Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the Whitechapel Murderer have been a Police Officer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with the consensus: it is extremely unlikely that the murders were committed by a police officer on their beat or in their uniform. Whether the killer did or did not work as a police officer while not ripping is a different question and one we simply cannot answer.

Comment

I think the killer was someone who could come and go as he pleased, and would not have been missed by family or work colleagues, for example, whenever he was out by himself looking for opportunities. I would tend not to suspect those in regular work, whose hours were long or unsocial, and had to be accounted for. A man has to sleep and eat!

This thread made me think of the terrifying ordeal of Sarah Everard, who was murdered by a serving police officer who used Covid lockdown rules to put her under false arrest and get her into his vehicle without a struggle. I don't know what she could have done to defend herself, even if she knew something wasn't right with the arrest. You don't argue with a copper - unless his name is Trevor and he's discussing Eddowes's apron.

In theory, I suppose the Whitechapel Murderer could have done something similar and told a victim she was under arrest - for loitering, begging, soliciting or being drunk in charge of an invisible fire engine. But these women's circumstances were very different, and such tactics probably weren't necessary.

Love,

Caz
      X
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

If he was a Met. constable, who killed Eddowes on City turf?
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          If he was a Met. constable, who killed Eddowes on City turf?
          another good reason to discount a cop. I get that we're all speculating etc... which is part of the fun but this one doesn't stand up to scrutiny yrev well. Next thing people will be saying it was Lusk!!

Comment

Working...
          X