Ligature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ligature?

Did the ripper use a ligature? The thing that makes me think possibly, is the total lack of noise that came from the yard at Hanbury Street. All that was heard was quiet voices, ‘no’ and then something falling against the fence. Would manual strangulation be this quiet compared to the force that could be brought to bear almost instantly with a ligature?

It is worth noting what Bagster Phillips said about Rose Mylet’s assassin. According to Phillips, the murderer 'had studied the theory of strangulation, for he evidently knew where to place the cord so as to immediately bring his victim under control.' Such a mark would be made by a four thread cord (Dr Matthew Brownfield). This, potentially, sounds a bit more like what could have happened to Annie Chapman – immediately brought under control so no noise could escape. The sheer lack of time at Mitre Square also suggests very quick work to subdue his victim in an expert way.

There was no evidence of a ligature mark on any of the C5, but would the wound to the neck obliterate the ligature mark? Could the ligature mark have been used as a guide to cut? The cord that was used on Mylett was thin – if she had had her throat cut, would the marks of the ligature have been visible? The signs of strangulation on Rose Mylett were clear at first but five days later when Bond saw the body, they had gone. I think that because of the evident skill Phillips saw in the strangulation of Mylett, coupled with the speed and skill that must have been used on Chapman and Eddowes, Mylett *could* have been a ripper victim.

It would be wrong to ignore the one man who committed a ripper-style murder and used strangulation. But he used a rope, not cord. Or did he – here is what the shopkeeper and witness have to say:

‘On Monday 4th February he came to shop between twelve and one and asked if I would give him a bit of cord. I gave him that now shown (Label 6) and said “If that does not suit—I’ll give you a bit more.” He unloosed it and said it would do nicely and took it away.’

‘I was present in Mrs. Martin’s shop on Monday 4th February. Prisoner was there and examining cord very like that shewn, which he said would do nicely.’

It's possible the Ripper used a ligature and it's possible the throat cutting may have obscured this.

Comment

Wouldn't the ligature mark have been visible on the back of the neck?

Cheers, George
      They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
      Out of a misty dream
      Our path emerges for a while, then closes
      Within a dream.
      Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

My point would be, would ligature marks have been successfully obscured in every murder in the series? Surely, like a bruise, a ligature mark would only have become visible later on so how would a killer have been able, with a 100% success rate, to have cut the throat along exactly the same line? It seems unlikely to me.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          My point would be, would ligature marks have been successfully obscured in every murder in the series? Surely, like a bruise, a ligature mark would only have become visible later on so how would a killer have been able, with a 100% success rate, to have cut the throat along exactly the same line? It seems unlikely to me.
          I think hands, bar or ligature would all leave significant visible marks if used as a method of strangulation - I suspect a version of what's known today as a 'rear naked choke':

It's not a choke (restriction of air to the lungs), rather a method of strangulation (restriction of blood to the brain), using an arm around the neck from behind. Properly performed unconsciousness occurs after five to ten seconds (lower end for someone not trained and fit) and lasts for a similar period after the choke is released, followed by another five to ten seconds 'waking up', after which the person is 100% back to normal (maybe a bit groggy). A true choke will take a minute or more for unconsciousness to occur.

If he did know the technique his victim would be unconscious within five seconds of his arm being around their neck, with no ability to make a sound because the breathing is restricted. He'd then have five to ten seconds to lower her to the floor and cut her throat before she woke up.

The technique doesn't leave any significant marking if applied for a short duration.

All the best.
          Last edited by Greenway; 09-18-2021, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X