How did he do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• take 2

Hello Ruby. Not meant to be lofty nor superior, merely precise.

You might still be missing my point. I'll try again. (Same argument form.)

1. If Nessie exists, she has killed many a Scot. Premise.

2. Nessie exists. Premise.

Conclusion: Therefore she has killed many a Scot. 1 & 2 modus ponens.

Again, a valid argument. But would a journalist dare to write the headline, "Beware, Nessie on deadly rampage against the Scots!"?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• advising

Hello Malcolm. You are quite right to advise taking care and not ruling things in or out prematurely. Completely agree.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
        Rape is a quick word - one syllable.
        The usage of 'Stop thief' is similar to my scenario of being chased around a room. If chased or given time to think the I think a 'murder' cry is likely or possible - or if someone is beating up his wife, but not actually murdering her. Not however, I think, immediately before a blitz slashing attack.
        Well, if you wake up and someone is standing over you with a knife, "murder" would seem to be the appropriate response.

Cheers,
        C4

Comment

• Expand the canon...

It stands to reason that the Canonicals + Tabram were by the same serial killer.....and most probably more.

Hey Ruby,

Just curious what your thoughts are on Mackenzie and Coles? Clever people use them to throw wrenches at the theories of others.......

By the way, can someone tell me how to get the Originally Posted by bit when I copy and quote something......

Greg

Comment

• Originally posted by GregBaron View Post
            By the way, can someone tell me how to get the Originally Posted by bit when I copy and quote something......

You click on the 'quote' box which is at at the bottom of each post and the post appears in full in the reply box and you reply the same as with an email. You can delete the bits in the quote you don't want but you have to take care not to delete the square (ie [ and ]) quote brackets.
            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• clever

Hello Greg.

"Just curious what your thoughts are on Mackenzie and Coles? Clever people use them to throw wrenches at the theories of others......."

Hmm, in which case, you are clever, I am not. Good thinking.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• Analog man...

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                You click on the 'quote' box which is at at the bottom of each post and the post appears in full in the reply box and you reply the same as with an email. You can delete the bits in the quote you don't want but you have to take care not to delete the square (ie [ and ]) quote brackets.
                Brilliant. The digitally challenged learn something new every day. Thanks Stephen.

Greg

Comment

• Forever clever...

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                  Hello Greg.

"Just curious what your thoughts are on Mackenzie and Coles? Clever people use them to throw wrenches at the theories of others......."

Hmm, in which case, you are clever, I am not. Good thinking.

Cheers.
                  LC
                  Funny one Lynn. We know who the clever ones are don't we! I mention no names to protect the innocent.

These two cases certainly are measuring sticks to test one's theories....I believe they should be discussed more often...

Greg

Comment

• thought experiment

Hello Greg. Right you are about these 2 ladies. And here's a thought experiment. What would have happened had both McKenzie and Coles died in early December and on the same night? How would the public and the Met have reacted?

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                      1. If Nessie exists, she has killed many a Scot. Premise.

2. Nessie exists. Premise.

Conclusion: Therefore she has killed many a Scot. 1 & 2 modus ponens.
                      Hello Lynn

A philosopher was walking down a street with a friend and they came across two people arguing from their houses on opposite sides of the street.

Philosopher: Those two will never agree

Friend: Why not?

Philosopher: Because they are arguing from different premises
                      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Descartes

Hello Stephen. Good one. But just be sure not to place Descartes before the horse.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

• Time gaps...

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                          Hello Greg. Right you are about these 2 ladies. And here's a thought experiment. What would have happened had both McKenzie and Coles died in early December and on the same night? How would the public and the Met have reacted?
                          Indeed Lynn. Pandemonium and canonization I'd expect. But remember, time heals all wounds...........Whoops, sorry, bad pun.....

Greg

Comment

• tempus fugit

Hello Greg. Quite right. And time seems to be the chief element regarding one's canonisation.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post

Cheers.
                              LC
                              Hi Lynn, and oh ! no, won't fall in that trap....what is this supposed to mean please ? !

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
                                ps: I think the most interesting discussions that we should be having here, is not which victims should be discounted as being 'Jack's' but rather which of the non-canonicals should be counted in (and for me Tabram is a cert, it is which of the others...?)
                                I kind of like that idea, though I would not include Tabram. On the other hand, I might be inclined to include Ada Wilson as his first attempt.

Problems.
                                If Ada Wilson was an early example, a young man cutting her throat with a clasp-knife, then why not accept the earlier attempt against Annie Millwood, which also involved a clasp-knife?
                                Unfortunately we have no description of her attacker.

So then if Annie Millwood is tentatively included, due to the use of a clasp-knife, then what about the target area of Millwoods body?, her lower torso & legs stabbed with the knife.
                                There isn't a world of difference between the failed attack on Millwood and the frenzied attack on Martha Tabram.

It appears that a very slender sequence can be argued beginning with Annie Millwood, then Ada Wilson, and ending up with Martha Tabram.
                                I don't particulalry believe it, any connections are tenuous at best, principally relying on the type of weapon, clasp-knife, which was a common pocket knife for men to carry.

At the other end of the scale Coles & McKenzie present challenges of their own.

Regards, Jon S.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X