Time-gap between Eddowes murder and Goulston Graffito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
    I´ll just merrily settle for the recognition that the writing was on the jamb, and call it a night, then.
    Don't get me wrong - I still have some doubts as to the graffito's location, because the records still leave room for ambiguity. However, your logic made perfect sense to me, and I'm edging towards your way of thinking on the matter. (Of the graffito's location, specifically - not the rest )
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      Do I really have to list the number of times where - in so many words - you've insisted that Long would definitely have noticed the apron if it had been there at 2:20? That detecting just about anything, even litter, would have been part of his job?
      Well, that was not the premise, was it - that Long would have noticed the apron?

The premise now was, and I quote: "your contention that it was his job to notice just about everything on his beat."

I never said any such thing, and I never believed such a thing.

I think that Long would have taken an interest in the doorways along his beat, and I think that he would have checked them to some degree, that´s all.

I have furthermore never said that "Long would definitely have noticed the apron if it had been there at 2:20". What I have said, and what I stand by, is that it is the better bid, given what he said at the inquest. Apart from that, I have repeatedly said that he may have missed the rag.

Finally, I have never said that detecting litter was part of his job, have I?

I am fine with criticism, but it has to deal with what I say, not with what others mistakenly claim that I have said.

I am certain that the exact same applies to you.

The best,
      Fisherman
      Last edited by Fisherman; 05-11-2014, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Don't get me wrong - I still have some doubts as to the graffito's location, because the records still leave room for ambiguity. However, your logic made perfect sense to me, and I'm edging towards your way of thinking on the matter. (Of the graffito's location, specifically - not the rest )
        I´m in no hurry at all, as long as we get it right in the end.

The best,
        Fisherman

Comment

Well, that was not the premise, was it - that Long would have noticed the apron?

The premise now was, and I quote: "your contention that it was his job to notice just about everything on his beat."

I never said any such thing, and I never believed such a thing.
          You certainly gave that impression, but perhaps I was mistaken. If I was, I take it that you accept that Long would NOT necessarily have noticed the apron the first time round?
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

You certainly gave that impression, but perhaps I was mistaken. If I was, I take it that you accept that Long would NOT necessarily have noticed the apron the first time round?
            YES!!!

... but I think the material we have, Longs words at the inquest, Halse´s ditto, the acceptance on behalf of coroner and jury, the empirical data attaching to questions like these, all of these things are more in favour of Long NOT having missed the rag.

But of course he MAY have missed it. If I said anything else, I would not be making a sound argument.

Can I make a weighing inbetween the two? Is it 90-10 in favour of Long having been correct? Or 60-40?

I really can´t say. Personally, I would say that it is not a close call. Not at all. But I know that others say that they disagree.

I also believe that there are posters out here that intellectually realize that it would not be a close call, but nevertheless choose to argue solely that Long could have missed the rag.

But maybe that´s just me.

The best,
            Fisherman

Comment

YES!!!

... but I think the material we have, Longs words at the inquest, Halse´s ditto, the acceptance on behalf of coroner and jury, the empirical data attaching to questions like these, all of these things are more in favour of Long NOT having missed the rag.
              Agreed, he 'may have' missed it.
              It is easy to convey the wrong impression, not speaking face to face is part of the problem, but yes, we are only talking about what the evidence suggests, not what is absolute fact.

It's a point we might all overlook from time to time in our haste to make a point?
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Jon,
                The notebook was available for the superiors to check,and Long didn't leave the building to find the other constable,he blew his whistle,and the other beat constable came to his aid.I,ll say just once more,there was no need for Long to remove the rag,but by doing so,he created a situation where only his word remained that the rag was in the position he describes.So,was his actions dictated by accident ,lack of discipline,or design?

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
                  Jon,
                  The notebook was available for the superiors to check,and Long didn't leave the building to find the other constable,he blew his whistle,and the other beat constable came to his aid.I,ll say just once more,there was no need for Long to remove the rag,but by doing so,he created a situation where only his word remained that the rag was in the position he describes.So,was his actions dictated by accident ,lack of discipline,or design?
                  I find it highly unlikely Long blew his whistle.

Monty
                  Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                    I find it highly unlikely Long blew his whistle.

Wet his whistle?

Mike
                    huh?

Comment

• Monty,
                      You may be right.Long is stated as calling the officer from the other beat,the how is not defined.Still doesn't mean he had to retrieve the rag before doing so.

Comment

Long says he embarked on a search of the staircases inside WMD around about three, before taking the apron to the police station, leaving another Metropolitan PC in charge "of the stair" (interesting choice of words). He says that he'd heard about the Mitre Square murder before he left for the station, so it's quite possible that he got the news from the PC whom he'd left on sentry duty. Whilst Long doesn't give a specific time, it appears that he found out about Eddowes' murder some time after 3 in the morning.
                        Sam,

I don't see around 3:00 being the time, it doesn't make any sense. He said it was common knowledge a murder took place. How could such recent news (5 minutes if it was the PC) be considered common knowledge? In stating he heard of the first murder before he left for the station, he could mean anytime between those two events.

Maybe the timing isn't that important or maybe it is. In his second round, did he pay more attention hence he was able to find two clues he wasn't looking for before the first time? Speculation I know.

Cheers
                        DRoy

Comment

• Hi Gareth

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          Sorry I still have huge trouble accepting the graffito as being anywhere other than inside...as was the piece of apron according to the primary evidence... (or as close to it as we're going to get)...it (the apron piece). had of course been removed by the time Warren arrived.

In fact it's only Warren's word in his formal report to the Home Office that suggests the graffito was on the jamb itself (as opposed to somewhere it might get rubbed by passing shoulders)...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• I'm not sure where "shoulders" came from, Halse did say it may have become rubbed off, but I don't think he said by "shoulders".

One source described the writing as being lower than 4ft, because the black dado only went up that high.
                            Too low for shoulders.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• G'day Dave

In fact it's only Warren's word in his formal report to the Home Office that suggests the graffito was on the jamb itself (as opposed to somewhere it might get rubbed by passing shoulders)...
                              Why couldn't it be brushed against if it was on the jamb?

I don't have a view at this stage on where it was.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post

Why couldn't it be brushed against if it was on the jamb?

I don't have a view at this stage on where it was.
                                Hi GUT.

Have you seen this example?

The 72" only represents a mans height.
                                The 49.5" is the top of the highest brick above 48" (the top of the black dado).
                                These dimensions were derived from the width of a standard brick plus each cement line between.

I did this only as a visual aid.
                                Last edited by Wickerman; 05-12-2014, 06:56 PM.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X