Jack's Punishment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack's Punishment

Lets say Jack would have been caught how would he have been sentenced?
    would he have been simply hanged?The most likely cruelest and enigmatic killer ever.Im sure compared to other murderer in his time he would have gotten a special execution.

I don't believe he would have faced any different form of execution than any other murderer. A few Victorian forms of punishment included: Hanging, Transportation and Penal Servitude (ended in 1857), Fines, Imprisonment, and Hard Labour. However, when one was charged with murder only one of these seems to suffice. So, Jack would have been sent to the gallows!
    Cheers,

Ryan Miller

Comment

Here is a nice webpage detailing Victorian Crime and Punishment...

Sorry - the website that you tried to access does not exist or has been withdrawn from service. If you think this is an error please email support@e2bn.org giving full details.
      Cheers,

Ryan Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Lika View Post
        Lets say Jack would have been caught how would he have been sentenced?
        would he have been simply hanged?The most likely cruelest and enigmatic killer ever.Im sure compared to other murderer in his time he would have gotten a special execution.
        Um, well, no. He may have been - let's suppose - the "most likely cruelest and enigmatic killer ever", but the laws which applied to him were clear. The penalty for conviction for murder was death; the means of death was hanging. So, if convicted, he would have been hanged, unless he was reprieved. He would not have been the lucky recipient of a "special execution", whatever that is. If you read accounts of hangings post-1868, the emphasis on protecting what was left of a murderer's dignity and humanity within and throughout the procedure is manifestly apparent. And the executioner James Berry, for example, frequently ended up in tears, according to his versions of the executions he carried out, and, while his memoirs may be unreliable in places, the serious emotional impact of his work is undeniable - the man genuinely suffered, but it can hardly be said that he wished his victims to.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Prior to 1832 a convicted murderer could be punished by dissection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	disct.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	656992
          Sink the Bismark

Comment

And if Jack were caught today in England, he'd be punished by having to serve six whole months under house arrest, which would be filmed by Celebrity Big brother and he'd share quarters with Peter sutcliffe and Dennis Rader and afterward signed to a 300 million pound book deal, because he clearly would not be responsible for what he did due to the mistreatment he suffered as a youth when his mother would only give him vanilla ice cream for dessert and he wanted chocolate. This parental abuse clearly contributing to his overall mental anguish made him a product of society's failings and therefore with such mitigating circumstances the public would cry out as one for his release.

Let all Oz be agreed;
            I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Ally View Post
              And if Jack were caught today in England, he'd be punished by having to serve six whole months under house arrest, which would be filmed by Celebrity Big brother and he'd share quarters with Peter sutcliffe and Dennis Rader and afterward signed to a 300 million pound book deal, because he clearly would not be responsible for what he did due to the mistreatment he suffered as a youth when his mother would only give him vanilla ice cream for dessert and he wanted chocolate. This parental abuse clearly contributing to his overall mental anguish made him a product of society's failings and therefore with such mitigating circumstances the public would cry out as one for his release.
              Ally,

And what would have been his punishment if he had been caught and convicted in, say, Scotland or Wales?

Comment

I think your regular cynicism is very well placed based in the above Ally.

I miss frontier justice myself. Someone kills someone, they pay for the crime with their life. No book deals, no miniseries. McVeigh got the closest version of that system that we still have today,...normally he'd still be on the planet.....awaiting his supreme court appeal decision. But that case was clear, and so justice was "frontier" swift.

I believe that hand amputation is still a punishment in places around the world for theft, why?.....cause its a great deterrent. As is capital punishment.

Sutcliffes and Bernardo's and Olsen's and Dalmer's and Gacy's should not be heard from again once convicted.

Cheers Ally

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
                  Ally,

And what would have been his punishment if he had been caught and convicted in, say, Scotland or Wales?
                  In Scotland he'd be made to eat haggis every day of his life and living in Wales is apparently considered punishment enough.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                  I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

no

in Wales it would be public flogging by leek until dead. Same in Scotland but with a thistle.
                    babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

In Scotland he'd be made to eat haggis every day of his life and living in Wales is apparently considered punishment enough.
                      Great stuff! I wonder what Gareth thinks about being punished so harshly!

Comment

Well the US would never cage someone for killing and raping two kiddies only to let them out to kill several prostitutes would they? Perhaps Jack would have been shipped off to a different country, have the law misinterpreted so there wouldn't have to be a trial and caged indefinitely.

Stones and glasshouses me thinks.

Comment

I can't believe there's so little consideration for poor Jack's human rights

Comment

Regarding book deals and film productions, Ripperologists and Hollywood seem to already have those things covered on the man's behalf. ;p

Comment

Originally posted by Vingle View Post
                              Well the US would never cage someone for killing and raping two kiddies only to let them out to kill several prostitutes would they? Perhaps Jack would have been shipped off to a different country, have the law misinterpreted so there wouldn't have to be a trial and caged indefinitely.

Stones and glasshouses me thinks.
                              I believe in the past few years the US has indeed released convicted serial killers, one returned to his native country Scotland and is living there at this moment. A relationship developed while in prison via visits and mail was said to have demonstrably changed his personality for the better.

Since being released, that relationship has ended.

Best regards

Comment

Working...
                              X