Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by harry View Post
    Jon,
    Where has it been substanciated that the apron piece was on the floor beneath the writing? Nowhere.It is a claim by Long,an unsubtanciated claim,that it was so,and no,we do not have to accept it was there simply because Long states it was.We need corrorberating evidence,and there is none.
    Obviously, Long would lie about that, right?

Fisherman

Comment

• Fisherman,
      Not obvious, but possible.

Comment

Where has it been substanciated that the apron piece was on the floor beneath the writing? Nowhere.It is a claim by Long,an unsubtanciated claim,that it was so,and no,we do not have to accept it was there simply because Long states it was
        In fairness to Long, all he says was that the graffito was on the wall above the apron. What is unsubstantiated is the idea that the apron and graffito were directly aligned, which some people take as axiomatic - despite the fact that neither Long, nor anyone else at the time, makes any such claim. All we can say with reasonable certainty is that the writing was somewhere above the apron on the same wall.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          Halse never saw the apron in situ, in fact in the official Inquest source he does not suggest a location for the apron.
          I don't believe that the papers made up Halse's statement that, owing to the apron's being "in the building", he might not necessarily have seen it. Besides, its being "in the building" is entirely consistent with Long's testimony that it was "in the passage".
          We know from other sources that "where the apron was found was pointed out to him", however precise this was, and who pointed it out remains unknown.
          Irrespective of precision, I'm sure Halse's source could distinguish between the pillar at the entrance and the passage itself. And Long places it in the passage (as distinct from "by the entrance").
          Warren also added that it couldn't be covered up (easily?), due to its location.
          On the jamb would indeed be difficult, but inside on the wall should not cause a problem given its small size and the fact it was lower than 4ft from the ground.
          On the jamb could have been easier, because we're dealing with a "corner" against which some purchase could be attained. Covering something up on a flat wall would have been rather more difficult, especially in the days before Blu-Tack was invented.
          Last edited by Sam Flynn; 05-10-2014, 02:40 AM.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            In fairness to Long, all he says was that the graffito was on the wall above the apron. What is unsubstantiated is the idea that the apron and graffito were directly aligned
            But...I don't believe it matters. Had Long said there was a lot of different graffiti above the apron, then we have a completely different situation. Had he said, that they were very close to each other, which is the implication I believe, that would be good enough for me to make a connection, valid or not.

Cheers,

Mike
            huh?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
              Obviously, Long would lie about that, right?
              Long didn't lie about it - or, specifically, he never gave precise coordinates that fixed the position of the apron with respect to the graffito. He just said that the latter was "above it on the wall" / "on the wall above it" (take your pick).
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                But...I don't believe it matters. Had Long said there was a lot of different graffiti above the apron, then we have a completely different situation. Had he said, that they were very close to each other, which is the implication I believe, that would be good enough for me to make a connection, valid or not.
                It matters inasmuch as some are wont to make a connection, and assert that they were closely aligned. But was the alignment really that close? We really can't confirm that it was, based on the evidence we have.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

I don't believe that the papers made up Halse's statement that, owing to the apron's being "in the building", he might not necessarily have seen it.
                  Incidentally, even if it was a juror* (as you suggest) who came up with the "in the building" statement, from whom did he get that information? Not everything that was said ended up in the papers, or in the official records for that matter. Happily for us, the main man - Long - places the apron unequivocally in the passage leading to the stairs, whichever source you read.

* Edit: It wasn't a juror, it was Halse:

"At twenty minutes past two o'clock I passed over the spot where the piece of apron was found, but did not notice anything then. I should not necessarily have seen the piece of apron." (Halse, in the Daily Telegraph)

"At about 20 minutes after 2 he passed over the spot where the piece of apron was found. If it was there then he would not necessarily have seen it, for it was in the building." (Halse, in The Times)
                  Last edited by Sam Flynn; 05-10-2014, 03:22 AM.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                    G'day Monty

Yep and I follow what you mean, except it was the handwriting they read all the time and not being able to get the "not" in the same place worries me more than the spelling of "Juwes".
                    Yep, fair comment.

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Jon,
                      Where has it been substanciated that the apron piece was on the floor beneath the writing? Nowhere.It is a claim by Long,an unsubtanciated claim,that it was so,and no,we do not have to accept it was there simply because Long states it was.We need corrorberating evidence,and there is none.
                      Harry.
                      What do we have to substantiate the piece of apron being anywhere else in this building? Where is the proof?

Halse never saw the apron in place.
                      PC long is the only witness, who else do you prefer to believe?

If Long's statement is good enough for the Coroner, why is it not good enough for you?
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post

So either it was written on the inside wall, in a format cut out to fit the jamb exactly. Or it was on the jamb.
                        See....this is why I like to have your opinion, yes, the suggested arrangement of the words, essentially 'stacked in small groups', rather than written out in one continuous line is a strong indicator that the words were written in a location which was short of width space - ie; like a narrow jamb.

Thankyou, I don't recall anyone pointing this out before. Sometimes we fail to see the wood for the trees.
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Incidentally, even if it was a juror* (as you suggest) who came up with the "in the building" statement, from whom did he get that information? Not everything that was said ended up in the papers, or in the official records for that matter. Happily for us, the main man - Long - places the apron unequivocally in the passage leading to the stairs, whichever source you read.

* Edit: It wasn't a juror, it was Halse:

"At twenty minutes past two o'clock I passed over the spot where the piece of apron was found, but did not notice anything then. I should not necessarily have seen the piece of apron." (Halse, in the Daily Telegraph)

"At about 20 minutes after 2 he passed over the spot where the piece of apron was found. If it was there then he would not necessarily have seen it, for it was in the building." (Halse, in The Times)
                          What I was pointing out Gareth was that Halse made no mention of the location in the original Inquest statement. And, even in the Daily Telegraph he is not credited with suggesting it was "in the building".
                          The only mention of "in the building" came from a juror..

A Juror: It seems surprising that a policeman should have found the piece of apron in the passage of the buildings, and yet made no inquiries in the buildings themselves.

What you have is contention between two press sources, the Times credits him saying it was in the building, the Daily Telegraph does not.
                          The original also does not.
                          What you may have is the result of assumption in paraphrase by the Times reporter.

Halse did not know because he was not present, his opinion therefore is mere heresay. There is no point in promoting the opinion of someone who did not see the apron in place, especially when we can't be certain those words were actually spoken by him, as opposed to a reporters assumption.
                          Last edited by Wickerman; 05-10-2014, 10:54 AM.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Long didn't lie about it - or, specifically, he never gave precise coordinates that fixed the position of the apron with respect to the graffito. He just said that the latter was "above it on the wall" / "on the wall above it" (take your pick).
                            Ehrm. That was a tongue in cheek comment, Gareth, not a suggestion as such.

All we know is that the writing was on the jamb, and in shoulder heigth, which fixes that particular location very precisely. The rag would have been below the writing, but not necessarily rigth below it. However, the more below it, the more precise the phrasing "above it on the wall" / "on the wall above it" will be.

The best,
                            Fisherman

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                              See....this is why I like to have your opinion, yes, the suggested arrangement of the words, essentially 'stacked in small groups', rather than written out in one continuous line is a strong indicator that the words were written in a location which was short of width space - ie; like a narrow jamb.

Thankyou, I don't recall anyone pointing this out before. Sometimes we fail to see the wood for the trees.
                              You are ever so welcome, Jon - as always!

The best,
                              Fisherman

Comment

Jon,
                                Hi Harry,

I'm not, as you probably know, someone who accepts Long's evidence uncritically, because of what we know of his conduct elsewhere. However, whilst it can be argued that he might have had reason to dissemble about an earlier visit to the stairwell location, I can't see that he would have had any for misrepresenting the precise location where he did find the apron piece, because there is no suggestion that I am aware of that it was in plain sight, and therefore unmissable. There is no corroboration of the exact location because no-one else saw it; that doesn't mean it wasn't there.
                                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X