Signifigance of the Organs and Their Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signifigance of the Organs and Their Removal

Generally I find that the favored approach to the procured organs is that they offer an idea of the motive or the psychological aspect of the murderer. For example, many agree that the organs were trophies, an indication that the murderer may have been a narcissist, others believe that the murderer was a misogynist because of the removal of the uteri. Still more think that it was simply an act of perversion or none of the aforementioned.

Having recently read a little of Edmund Kemper, I noted that he had a hatred for his mother because she poisoned his life with her overbearing demeanor and belittling comments towards him. She was his penultimate victim, and he removed her vocal cords, attempting to destroy them by placing them into a garbage disposal. I thought this might provide some insight into the removal of certain organs by Jack the Ripper, namely the fact that Edmund removed the organ that perpetrates the voice, and his mother's voice was quite possibly the one thing that he hated most about her.

Although she was dead and could no longer speak, I speculate that his endeavor to destroy the vocal cords signified to him that he was destroying her soul, for to him she was merely a diabolic voice, not an actual human being.

We shall look more into what each of the three organs that Jack removed symbolize:
    The uterus symbolizes fertility, clearly because the fetus forms within it; femininity, because it is an organ exclusive to females; and sexuality, due to it being a sexual organ, albeit internal.

The kidney symbolizes purity because it cleanses the blood of waste (if I remember correctly).

The heart, obviously, represents life because it pumps the blood to all the organs so they may continue to serve their master as long as they have a decent supply of oxygen; it also signifies love, although I am not sure how this originated.

Well let's see. . .
    Removing the uterus could be a sign of misogyny, of course; misanthropy (because thence additional people spring into being); and/or an indication of sexual hatred, not necessarily prostitutes per se, but copulation as a whole.

Removing the kidney (and perhaps partially consuming it) could be meaningless, although if it he had any reason for doing so, it might have been that he considered his victims impure, and in removing the kidney made them out to be just that; if he did eat it as the From Hell letter proclaims, it may have been because he felt that he was purifying himself or that he was eliminating a chance of purity for the deceased (if he was aware of the purpose of the kidneys).

Now, the removal of the heart is a bit trickier because if it meant love to him, this would be a redundant idea seeing as modern criminologists (and society in general) consider serial killers to be sociopathic and devoid of emotion, least of all love. The only other idea for the removal of the heart (if there was one) was that Mary Jane Kelly was some sort of shadow in Jack's life, perhaps a source of anger or guilt that drove him to finally destroying her.

What I have said may have no meaning whatsoever if Jack the Ripper killed for sport and collected organs as trophies, although my theory might be somewhat credible if his intent was to or did destroy the organs.

Thank you for bothering to read this, if you did, hopefully any thoughts you subsequently have or posts you make are not in a scoffing manner.

Or it could just be that the Ripper was taking what looked fascinating at the time, what may have looked to his very addled mind like edible offle, or what looked easy to remove. With out the aid of a qualified profiler I think this discussion could stray into the territory of "what sickert painted reveals what he was thinking and that makes him the Ripper" kind of assumptions. So I would advise caution if you choose to continue.
    There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

I am certain that some sort of relationship between killer and victim is an essential ingrediant for such a personal symbolic transaction to be made. Kempers harpy of a mother is an example in point, but no other Kemper victim was treated this way. I dont believe JtR had any standing relationships with his victims that would qualify. However, Kemper once removed a vics head and placed it in the ground facing up to the Kemper home, so it could " look upto " his mother.
      The mutilations might represent some statement intended for a particular person or group like the a piece of graffiti.
      Last edited by Scorpio; 01-19-2011, 07:36 PM.
      SCORPIO

Comment

Originally posted by Edarlitrix View Post
        ...We shall look more into what each of the three organs that Jack removed symbolize:
        The uterus symbolizes fertility, clearly because the fetus forms within it; femininity, because it is an organ exclusive to females; and sexuality, due to it being a sexual organ, albeit internal.

The kidney symbolizes purity because it cleanses the blood of waste (if I remember correctly).
        I'm not so sure we can read anything into the removal of these organs except that the killer was demonstrating he had the knowledge to do it, which not everyone would have.

Originally posted by Edarlitrix View Post
        The heart, obviously, represents life because it pumps the blood to all the organs so they may continue to serve their master as long as they have a decent supply of oxygen; it also signifies love, although I am not sure how this originated.
        I'm not convinced the same killer was at work with Kelly as with Nichols, Chapman & Eddowes.

Regards, Jon S.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

I just stopped in to skoff.

Have a nice day.

Mike
          huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
            I'm not convinced the same killer was at work with Kelly as with Nichols, Chapman & Eddowes.

Regards, Jon S.
            yes, i'm not convinced Long Liz really was a ripper (or if so he definitely got disturbed in his nasty job

Comment

Oh yes.
              Must be the Ripper's brother-in-law.

Bestest

Comment

David, i think there were two killers running around in whitechapel at that moment, and that's why it's so hard with "canonical" and "non-canonical" victims

Comment

You sure they were running around Whitechapel ?

I think they were rocking around the clock.

Comment

Hello All,

It has been a long while since I have posted on here. Here goes nothing.

Anyway, I think the only significant opinion that can be gleaned from the removal of the abdominal organ removal is that of the fantasy.

Yours truly,

Corey

p.s David, they were rocking around the clock, only JTR stole the show.
                    Last edited by corey123; 03-06-2011, 08:04 PM.
                    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by corey123 View Post
                      I think the only significant opinion that can be gleaned from the removal of the abdominal organ removal is that of the fantasy.
                      Hi Corey

that's indeed all we can say on the subject.

Cheers mate

Comment

Hello David,

That and he was perhaps narcissistic

I just realized I used removal twice in that sentence

Corey
                        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

No problem.

You must be stiff, as you just came back.

Comment

Hello David,

I must be used to Facebook chat heh-heh.

Anyway back to the topic.

Corey
                            Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

My opinion on the organ removal

I think the JtR removed the organs just for sport.

Comment

Working...
                              X