Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Two Early Profilers Name Jack the Ripper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Two Early Profilers Name Jack the Ripper?

I recall reading somewhere that during the height of the Ripper murders, police solicited advice from top medical experts to assist them in tracking down the killer. Among those contacted was Dr. Harvey Littlejohn, eminent pathologist from Edinburgh, who undertook a study of the entire police file including autopsy reports and inquest testimony. He asked friend and colleague, Dr. Joe Bell, a skilled diagnostician and inspiration for Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes, to work with him. Together they went over the evidence and closely examined Scotland Yard’s handful of major suspects, as well as a few of their own. The two physicians, working independently, came up with the same suspect and immediately reported their conclusion to “the officers investigating the Ripper case.” Apparently, police never followed up on the lead, but according to Bell’s biographer Ely Liebow, the murders stopped a week later. No trace of any communication between Littlejohn-Bell and Scotland Yard concerning the Ripper case has been found, and apparently neither man ever disclosed the suspect’s identity to anyone else. Perhaps for this reason, no one on Casebook seemed very interested when the subject was brought up here at least twice in recent years.

To my mind, it is certainly believable that Littlejohn and Bell corresponded with London police on the Ripper murders, and that they offered up the name of a suspect that both agreed on. Their investigation must have occurred soon after the Kelly murder, and their suspect was probably (though not certainly) on the Scotland Yard list. Donald Rumbelow is reported to have opined that the name was that of Montague Druitt, but that’s doubtful since Druitt was dead before he was considered a suspect!

If nothing remains in the Ripper files concerning Littlejohn-Bell and their suspect, perhaps documentation exists in some other file, say at the Home Secretary or the Special Branch, or in the personal papers of some long-deceased police official now kept in some archive. Perhaps some of our members with contacts in the Department can pursue this matter further and possibly track down something more substantial than brief mention in one or two biographies. I do think it’s worth the effort to find out what two eminent, investigative physicians of the day had to say about the man called Jack the Ripper.

Hopeful John
    "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
    Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

What a find that would be! At last a link between The Ripper and Holmes. We can but hope, Watson.

Best wishes,
    Steve.

Comment

Which reminds me, someone to whom I mentioned my book, including mentioning that GC was a Ripper suspect, asked me, in all seriousness, why on earth the police didn't get Sherlock Holmes in to solve the Ripper mystery.

Sorry off topic but could not resist sharing!

Helena
      Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Silly, Sherlock Holmes would have needed a suspect standing in front of him, and then he could have said "yes," or "no," he is guilty. Other than that, all he could do was offer a frighteningly accurate profile.

>sigh<

The idea that some people think Sherlock Holmes was a real person is less disturbing to me than the fact that many people think psychics have actually solved crimes for the police. I know someone who thinks that because the TV show Medium used the name of a real so-called psychic detective, all the cases involved in all the plots were real-life cases, with the names changed, like on Dragnet, explaining why I couldn't look them up. That would make Phoenix, AZ, an awfully dangerous city, with more serial killers per capita than the New York of Law and Order: SVU.

Sorry for the tangent.

Comment

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post

The idea that some people think Sherlock Holmes was a real person is less disturbing to me than the fact that many people think psychics have actually solved crimes for the police. I know someone who thinks that because the TV show Medium used the name of a real so-called psychic detective, all the cases involved in all the plots were real-life cases, with the names changed, like on Dragnet, explaining why I couldn't look them up. That would make Phoenix, AZ, an awfully dangerous city, with more serial killers per capita than the New York of Law and Order: SVU.

Sorry for the tangent.
          Hello RivkahChaya

Actually it's a sad commentary on public perceptions that, yes, a lot of people probably think that Sherlock Holmes was an actual Victorian sleuth, whereas Jack the Ripper is thought by many to have been a fictional character. That's partly because of the way the two have been depicted in past motion pictures: Holmes is usually played pretty realistically, particularly in the Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett versions of the Holmes stories, while the Ripper in most Hollywood efforts is a ghoul and a stereotype.

Best regards

Chris George

Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes
          Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 08-29-2012, 01:20 PM.
          Christopher T. George
          Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
          just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
          For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
          RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

works of fiction

Hello Chris. Then there be those who recognise both as fictional. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post

Actually it's a sad commentary on public perceptions that, yes, a lot of people probably think that Sherlock Holmes was an actual Victorian sleuth, whereas Jack the Ripper is thought by many to have been a fictional character.
              Hi Chris.
              Back in the early 70's I visited the Sherlock Holmes museum-gift shop at 221b Baker Street. I think it was part of a Bank or some other institution. They had a noticeboard full of letters from all around the world from people asking for assistance from Sherlock Holmes.
              Some were from high status people, letters with a royal insigna and official letterheads from governments of foreign countries. It's stunning just how many well educated & influential people actually thought that Holmes was a real character.

Regards, Jon S.
              Last edited by Wickerman; 08-30-2012, 01:03 AM.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                It's stunning just how many well educated & influential people actually thought that Holmes was a real character.

Regards, Jon S.
                A bit like God.

Comment

Working...
                X