No announcement yet.

Fleeing covered in blood......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not as familiar with the area as I used to be... but DorsetStreet, or what's left of it, certainly still does exist, the car park was erected on the southern side of it. The northern side is ever so slightly further back than it was in 1888, but the line of the street is still extant. Thrawl Street. too. still exists, although nowadays it's simply an alleyway which runs alongside the Frying Pan {or whatever it's called nowadays} into the Flower And Dean estate. Last time I was there, the other end was still visible as a break in the pavement and buildings of Commercial Street- although by now it's probably been built over. Fashion Street is the only real "survivor" of the three streets. I'd recommend the opening chapters of "Rothschild Dwellings" by Jerry White to give a good impression of what the Rookery of Flower And Dean Street was once like. On the other hand, if you can apply your imagination to its fullest extent to the word "grim" you will probably get the picture. Abject misery and overcrowding filled all of these streets, even after Rothschild opened in 1887. The sheer size of the local {and for "local" the word "itinerant" is usually equally applicable} populace makes the FBI "conclusion as redundant as they must be wildly speculative. And the only description, at this remove, of JTR which makes any kind of sense at all must surely be "faceless and apt to vanish in a puff of smoke when subjected to genuine scrutiny".
    "If you listen to the tills you can hear the bells toll. You can hear what a state we're in".

Comment

Working...
    X