Sherlock Holmes pastiches which was how I found out about him originally.

Thomas' wikipedia page with a list of his work.
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Serrell_Thomas

The Amazon link came out with some sort of captcha in the preview, so I changed it to code. Copy and paste the URL to check the Amazon page for the book. kindle version is only just over a quid.

What has happened to Amazon? I click on Donald Thomas' name on the page URL above, and I get 53 pages of results with authors that have Donald in the name, have Thomas in the name, and I wouldn't mind if the Donald Thomas books were at the top of said list. But they are not. Ridiculous.
                  Last edited by Ozzy; 10-19-2023, 12:54 PM.
                  These are not clues, Fred.
                  It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                  They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                  And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                  We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                    I'm fond of an author who died in 2022, Donald (Serrell) Thomas. He released a book titled The Victorian Underworld which drew on Henry Mayhew's work.

Amazon (UK) page.
                    Code:
                    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorian-Underworld-Donald-Thomas/dp/0814782388
                    He also wrote Sherlock Holmes pastiches which was how I found out about him originally.

Thomas' wikipedia page with a list of his work.
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Serrell_Thomas

The Amazon link came out with some sort of captcha in the preview, so I changed it to code. Copy and paste the URL to check the Amazon page for the book. kindle version is only just over a quid.

Many thanks - I'll check this out. I love Mayhew - such pathos but (to be truthful) such funny details too.

I write my own highly scurrilous Holmes' pastiches. Here's my collected ones to date:

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sutton View Post

Many thanks - I'll check this out. I love Mayhew - such pathos but (to be truthful) such funny details too.

I write my own highly scurrilous Holmes' pastiches. Here's my collected ones to date:

https://paulsutton.substack.com/p/th...es-of-sherlock
                      Ever since seeing your name I've had a sounds familiar thought in my head. But I can't place it. Mabe I have read some of your pastiches.
                      These are not clues, Fred.
                      It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                      They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                      And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                      We will not.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post

Ever since seeing your name I've had a sounds familiar thought in my head. But I can't place it. Mabe I have read some of your pastiches.
                        I sent the first two to a leading (serious) Holmes pastiche chap, who was furious (but did say he thought they were funny). He was outraged!

You may have seen articles by me in The Daily Sceptic (where I've also written under the cheeky pseudonym Eric Blair). Mostly about my time in teaching and attacking wokedom - especially over the trans-indoctrination. Also on The Conservative Woman (daft name but good publication)

I've also been on some podcasts recently, on the site 'Legalise Freedom', on dystopian fiction and another favourite writer, J.G. Ballard.

all the best

Last edited by Paul Sutton; 10-20-2023, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X