Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did JTR ever change his M.O. intentionally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Barthelemy!? That's the name of one of the Long Island killers victims, Melissa Barthelemy. A possible ripper victim also has that name?

Comment

• give them a hand

Hello Jeff. Thanks.

So From Emma Smith up to Frances Coles--all same hand? You may bloody well be right.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
        To Lynn

I will agree to disagree about alcohol and a Jack the Ripper.

Cheers John
        My two cents is that I agree with both John and Lynn on the alcohol issue. I agree with John in that Jack probably was a heavy drinker (look at the correlation between substance abuse and antisocial personality disorder). However, I agree with Lynn that this fact probably is irrelevant to the actual crimes. Alcohol isn't responsible for these crimes. I don't believe that Jack got all sauced up in order to kill. Rather, I suspect he was just a heavy drinker and this may have escalated as a way of dealing with the stress of being, well, Jack the Ripper. I do believe the FBI profile suggests that Jack probably abused alcohol.

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
          Hello Jeff. Thanks.

So From Emma Smith up to Frances Coles--all same hand? You may bloody well be right.

Cheers.
          LC
          Your right of course if Coles was in the tally then it rules out Kosminski

I'm nothing if not inconsistent

On the other hand we have a another possible suspect for Coles

and around we go

The damn case is so infuriating

All best

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
            Who's Barthelemy!? That's the name of one of the Long Island killers victims, Melissa Barthelemy. A possible ripper victim also has that name?
            Victim of Jack The Stripper. A serial killer operating in the early 1960's Rocky.

Regards

Observer

Comment

• Speaking of changing MO's, Elliot Rodger, (the 22 year old male, son of a Hollywood director who just murdered 7 in Santa Barbara) stabbed to death his three roommates prior to going on a shooting spree.

First time I've noticed absolute proof the killer can change his weapons of murder.

Comment

• G'day Beowulf

It happened here in 1990's he shot some and stabbed some, I don't think that's terribly unusual when we are talking all killings in one day.

But with these cases we are talking series with major changes, ie poisoning to ripping, or ripping to dissecting and that is what seems somewhat unusual.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                  It happened here in 1990's he shot some and stabbed some, I don't think that's terribly unusual when we are talking all killings in one day.

But with these cases we are talking series with major changes, ie poisoning to ripping, or ripping to dissecting and that is what seems somewhat unusual.
                  What happened there in the 1990's? I'm talking about the murder that happened today, btw.

So, JTR ripper vs torso murders extremely unlikely major change?

Comment

• G'day Beowulf

What I mean is that in 1991 a bloke went bezerk in the Mall and stabbed a grl to death, he then pulled out a rifle and shot a number of people, end result 8 dead 6 wounded, so my point is that stabbing and shooting as part of the one event as occurred today is nothing new.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I also recall that Martin Bryant, who killed 35 people in Tasmania had a knife on him, but I don't think he killed anyone with it, but doubt he took it on his rampage just for the sake of it.
                      G U T

Comment

• Just double checked Bryant did actually kill one person with the knife, but shot about 50 others, killing 34 of them in at least 4 different locations.
                        G U T

Comment

• distinction

Hello Barbara. Perhaps a distinction can be made between the spree killer and the serial killer?

Of course, ALL that is outside my area of expertise and interest.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

• Hi all,

some say that the murderer of Polly and Annie tried to behead them but the very deep cuts could also be seen as the result of a learning process and ultimately a change in MO from previous killings.

If we assume that the series started with Martha Tabram who got stabbed to death which takes quite some time and thus is more risky and the murderer then decided to switch to throat-cutting, he might have applied way more force than necessary due to lack of experience.

Boris
                            ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

• Originally posted by bolo View Post
                              some say that the murderer of Polly and Annie tried to behead them
                              Hi bolo,

This isn't accurate, the damage inflicted to Nichols throat was described by some as almost enough to behead her, there is no evidence of any attempt by her killer to actually do that. Chapman, had very different throat wounds done with a different knife, but the killer in this case had made a clear attempt to separate the bones in her neck.

To go back to the question - "Did JTR ever change his M.O. intentionally?"

No, as the killer had no possible understanding of what an 'M.O' is, he would not be able to intentionally change it.

Comment

• right

Hello Boris. Whomever said that is correct. Their throat wounds were the same, and likely by the same knife.

What learning would the killer be undergoing?

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X