Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did JTR ever change his M.O. intentionally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Hello Errata. Thanks.

But my point is that HOW these first two murders were carried out are virtually the same.

The last three, not. And there are many ad hoc explanations--none of which satisfy.

Cheers.
    LC
    Except that Chapman may not have even been strangled at all, and her tongue protrusion could have been due to the profound dehydration that comes from air hunger due to her advanced lung disease. And certainly the mutilations were not similar. In fact the only two things those murders had in common were similar throat wounds, and both took place under a window where someone was sleeping. And given that there are only so many ways to cut a throat, the similarity of the throat wounds isn't actually that remarkable.

Because of where Chapman's body was, the killer had to be either behind her head, or more likely on her chest when he inflicted the throat wounds. With Nichols there were no such restrictions. So the real question isn't why he wouldn't be in different positions to make different throat cuts. Different crime scenes, different layouts, different positions required to get easy access to the throat. The real question is why he felt the need to sit on Nichols' chest when he didn't have to. That's really the only reason the two wounds are similar, and in only one of those cases was that positioning not necessary.
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• natural inference

Hello Cris.

"I've just about come to the notion that both were just quickly taken down and their throats immediately cut."

I agree. That is the natural inference, and nothing forbids it.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

• Have a seat.

Hello Errata. Thanks.

But Dr. Phillips pointed to the swollen face and indicated that (as well as the tongue) was a sign of strangulation.

Regarding the neck wounds, I was referring to the double cuts which both women had, as pointed out by both doctor and coroner.

Sat on Nichols' chest?

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Hello Errata. Thanks.

But Dr. Phillips pointed to the swollen face and indicated that (as well as the tongue) was a sign of strangulation.

Regarding the neck wounds, I was referring to the double cuts which both women had, as pointed out by both doctor and coroner.

Sat on Nichols' chest?

Cheers.
          LC
          Right. Blood pattern indicates that her throat was cut while she was on the ground. So once she's down, however she gets there, the killer can be on her right, on her left, above her head, or straddling her chest. Because the wound pattern matches Chapman, right or left are out because the killer could not be on Chapman's right or left. He could be above her head, but more likely on her body facing the head. Positioning dictates wound pattern, so similar wound pattern means similar positioning. Meaning the killer was in the same position for Nichols as he was with Chapman, ie: on her chest.

Comment

• right

Hello Errata. Thanks. Why not on her right side?

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

• I thought it was common knowledge that the most likely position for the killer to inflict the throat wound was on her right, crouched by her right shoulder - assuming the killer was right-handed.
              This applies to Nichols, Chapman & Eddowes.

I'm certainly not aware of any opinions to the contrary.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• G'day Jon

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                I thought it was common knowledge that the most likely position for the killer to inflict the throat wound was on her right, crouched by her right shoulder - assuming the killer was right-handed.

But if he was a southpaw ...?
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• bruises

Hello Jon. Nor am I. And the position should line up with the bruises as you drew them.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                    I thought it was common knowledge that the most likely position for the killer to inflict the throat wound was on her right, crouched by her right shoulder - assuming the killer was right-handed.

Chapman's body fell with her head and shoulders between the steps and the fence. A span of about 30 inches, and she was about 20 or so inches minimum across the shoulders. And she wasn't dragged. The steps are pretty steep, so the killer couldn't fit on either side of her head. He would have to on the stair landing or hanging off the fence to be at either shoulder. It's possible he could have scrunched himself up at the top of her head, but by far the easiest way to get to the neck was by straddling her chest.

The right side of the body IS the most likely position for the killer to work from, but in the case of Chapman, it would be a ridiculous inconvenience.

Comment

• position

Hello Errata. I agree that the fence would preclude the left side. But since her head was a few inches from the bottom step, and since he could kneel near her shoulder, I can't see why that was not his position. He would fit there easily.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Hello Errata. I agree that the fence would preclude the left side. But since her head was a few inches from the bottom step, and since he could kneel near her shoulder, I can't see why that was not his position. He would fit there easily.

Cheers.
                        LC
                        A few inches from the bottom step means that her shoulders are in the gap. So he couldn't kneel at her shoulder without being on the steps. He could kneel at her waist, but at that distance and over steep steps it becomes difficult. And why bother when its so much easier to just squat on her chest and cut her throat without weird leaning about?

Comment

• gap

Hello Errata. Thanks.

I can't see that her head was in the gap. It seems to be down a few inches from them.

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Hello Errata. Thanks.

I can't see that her head was in the gap. It seems to be down a few inches from them.

Cheers.
                            LC
                            If the average three step length is 54 inches, her head was 24 inches away from the rear wall, and about 9 inches from the bottom step, the math leads one to believe that her head 9 inches away from the bottom step towards the wall. Not 9 inches away towards the yard. And that of course is assuming that her head wasn't 9 inches away from the steps towards the fence. Either way, no matter how you do the math, her head and shoulders were in the gap.

Even allowing for narrow and dangerous steps, the math means she was in that gap.

Comment

• direct quote

Hello Errata. Thanks. Nice reasoning.

Of course, Phillips had said, "The head was about 6 in. in front of the level of the bottom step." ("Ultimate" p. 86)

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

• Title

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                                Hello. Thanks.
                                Cheers.
                                LC
                                Did Lynn ever change his M.O. ?

No.

Cheers Lynn !

Comment