B from Berner Street
    M from Mitre Square
    D from Dorset Street

DHBMD

Caesar cipher it into:

EICNE

Anagram it into:

NIECE

(there are no other anagram possibilities that use all 5 of these letters and exactly these 5 letters only)

This could mean 1 of 2 things:

1. Jack was motivated by something that happened of some sort with a Niece of his.
    2. Far more likely in my opinion, this is just a red herring, but I think its notable enough to post regardless.

Hi Stacker,

Durward Street was called Buck's Row back in the Ripper days so the contemporary version of this anagram wouldn't have made much sense.

Regards,

Boris
    ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

Originally posted by bolo View Post
      Hi Stacker,

Durward Street was called Buck's Row back in the Ripper days so the contemporary version of this anagram wouldn't have made much sense.

Regards,

Boris
      If thats the case, then it would be cancelled out by swapping Dutsfield Yard with Berner Street.

Although, the real issue that would ruin it is replacing Dorset Street with Millers Court.

That would replace the 2nd E with a 2nd N, which would return absolutely no 5 letter anagrams whatsoever.

I will try to see if I can find something else with the contemporary version for a bit.

I might also attempt versions that incorporate Castle Alley and Georges Yard.

(G)BHDMM(C)

I might attempt some sort of Caesar Cipher (anything between +1 and +25) and Anagram of that.
      Last edited by Stacker; 03-29-2019, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Hi Stacker,

Regards,

Boris
        BHBMD = Bill H. Bury murdered doxies!
        - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post

BHBMD = Bill H. Bury murdered doxies!
          There we have it. Case closed.
          ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

Hi Stacker,

Good to know you have retained your sense of humour and mischief.

Years ago, the matter of an anagram was applied to the GSG, with some eye-popping results.

Regards,

Simon
            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

There we have it. Case closed.
              Woohoo! I've solved the Mystery of Jack the Ripper. My work here is done.
              - Ginger

Comment

Hi Stacker

You should have a chat with Richard Nunweek about the significance of the number 39.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                  Hi Stacker,

Good to know you have retained your sense of humour and mischief.

Years ago, the matter of an anagram was applied to the GSG, with some eye-popping results.

Regards,

Simon
                  I remember reading 2 different anagrams generated by Randy Williams, Investigator living in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania both of which supported his theories on his facebook page once.

If his theory is correct, though, which I believe it is just barely less likely to be correct than not, then not only does it mean that my anagram + Caesar cipher here is incorrect, it means that the entire victim list is vastly different from the list of victims used in my combo.

Other than the theory from Randy Williams, are there any other notable GSG anagrams to mention?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    Hi Stacker

You should have a chat with Richard Nunweek about the significance of the number 39.
                    I have seen it looking at various forum archives.
                    I think its a nonsense theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Stacker View Post

I have seen it looking at various forum archives.
                      I think its a nonsense theory.
                      But better than anagrams that use names that weren’t in use at the time, or pretty little patters drawing lines between locations. But I guess anyone can make up anything when there is a void in solid evidence.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I find these pattern based theories interesting too, but I don't think any hold much water. I do think that a pattern exists with the timings during each month, and its possible that these 20 day lulls may represent an inability to do his thing during those periods, perhaps because he was away from London. I don't see any real failed attempts in any papers for the mid-cycle periods. But I also believe that the man who killed Polly and Annie was institutionalized before Liz Strides murder, so that pattern ended with them in my view. That's the thing with this study, there needn't be a uniform series cycle, they could be some disparate events occurring simultaneously. The fact that violent crimes would overlap with violent crimes is a statement about that area, those particular times, and the lack of some excellent forensic tools. Its hardly a surprise that they happened, that they happened over 2 1/2 months in a small geographic space is the real issue...and it doesn't require a C5 answer.
                        Michael Richards

Comment

Working...
                        X