• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	bullseye2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	653350
    No suggestions there of course.............just something that won't go away in my mind
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Guys,

As an owner of a Bulls eye lamp I can vouch that they are smelly, dirty, smoky and very hot.

The light they give is poor yet oddly the lamp glow itself can be seen yards away, guess Neill knew that too.

My hands were always blackend after use. Now, what was left on that apron piece?

Monty.
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
        As an owner of a Bulls eye lamp I can vouch that they are smelly, dirty, smoky and very hot.
        Monty.
        I've heard that said about myself

Seriously, would not the smell of these be noticed? Perhaps not at Mitre Square after Watkins arrived but maybe at say Dutfields Yard, Bucks Row? Would the smell linger in the air?

Rob

Comment

Gawd! sounds a tad familiar here too well maybe NOT the smelly bit ...but there again!!!........SHURELY though the smell of the odd passing lamp would have been nothing to compare with the all pervading 'ordeur' of the streets in general! (spelling?? but you get the 'er .....gist)
          Well a whiff of what I'm on about!

Comment

Rob,

Did I mention that after one good blow it takes ages to get started again?

Seriously, I first used parafin which stunk. Now I use lamp oil and the odour is not as strong. Whale oil was used at the time and I do not know if that smells. If you burn it too hot the damn thing smokes awful and the casing burns, leaving a bad smell. Im not sure Watkins would notice over his own lamp.
            Monty

Comment

Hi Mont-

Right I'm going to resist your first line!

Seriously though I have been a fire eater in a previous existance and can assure you that the smell of paraffin well a) burns very hot and b) lingers... Mind you it's one hell of a lot safer than using anything petrol based!!
              Lamp oil is interesting......... I wonder what was issued to the police at the time....Lamp Oil Issue No 1 1888 may be worth a look into

...And the other smells hanging around ...even before you get to ripped up bits and pieces must surely have masked the odd lamp smell!
              Suzi

Comment

I'll think I might resist the first line as well, otherwise I'll get complaints.

It seems to me, carrying a lantern around would be more trouble then it's worth, just my opinion.

Rob

Comment

Hold the bus folks.
                  A normal 'dark lantern as used by thieves and housebreakers would utilise a small candle and nothing else, easily lit and extinguished, and with very little smoke, odour or anything else.
                  They were designed for committing crimes, not discovering crimes.

Comment

Me too Rob.....

....Look Jeff- a lantern smuggled about your person...dark or not isn't the best way to mingle with the crowd........'Oi Mister why's your pocket on fire??'

Ah that could explain the half a candle in Mary's room and the bits of wire in the fire aaaaaaagh!!! (NO!)

Come on I can't imagine that someone with any form of light source...well maybe the odd lucifer would have passed unnoticed!!!
                    Suz x

Comment

Rob, Suzi, Cap'n,

Resistance of the first line is futile.

Hold the bus indeed AP. The Bulls eye was a state of the art, dogs danglers of its age. Candle lamps were the cheapest and easily exstinguished, especially outdoors. Hence the Police used Bulls eyes.

The only reasonable time Jack could have used a lamp was after the initial attack. As there were no reports of disgarded matches at any of the scenes, and seeing as the girls would rather commit their trade in darkness, I feel evidence leads away from the use of lamps.

Just my opinion.

Monty
                      Monty

Comment

Not a discarded Vesta indeed Mont...Mind you it may have had something to do with the Matchgirl's Strike (or not) of 1888!!

Swanning along here...

Suzi x
                        Last edited by Suzi; 04-07-2008, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
                          Hold the bus folks.
                          A normal 'dark lantern as used by thieves and housebreakers would utilise a small candle and nothing else, easily lit and extinguished, and with very little smoke, odour or anything else.
                          They were designed for committing crimes, not discovering crimes.
                          Interesting AP.......Cooooooooo- Quiet and smoke free stealthily creeping through the courts...great image though

Comment

How much heat does such a "glim" produce? Not that I find its use particularly likely, but setting your coat pocket on fire is a wee bit conspicuous. ("Mister, Mister, why is your hat smoking?" "Ah lad, all this talk of murder has set my head aflame...")
                            "The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice." - Quellcrist Falconer
                            "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem" - Johannes Clauberg

Comment

Apart from anything else Jack would have looked a complete wally with a turnip on his head......Kate and co would immediately have sensed he wasnt quite right in the head looking like that

Comment

I don't know, Nats. Take Benelius. Now if Jack was a Swede, a turnip might have blended in nicely.

Comment

Working...
                                X