Whitechapel no-go area ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitechapel no-go area ?

it is assumed Whitechapel was a no-go area.Given that one description of JTR is a smartly dressed man in top hat and cape - so a reasonably wealthy individual and someone ho would have been highly conspicuous in such a slum area ?.
    But then ,would the more affluent individuals have dared entered such a high -risk area such as Whitechapel putting themselves at risk ?
    Or was it quite common for the wealthier citizens to visit these areas?
    We're standing alone inside the night
    listen the wind is calling
    to the dangerzone beyond the light
    and suddenly we are falling
    But there ain't no stopping us now
    I don't know if I'll be back tonight
    It's just a machine inside of my head
    and now all the wheels are turning
    I'll think of the words we never said
    and deep in my heart it's burning
    But there is no stopping it now
    we're gonna make it somehow
    you wait tonight
    and we're waiting for the light
    Into the fire we will run
    into the sound of distant drums
    when you're walking alone in a dream
    on a highway to nowhere
    nowhere tonight

Originally posted by OctavBotnar View Post
    it is assumed Whitechapel was a no-go area.Given that one description of JTR is a smartly dressed man in top hat and cape - so a reasonably wealthy individual and someone ho would have been highly conspicuous in such a slum area ?.
    But then ,would the more affluent individuals have dared entered such a high -risk area such as Whitechapel putting themselves at risk ?
    Not sure that's a generally accepted description.
    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	page-1-mandrake-the-magician-photo-type-1963-series-25-untitled.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	735956
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by OctavBotnar View Post
        Slumming was not unknown to that area of London, and in those cases some toffs would dress down so as not to be conspicuous while they sought out the dark side of London. The ones that were the "cape and hat" set likely came from a formal occassion,...maybe got a little liquored up and went to see what the underbelly was like late at night. I would imagine that if the Astrakan Man Georgie claimed to see was actually real, he'd be from the second group. He wasnt dressed down.
        Michael Richards

Comment

"Gangs Of New York" covers the theme, with uptown 'swells' heading to the Bowery and frequently running into mischief. Cracking book, if blighted by the less stringent reporting standards of the times.
          Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

I've often thought, when I read in books and hear in documentaries etc, about how somebody dressed like a gent with top hat etc would of stood out a mile and be conspicuous, that the average bobby might of been hesitant in stopping such a person, the gent turning round and kicking up a huge fuss, how dare you stop me, do you know who I am and so on. The average bobby might of been afraid of losing his job.
            These are not clues, Fred.
            It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
            They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
            And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
            We will not.

Comment

No offense, but I think a lot of 'Ripperologists' must have lived sheltered lives. The slums always have a fair share of toffs and dandies, because they are trying to separate themselves from the herd and exert a 'prestige' that they don't really have. Others want to demonstrate self-respect by dressing up and grooming--even to the point that it is odd or in bad taste.

Just look at the respect these overdressed blokes from the slums of the Congo receive from their adoring fans...just by putting on ridiculous suits:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Of course, we are told by the George Hutchinson doubters that such creatures do no exist. Of course they exist.
              Last edited by rjpalmer; 05-31-2020, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Brilliant bit of film ! but I do get the impression that they are more likely performing for the Camera. They must know he is not rich....or he is a criminal?

Comment

Working...
                X