Time-gap between Eddowes murder and Goulston Graffito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G'day Jon

Thanks. Did the black stop at that height?

72" though is 6 foot, you probably need to knock at least 6" off each height.

You have allowed it would seem 3 inches per brick plus mortar, is that right, if we allow 3 1/2 per and make head height 66 inches and shoulder 56 inches which is about the 2nd line of the writing.

And then was it rubbed by a shoulder, a back an arm or what, I don't think we will ever know.
    Last edited by GUT; 05-12-2014, 07:11 PM.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Also Jon

That writing looks a bit Arabic is that a hint we have overlooked?

G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
        G'day Jon

Thanks. Did the black stop at that height?
        Thats what one source told us, the black Dado only came up four feet.

72" though is 6 foot, you probably need to knock at least 6" off each height.
        Thats true, it was only a rough guide.

You have allowed it would seem 3 inches per brick plus mortar, is that right,...
        I know I took the brick size from an example of 19th century bricks, but its so long ago now I can't remember the actual dimensions used
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Hi Wick, if I'm not mistaken the Victorian brick was 9 inches by 4 inches.

Regards

Observer

Comment

• Sorry Jon

had missed the reference to 4 foot, I've got it now. What I can't find is a reference to the shoulder.
            G U T

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
              Sorry Jon

had missed the reference to 4 foot, I've got it now. What I can't find is a reference to the shoulder.
              It was Arnold who said that ‘...it (the writing) was in such a position that it would have been rubbed by the shoulders of persons passing in and out of the Building’.

The best,
              Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                Hi Gareth

Sorry I still have huge trouble accepting the graffito as being anywhere other than inside...as was the piece of apron according to the primary evidence... (or as close to it as we're going to get)...it (the apron piece). had of course been removed by the time Warren arrived.

In fact it's only Warren's word in his formal report to the Home Office that suggests the graffito was on the jamb itself (as opposed to somewhere it might get rubbed by passing shoulders)...

All the best

Dave
                Like I said before, Dave, Warren explicitly said that it was on the jamb of the doorway, and easy to see for people passing in the street.
                Once we know that, we must ask ourselves what the writing must have looked like to fit with this description.
                It must have been very small, and it must have been divided into a number of lines, thatīs how it must have looked. Otherwise the jamb would not allow for it in terms of size and width.

And what do we have? We have very small letters, divided into five lines. And when we measure the whole thing, we can see that it would fit eminently on the jamb. Where, incidentally, it would be easy to see for people passing in the street.

If it was NOT on the jamb, why would the killer shape it perfectly to fit it? Why not write in larger, more easily drafted letters, and keep it in one line?

Please also note what Arnold said - it was people passing IN AND OUT OF THE BUILDING who would rub their shoulders against the graffito. And it is only when you do so that you would have come in contact with the jamb.

So thatīs where it was, no doubt.

The best,
                Fisherman
                Last edited by Fisherman; 05-12-2014, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                  Hi GUT.

Have you seen this example?

The 72" only represents a mans height.
                  The 49.5" is the top of the highest brick above 48" (the top of the black dado).
                  These dimensions were derived from the width of a standard brick plus each cement line between.

I did this only as a visual aid.
                  Now, you Brits are going to have to help me with the conversion into your strange world of measures!

Eddowes was around 152,5 centimeters. That would be around 60 inches, correct?
                  If that is correct, then her shoulders would have been at around 45 inches, if I am not totally wrong.

It would therefore make sense, in relation to what Arnold said.

... but I am very uncomfortable with feet and inches, so if Iīm wrong, do tell me!

The best,
                  Fisherman

Comment

• Fish,

1 meter is about 39 inches. I'm stopping with that. Unfortunately I do metric conversion every day. Kilometre=.62 miles. 100 meters= about 110 yards. So your calculations are pretty close. A typical head is about 10 inches. A neck, maybe 4 or 5. So you are right. Now my head hurts again.

Mike
                    huh?

Comment

• G'day Fisherman

Thanks for the reference, but how would he know what had brushed against it and by the "shoulder" does he mean tip of shoulder or side of upper?

Your conversions of measurements are pretty close. I think 15 inches or about 38 cm is a bit much on head to shoulders, my bride is about same height as Eddowes and a measurement on her says about 25 cm or 10 inches is closer.

But I still think it fits close enough to what we know.
                      G U T

Comment

• Thanks, Mike and GUT!

As for tips of shoulders as opposed to sides of upper, I think Arnold was simply speaking very generally about the shoulder and arm area being prone to coming in contact with the area where the writing was when you rounded that corner. I donīt think he had any particular shoulder in mind, much less any particular part of that particular shoulder ...!

The best,
                        Fisherman

Comment

• Ok I am lost now, measuring heights, neck, shoulders etc contributes what?

It is clearly a "what colour is my parachute "argument", pointless to everyone except those carrying it out..

I am genuinely puzzled, does it tells us anything about JtR? The answer is no. Does it contribute to the knowledge pool in a meaningful way? The answer is no.

Yet so many minds are happily skipping along in continuing the :argument".

Comment

• And yes I know the way to gain "rank" in here is never to write a paragraph but write only "one liners".

Comment

• I do have a question on the time gap between Eddowes and Stride though.

If we ignore Schwartz evidence for Mortimers, i.e. someone who saw nothing out of the ordinary vs someone who casts himself as "the victim". Who is to say Stride was killed around 1am? That was when she was discovered.

I would much rather discuss that and a "someone of any height" may or may not brush their shoulder of a wall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sunbury View Post
                                I do have a question on the time gap between Eddowes and Stride though.

If we ignore Schwartz evidence for Mortimers, i.e. someone who saw nothing out of the ordinary vs someone who casts himself as "the victim". Who is to say Stride was killed around 1am? That was when she was discovered.

I would much rather discuss that and a "someone of any height" may or may not brush their shoulder of a wall.
                                I think you may want to discuss this on a Stride thread. And I think you will find there that there are those who say 12.45 is the better suggestion whereas others will opt for 1 AM.

And then you can leave us nincompoops to discuss uninteresting matters like shoulders, chalk and rags here.

The best,
                                Fisherman
                                Last edited by Fisherman; 05-13-2014, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X