How did JtR see in the dark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
    Note the term "infliction of the injuries" no mention of the organ removals or the time needed to effect the removals
    Again, I think Sequeira was smart enough not to omit anything, and was referring to the totality of the injuries, including organ removal - an act of injury in itself.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by packers stem View Post
      Been through this so many times .
      He can't give a persepective on lighting if he wasn't there
      He was there, and furthermore very familiar with the locale.
      He also was a GP and not a surgeon
      I'm sure GPs are just as capable on assessing the level of lighting and the practicalities of (crude) organ removal as a surgeon would have been. Sequeira came from a long line of distinguished medical practitioners, and was no fool.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Eddowes was wearing three skirts and a petticoat according to the itinerary, so where are they ?
        So, how did JTR see in the dark?

(We're only on page 2 of this thread, and we're already straying off-topic.)
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          So, how did JTR see in the dark?

(We're only on page 2 of this thread, and we're already straying off-topic.)
          I was responding to a question by the OP regarding a pool of blood .If the OP wishes his post to stray surely that's his/her choice .

Lighting ..... in answer to your question
          You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

That pool of blood you mention in the sketch is considerably smaller than you believe.
            It was just one side of the neck and ran under the neck because of the pavement. A wine glass full would make that pool
            Secondly you have to question the accuracy .
            Eddowes was wearing three skirts and a petticoat according to the itinerary, so where are they ?
            There is blood all around the upper part of her body except maybe the top of her head.

What is written on the lower blood pool which even extends to legs?
            Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

The killer was used to the typical lighting conditions of late 19th century London at night. This doesn't seem particularly strange to me.

Comment

Again, I think Sequeira was smart enough not to omit anything, and was referring to the totality of the injuries, including organ removal - an act of injury in itself.
                Sam

Well he did just that, he omitted any reference to the organs being removed, he is even quoted in the Star as stating it would have only taken 3 minutes. Which for the killer to have done all that he is alleged to have done is impossible.

These reports that relate to timings etc are all over the place and totally unsafe to rely on with any accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                  Well he did just that, he omitted any reference to the organs being removed
                  Not if they're included in the injuries to which he did refer. He was unlikely only to offer his opinion on the external wounds without also including the most important injuries of all, namely the removal of the organs.
                  he is even quoted in the Star as stating it would have only taken 3 minutes. Which for the killer to have done all that he is alleged to have done is impossible.
                  Not beyond the bounds of possibility. I'd put it at a comfortable 4-5 minutes, but I don't think Sequeira was too wide of the mark; he might even have been right.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
                    The killer was used to the typical lighting conditions of late 19th century London at night.
                    Indeed. I used to struggle reading by the light of those energy-saving lightbulbs, but I've adjusted to them over time.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

How could he see the things he was taking out of their pockets?

A macabre discovery awaited them near the palings and close to where the feet of the dead woman had rested. It comprised a small piece of coarse muslin, a small-tooth comb and a pocket comb in a paper case. These articles appeared to have been the contents of the dead woman’s pocket and Dr Phillips did not think that they had been casually cast to the ground. ‘They had apparently been placed there in order,’ he would tell the inquest, ‘that is to say, arranged there.’ Near the head position was a portion of an envelope containing two pills. The back of the envelope bore a seal and the words ‘Sussex Regiment’ embossed in blue. On the other side was a letter ‘M’ in handwriting and, lower down, ‘Sp’ as if someone had written ‘Spitalfields.’ The rest of the envelope was torn away. It bore no postage stamp but there was a postmark in red: ‘London, Aug. 23, 1888.’

Sugden, Philip. The Complete History of Jack the Ripper (Kindle Locations 2165-2172). Little, Brown Book Group. Kindle Edition.

He even arranged stuff on the ground as he rooted through her pockets.
                      Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
                        In the Whitechapel murders, we have a problem that requires a solution. A solution which may be a clue. That problem is over poor lighting conditions and how JtR could have operated in darkness.

The whole light issue is a mystery. What is the best explanation put forward for this fiend with night vision and a healthy diet of carrots for vitamin A?
                        Perhaps "we" seek a pathologist who was sufficiently skilled that he could operate by touch alone.

Hmm ..... first two murders were near the London Hospital,probably on his way home along "Hanbury Street" past Dr Phillips residence.

Probably carrying chalk at the start of the term.

Four of the CV5 within his expertise.

Explains the cashous and lack of "post mortem" due to a Stride's genetic disease.

The attempt at Chapman's head removal.

Too much to list ..... again.
                        My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

"He even arranged stuff on the ground as he rooted through her pockets."

... by the light of dawn.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Reminds me of a long past Aussie entertainer renowned for being up at the crack of Dawn.

Comment

Indeed. I used to struggle reading by the light of those energy-saving lightbulbs, but I've adjusted to them over time.
                              No you haven't

Comment

There's one category of person for whom the amount of light would be irrelevant - a blind man.

Comment

Working...
                                X