Loss of Evidence question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of Evidence question

I keep hearing that evidence was "lost to time" and that papers, reports, notes from constables of the day have all been lost despite having been kept on record. What happened to them? I mean for instance, if you go to one of the older precincts of New York you can get the original records from cases of the earliest days of the city. What happened that these things are lost to time? Or is it simply a fire here, flooding there, they may still exist but are buried under the rubble of a long collapsed building that no one bothered to dig up and get and now has a working building or such on top of it. What happened?

There was also a little thing called a war with bombs falling all over London and even shortage that caused paper to be recycled, then I suspect over the years, especially when it became crystal clear he would never be bought to justice some may have become souvenirs
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      There was also a little thing called a war with bombs falling all over London and even shortage that caused paper to be recycled, then I suspect over the years, especially when it became crystal clear he would never be bought to justice some may have become souvenirs
      If you have the original notes of say the constable that happened upon this victim or that wouldn't you want to share that information?

Comment

Most police records were destroyed or lost. Depending on your viewpoint, some of the destructions was necessary for freeing up space for archival puposes, two world wars, or protecting the identity of informers as to protect the sancity of the 'grassing' system, or most were just lost through general mis-management or destroyed deliberately.

Not everything to do with the case is lost, and there is some information around of notes of archive material before they were destroyed. Quite a large number of the correspondence received by the police remain in the national archives.

Many of the more experienced on here will have a clearer idea of what survived and what didn't.
        Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
        JayHartley.com

Comment

Working...
        X