Coincidence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An article just caught my eye from the Evening news on Oct 11th;

"During yesterday frequent inquiries were made of the Liverpool head constable, Captain Bower, as well as at the detective office, with reference to the action of the Liverpool police in regard to tracing the person or persons supposed to be concerned in the recent atrocities in Whitechapel. A statement has been widely circulated to the effect that one of the supposed criminals was traced to Liverpool, that he had left the city, and that the police had lost sight of him. As a matter of fact, the head constable and the detective department knew nothing of the circumstance until the statements in the newspapers were brought under their notice. The head constable has given instructions for the various railway stations and the departing steamships to be closely watched, and an efficient staff of detectives are endeavouring to give every possible assistance to the London police, but up to last night no trace, so far as Liverpool is concerned, has been found of the criminal. The reward offered for the discovery of the assassin is posted up outside the police stations, and during the day it was eagerly perused by a large number of persons. The Liverpool police do not profess to have any distinct theory as to the identity of the murderer, or any tangible information likely to lead to an arrest. They are, however, deluged with suggestions from various quarters as to the solution of the mystery, but none of these have been found to be of any practical value."

As we all know Liverpool was a departure point for the Americas, and Tumblety escaped England using that route, but that was in November, and this is just days after the so called Double Event. Do we have a clue here that they felt the killer had left London after Oct 1st?
    Last edited by Michael W Richards; 10-30-2019, 12:48 PM.
    Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
      An article just caught my eye from the Evening news on Oct 11th;

"..do not profess to have any distinct theory as to the identity of the murderer, or any tangible information likely to lead to an arrest. They are, however, deluged with suggestions from various quarters as to the solution of the mystery, but none of these have been found to be of any practical value."[/I]
      And lo, Ripperology was born!
      Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

And lo, Ripperology was born!
        Youll see disclaimers like that in most of the press releases citing a "suspect", but the part that I found interesting is "
        A statement has been widely circulated to the effect that one of the supposed criminals was traced to Liverpool, that he had left the city, and that the police had lost sight of him".

Note the "one of".
        Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

Youll see disclaimers like that in most of the press releases citing a "suspect", but the part that I found interesting is "
          A statement has been widely circulated to the effect that one of the supposed criminals was traced to Liverpool, that he had left the city, and that the police had lost sight of him".

Note the "one of".
          Yeah, does it mean 'one of' as in one half of a duo say, or 'one of' a number of individual suspects?
          There's loads of these interesting if totally unhelpful tidbits in the papers. They're obviously based on something, but what?
          Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

Yeah, does it mean 'one of' as in one half of a duo say, or 'one of' a number of individual suspects?
            There's loads of these interesting if totally unhelpful tidbits in the papers. They're obviously based on something, but what?
            To me it reads one of the men sought, Im not sure you need limit it to a duo. That's interesting, because as far as I can recall very few people openly speculated about more that one man...only in Kellys case did that possibility become Pardon worthy.
            Michael Richards

Comment

Working...
            X