No announcement yet.

Time-gap between Eddowes murder and Goulston Graffito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intended to leave a message, why write it so small?

I often wondered if the letters of the writing were 3/4 inches meaning 3-4 inches? I just cant imagine it being so small. If as you say and allowing for spaces the whole thing would only have been about 5 inches in total? Most people wouldn't even see that....

Pat....................................

Comment

"There has never been any doubt that the portion of apron came from Catherine Eddowes. Dr Frederick Gordon Brown, the City Police Surgeon stated on the first day of the Inquest, held on Thursday October 4th, that "......My attention was called to the apron - it was the corner of the apron with a string attached. The blood spots were of recent origin - I have seen a portion of an apron produced by Doctor Phillips and stated to have been found in Goulston Street. It's impossible to say it is human blood, I fitted the piece of apron, which had a new piece of material on it, which had been evidently sewn on to the piece I have - the seams of the borders of the two actually corresponding - some blood and apparently faecal matter was found on the portion found in Goulston Street"

Dr F. G. Brown described the portion of apron still with the body as 'it was the corner of the apron with a string attached'.

Reading Rob House's thoughts, he certainly could've been heading on up to 3 Sion Square, where Kosminki was written to have been admitted to the asylum from. His brothers address.

Attached Files

Comment

Disposal of cloth

If Jack went home first he would have burnt the cloth surely, He ran a risk being found with it if he went back out with it. Maybe he was hiding in that building or somewhere near?

Pat............................

Comment

Just to clarify... since this article was written (some 8 years ago), more information has been discovered. My best guess is that at the time of the Ripper murders, Aaron Kozminski was living either at 74 Greenfield St or at 25 Providence Street. Either way, it would still be a logical route for him to take home after the Eddowes murder, going down Wentworth Street then crossing Whitechapel Road somewhere near Osborne Street.

Rob H

Comment

If it was Kosminski

Woops sorry Rob you beat me to it....
            Pat................
            Last edited by Paddy; 01-26-2014, 05:11 PM. Reason: Duplicated

Comment

Can someone help me?

On the above map, can someone tell be roughly the diameter of the circle. I really struggle with maps that don't give a scale.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Distance

Hi GUT its roughly about a mile and half.... not far at all !

Pat...................

Comment

Thanks Paddy so about a 20 min walk.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Obviously a lot less in a hurry, they used to say 4 miles per hour was a fairly normal walking pace, neither dawdling nor rushing.
                    G U T

Comment

Distance

He would only have had to get to the main road and there would have been loads of people about...In my youth i went down there to (I think) Goulston street to Tubby Isaacs stall, in the middle of the night...Loads of people about !

Pat................................

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        Must have been Druitt, only teachers and Barristers do as much writing as Jack, 1000's of letters to police, Graffiti all over the place.
                        He gave Eddowes bad marks.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

G'Day Tom

Not as bad as the marks he gave Kelly she must have been really naughty.
                          G U T

Comment

Rob
                            I would say the most logical route for Kozminski from Mitre Square would have been to cross Aldgate High Street quickly and go back via Great Alie Street.
                            Unless he was also responsible for Stride and he was savvy enough to think he had better stay north of the Aldgate High Street- Whitechapel High Street – Whitechapel Road axis to avoid any police activity emanating from Berner Street.
                            Greenfield Street would best be approached in such circumstances from the north.
                            To get safely back to Providence Street would probably entail a loop to the east, coming in from the Cannon Street Road direction.
                            Either way Kozminski would have to have been very alert as to his predicamemt.

Comment

Originally posted by JTRSickert View Post
                              Greetings everyone!

I wanted to talk about a subject that has been bugging me lately. I want to go over the chronology of the morning of the 30th September 1888, and then pose a rather interesting question. OK, here we go:

1:45am: PC Watkins discovers the mutilated body of Catherine Eddowes in Mitre Square, and reports he saw nothing there only 15 minutes before.

2:20am: PC Alfred Long, walking on his beat, goes down Goulston St., reports not seeing anything unusual.

2:50am: Long again goes down Goulston St. and discovers the bloody apron and the message.

So, if we take Long at his word and agree that, at the very least, the apron was NOT there at 2:20am, then that means JTR didn't go down Goulston St. until sometime between 2:20am-2:50am. So, let's compromise and say the apron was left at around 2:35am approximately. That's still a 50 minute gap between when JTR left Mitre Square and the time he went down Goulston St.

My question to everyone is: what do YOU think JTR was doing for that approx. 50 minute duration? Did he go somewhere to clean up? Did he deposit his body parts somewhere where he could pick them up later? Did he remain in the City, or did head back to Whitechapel right away.

It definitely wouldn't have taken 50 minutes to go from one location to the other because Goulston St., is right near the City of London boundary!
                              Hello JTRS ,

I still think one of the more questionable aspects surrounding the finding of the apron is : In a Market street such as Goulston street, or Dalston's Ridley road , or even Chapel street , for that matter , Where they are never quite free of rubbish or litter at any given time , Why would a piece of wet **** rag be such a revelation , baring in mind at this point no one knew ( in particular Long ) that any such item was (A) missing from the victim , or (B) had any relevance to anything involved with the victim . At a time when every available Bobby was scouring the streets on the hunt for JTR , Long decides to pick up a wet dirty **** rag from a litter ridden market street and take himself out of the hunt .. with the aid of hindsight it was obviously the right decision to make, but Long did not have that aid . At what point does he decide " I am going to carry this stinky **** ridden rag all the way back to the station and hail is as a great find" Did Long look through every piece of throwaway rubbish on the street that night ? If some one can show me that our market streets of today ( on any given day ) are not as well cleaned and litter free as those of 1888 Whitechapel , then I may have to reconsider

cheers

moonbegger .

Comment

I dont see why he would be compelled to word it in that manner if he was unsure, when using "I dont recall seeing it" would suffice.
                                One possibility is that he was supposed to check the stairwells on every round but had omitted to do so on the key occasion. Another is that he was certain, but mistaken, a not uncommon state of affairs.
                                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X