No announcement yet.

Did he have anatomical knowledge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you. My concept to what may have happened is new, and I was hoping to learn more from you all before expressing it.

Comment

• I respect the thoughts here, and I fear embarrassing myself.

Comment

• Not a problem.

Originally posted by Futzbucket View Post
        Thank you. My concept to what may have happened is new, and I was hoping to learn more from you all before expressing it.
        Well you have come to the correct place. The knowledgable people here astound me often with what they know. Most things pertaining to the case can be found here and if not there is usually someone willing to lend a hand. Happy hunting. Looking forward to your take on it when you are ready.
        Valour pleases Crom.

Comment

• What I was able to work out was it's a two-man job. One man did the work, and the other held the safehouse.

Comment

• Dissertation

Hello all,

I can recommend a dissertation by Sam Flynn, called (I think) "By accident or design". Very well argued, I thought. Deals with a lot of the points brought up here.

Best wishes,
            C4

P.S. If someone has already suggested this and I've missed it, blame my fevered brain!

Comment

• Hullo C4.

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
              Hello all,

I can recommend a dissertation by Sam Flynn, called (I think) "By accident or design". Very well argued, I thought. Deals with a lot of the points brought up here.

Best wishes,
              C4

P.S. If someone has already suggested this and I've missed it, blame my fevered brain!
              You sick as well? I'd blame you for mine but you are a little far away. Unless it is a computer VIRUS. See embarrassing oneself comes easy here. Don't worry about that. Dissertations are a great way to go. I've read most of them I think by now. Some require mutiple reads as they are so good. Actually, over the past year or so most of all of my readings are casebook readings.
              Valour pleases Crom.

Comment

• I'm no good at that. Best I could manage is to present it in a story fashion, or else appear that guy at the end of the bar that "knows what's going on".

Comment

• Ha ha.

Originally posted by Futzbucket View Post
                  I'm no good at that. Best I could manage is to present it in a story fashion, or else appear that guy at the end of the bar that "knows what's going on".
                  Hullo, no I meant disserations for a good place to get some info aside from the boards. And whichever way you are most comfortable with proceed in that manner. Or see if anyone is interested in colaboration. If it has merit then it will be noted by people here. Don't worry too much about. Errata has a thread entitled Team Jack. Maybe worth checking out if you haven't already.
                  Valour pleases Crom.

Comment

• Summer colds and dissertations

Hello DALDWatson,

Thank you. Summer colds are the worst! Hope you will be feeling better soon!

Hello FB,

Do give this one a try, you'll find it if you search under dissertations and Sam Flynn. Don't know who he is but he certainly knows his onions (as my mother would say).

Best wishes,
                    C4/Gwyneth

Comment

• Originally posted by curious4 View Post
                      Hello Sox,

Just realised my post should have been addressed to Rya - summer cold got to my brain!

Best wishes,
                      C4
                      I apologize as well; actually, I didn't mean to suggest that Kate as covered with poop or anything, only that the bits of excrement found on the body might not have arrived there purely by chance. Perhaps I was influenced by the comments on the smearing of feces on the entrails, but this could have come from the killer's hands when he staged the body; I am thinking of a separate report, probably press related, which I don't remember the origin of. In any event, I wouldn't defend the suggestion, even if I located it.

The point of my previous post was to gently question whether the invagination, removal of the descending colon, or skirting of the umbilicus prove any specific skill set on the part of the killer. The invagination could have been incidental, the colon removal accidental, and the skirting of the umbilicus could have reflected the killer's design on that particular piece of Kate's body. To this I would add that we don't know how the killer went about severing the mesenteric attachments, only that he did. We can assume he was efficient in this detail, but lots of people in different fields, including knowledgable hunters, would have similar skills.

I want to emphasize that I am not arguing that the killer was unskilled; I am saying that some of this evidence is debatable. My view is that the killer was very capable with a knife, using either hand, and knew vastly more about how to navigate around the insides of your average mammalian then the average working or lower class Victorian. I also think he was learned from experience, not from observation or study. But I don't think his skill-set translates to any identifiable profession. In other words, he was entirely self-taught, and then that leads to the question of access; I'd like to hear from people on more "out of the box" theories of ways such a person could hone such skills, probably in a clandestine way. There are historical examples of the Ed Gein or Albert Fish variety, but these are impossible to know without having already identifying the culprit.

The best piece of evidence for the killer's practical know-how, the most irrefutable detail, remains his decision to take Kate's left kidney. If I were trying to send a message about my "anatomical knowledge" (a unquantifiable term), I'd choose this organ. But as everyone on this thread knows, the doubters have already rejected this simple supposition out of hand, for fear of turning the ripper into a mad doctor or medical student or some such thing. I don't blame them for that, but the epistemology of the ripper's technique needn't be so rigidly imagined.
                      Last edited by Rya; 08-01-2013, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• Gareth

Hello Gwyneth. That IS an excellent dissertation. Read it 3 times.

Have to disagree, however, about his escape route. If he exited through St. James, Blenkingsop and those fire lads would have seen him.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

• Gareth revealed

Hello (again) Gwyneth. "Sam Flynn" is Gareth Williams. He occasionally does editorials for "Rip."

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

• No apologies

Hello Rya,

Please don't apologise - really, no need. I do agree with you that Jack had a knowledge of anatomy from hunting.

It is a puzzle that there was only a trace of fecal matter on the piece of apron if he used it to wipe his hands. And one report states that only one corner was spotted with blood. Perhaps he wore gloves?

Hello Lynn,

Sounds more like a welshman than an irishman - well, of course! Yes, I agree with you about the firemen and weren't there sewage workers as well? Maybe he hid in a dark corner and made his escape in the following confusion, as per (I think) Polly Nicholls ("I say, watchman old man") and Liz Stride. There is no explanation (as far as I know) of who the second man was running with Eagle. He says "I ran", but the policeman states that two men ran towards him.

Best wishes,

C4/Gwyneth
                            Last edited by curious4; 08-02-2013, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• second lad

Hello Gwyneth. Thanks.

Could it have been Kozebrodski?

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

• Who was it?

Hello Lynn,

Then why didn't he say so? Diemschutz and friend went off together in one direction, Eagles in another, Eagles says "I" - does rather imply that he went off alone (so he thought) or he would have said "I and X" or "I and another man".

Cheers,

Gwyneth

Comment

Working...
                                X