Time-gap between Eddowes murder and Goulston Graffito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRoy:

The point was he didn't see it in the first place. This is white chalk on black facia that many seemed quite paranoid about so it obviously could be seen relatively easily. Why didn't he see it before? The question isn't any more difficult than that.

Luckily, the answer could be just as easy. Imagine that he went into the doorway, and that it was very dark. He can make out that there is something lying on the floor, and he turns on his lamp, and sees the rag. The beam of light is directed towards the floor at this stage.
    He then realizes that he is looking at fresh blood, and so he lifts the lamp to give the surroundings a sweep of it - and lo and behold ...

I had no doubt you'd see it that way. The Coroner 'calls him out' by making the comment that Long didn't share the spelling of Jews might have been Juwes. The Coroner nor Crawford gave it to Halse because Halse unlike Long was sure of the details and admitted when he wasn't. They obviously believed Hulse which is why he wasn't questioned the same way.

Maybe you should read the Morning Advertiser. It goes like this:

Mr. Crawford - Was not what was written above the apron "The Jews are not the men that will be blamed for nothing?" - The words were as I have stated.

Is it not possible you put the "not" in the wrong place? - I believe the words were as I have stated.

Was the word spelt, not "Jews" but "Juwes"? - It may have been.

So not much of hesitation on Longīs behalf there. In contrast to the reports on how certain Long was, this issue actually does differ a lot.

Most likely because he was?

That is a very premature guess. They are too frequent in this errand.

You've got the perfect answer for everything!

No - recorded history does.

My point in all of this part was to show his confidence dwindle, mistakes he made, the way he was treated (almost like a hostile witness), etc. You make him sound like a hero that just happened to miss out on a bunch of important things going on around him except for the fact he was certain the apron piece wasn't there at 2:20. Okay Fish!

As you have been shown, Long does not admit to having missed out on anything. He recognizes that since somebody MUST be wrong, it would be daft on his behalf to claim that the only one who could not be potentially wrong was him.

No, he got questioned pretty hard by Crawford and Langham. I believe by the first two questions Langham asks Long it appears he's asking Long is he really sure because the timing doesn't make much sense. Crawford and Langham follow those two questions with calling him out about the GSG...in other words they both believed Long was wrong about that too. It is apparent they believed Halse's version.

Which was that he didnīt notice the apron at 2.20. And please observe that the Halse version of the GSG was NOT the one that went down in history as the correct one. That would owe to what was believed back then to a significant degree methinks.

Regarding the Juror, there is 'A Juror' and 'The Juror'. I would suggest this was two different Jurors so one still gave it to him including commenting at the end of Hulse's testimony.

True - one juror had a random remark about how he thought that the house in itīs entirety should have been searched, but he also commanded Long and the police for their overall performance, whereupon the rest of the jurors went "Hear, hear!".
    That should tell us a lot.

Not one of the witnesses got as 'harshly' questioned as Long did at the inquest. They must have had a reason for that. Whether he was being purposely or unintentionally misleading, I'm not sure how anyone can read Long's testimony and see it any other way than those that questioned him didn't believe or trust portions of his testimony.

They spoke to Long before Halse about the GSG, and they wondered about the discrepancies. They knew that somebody had gotten it wrong, so they had to establish exactly how Long had recorded it. He gave his version verbally, and his notebook confirmed it later on.
    Then they listened to Halse:
    "By Mr. Crawford - Before the writing on the wall was rubbed out I took a note of it. The exact words I wrote down are, "The Juwes are not the men that will be blamed for nothing."

He apparently had his book with him, and said that the EXACT words he had written down were "The Juwes are not the men that will be blamed for nothing."

What did you expect the jurymen to do at that stage? Yell "Liar"? Arguably not - they were given two contradictory wordings, and when the fog lifted, the version that was accepted had traits of both menīs wordings. "Juwes" was bought from Halse, and a "not" was removed, as per Long.
    It takes a very suspicious mind to read a decapitation of Long into this. Personally, I wonīt go there.

If Long is to believed because his testimony is in evidence then what he said is correct until proven otherwise.

I think it is wiser worded that his version is the one we must rely upon until proven otherwise. But by and large, you are correct: whn a serving PC, witnessing at an inquest, tells us in no uncertain terms that he is sure that the apron was not there at 2.20, then we must work from the presumption that the information is correct.

Now ask yourself how many of the things he said can be either disputed or proven wrong by conflicting evidence? Based on my review, the only things not proven incorrect are the things where nobody else is present and therefore not possible to provide any conflicting evidence. Everything else that can be disputed is!

What an odd way to argue! Halse could be disputed on the GSG too. As soon as there are two versions, we know that one - at least - must be wrong. But how does this knowledge tell us that the one that must have been wrong was Long? It is one hell of a way away from being "proven wrong", at any rate!

And what other issues were there, where Long could be "disputed or proven wrong"? Surely you have realized that I do not share your suspicions against Longs veracity? So itīs all in the eye of the beholder, and look what happens. Mountains out of molehills - and the moles are on vacation!

The best,
    Fisherman
    Last edited by Fisherman; 04-02-2014, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
      Hi Christer

Point taken...but we all seem to assume that after, (presumably very narrowly), evading the police at Mitre Square, (and other locations), he made off at high speed...what if that wasn't part of his escape MO? What if instead of racing off he went to ground until the fuss died down a bit?

Or what if circumstances dictated that he did so on this occasion only?

I'm not saying it's so...in fact it doesn't do much for me personally...but I think it's a possibility we ought to consider

All the best

Dave
      Actually, the five minute proposal involves no speeding at all.

As for him going to ground until the fuss died down, that fuss did not die down in half an hour. But of course it may be what he did nevertheless. Thereīs always room for speculation. He could have scaled the wall to Kearley & Tongeīs, and watched the huffing and puffing from the roof, leisurely ascending and heading for Goulston Street when noone looked.

Of course, your proposal is far more credible, and cannot be outright rejected. Itīs not a scenario I personally would favour, but there you are - keeping everybody happy is harder than finding the Ripper ...

The best,
      Fisherman

Comment

What if instead of racing off he went to ground until the fuss died down a bit?
        But Dave, that is exactly what Fisherman is arguing, that his suspect Charles Cross (Lechmere), after murdering Catherine Eddowes, took the body parts and went to Pickford's at the Broad Street Station Goods Depot, northwest of there. He laid low for awhile. Then, after a bit, still carrying the apron, he proceeded to Goulston Street where he deposited the apron there.

Fisherman is posting on this thread because he has a reason for the time-gap, the subject of the thread. But he won't say that. Fisherman has 124 posts on this thread. He could simply say 124 times he thinks Lechmere went to Pickfords first, then Goulston, and that's the reason for the apron delay.

Because I was reading through this thread, and it occured to me - poeple who are debating Fisherman don't know who or what they are debating against. Because he'd rather not say.

Roy
        Sink the Bismark

Comment

• Hi DRoy

But Dave, that is exactly what Fisherman is arguing, that his suspect Charles Cross (Lechmere), after murdering Catherine Eddowes, took the body parts and went to Pickford's at the Broad Street Station Goods Depot, northwest of there. He laid low for awhile. Then, after a bit, still carrying the apron, he proceeded to Goulston Street where he deposited the apron there.
          Yes I'm aware Christer might have an ulterior motive, but respect him enough to know that directly soliciting him for an honest opinion will generally result in just that being given...

Also I'm speculating that maybe it was part of the killer's escape MO every time...which doesn't necessarily link with Broad Street...just move away from the crime-scene five minutes or so, then go to ground somewhere, (which indicates at least some familiarity with the territory), for perhaps half to three quarters of an hour or so...then emerge and blamelessly make a leisured passage home when the immediate hue and cry had subsided.

And if it applied this time only, lurking in Goulston Street also does not necessitate a visit to Broad Street!

As I said at the outset, and Christer agreed...although it doesn't seem very likely, it's still a possibility we have to consider ...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Luckily, the answer could be just as easy. Imagine that he went into the doorway, and that it was very dark. He can make out that there is something lying on the floor, and he turns on his lamp, and sees the rag. The beam of light is directed towards the floor at this stage.
            He then realizes that he is looking at fresh blood, and so he lifts the lamp to give the surroundings a sweep of it - and lo and behold ...
            Fish,

So he can see a white apron piece that is discolored from blood and feces but not notice white writing on a black background? Not very observant for someone who was so adamant the apron piece wasn't there before. Instead we are to believe he shined his light in the exact spot the apron wasn't at 2:20 but now was at 2:55 but didn't notice the writing until looking for blood spots at 2:55. Luckily the answer is easy!

Maybe you should read the Morning Advertiser.
            That example shows he was asked for clarification because they obviously knew it differed from Halse's and by treating him like this it is obvious who they believed. How do you seriously not see that?

As you have been shown, Long does not admit to having missed out on anything. He recognizes that since somebody MUST be wrong, it would be daft on his behalf to claim that the only one who could not be potentially wrong was him.
            I've been shown? No that isn't the case at all. He admits he doesn't know whether he got the spelling of Jews correct and he admits it's possible he put the 'not' in the wrong place. Whether admitting it or not, he also missed the GSG at 2:20 (if it was there) or at 2:55 until stumbling upon it by accident while looking for blood. Finally he didn't hear the dispute whether to rub the GSG out although apparently it was in his presence.

Which was that he didnīt notice the apron at 2.20. And please observe that the Halse version of the GSG was NOT the one that went down in history as the correct one. That would owe to what was believed back then to a significant degree methinks.
            I don't think it matters which version is accepted as the more likely one, the point is it is obvious who was believed at the time. Just read the inquest!

True - one juror had a random remark about how he thought that the house in itīs entirety should have been searched, but he also commanded Long and the police for their overall performance, whereupon the rest of the jurors went "Hear, hear!".
            That should tell us a lot.
            Fish, they are labelled as two different Jurors as I have written them. One is 'A Juror' and the other is 'The Juror'. You are talking about something different.

They spoke to Long before Halse about the GSG, and they wondered about the discrepancies. They knew that somebody had gotten it wrong, so they had to establish exactly how Long had recorded it. He gave his version verbally, and his notebook confirmed it later on.
            They listened to Long, they gave him 4 questions about the wording, they listened to Halse, they didn't ask him one question about the wording although he offered the wording himself, they ask Long 5 more questions about the wording.

It takes a very suspicious mind to read a decapitation of Long into this. Personally, I wonīt go there.
            Yeah, they totally believed Long and felt Halse was wrong.

What an odd way to argue! Halse could be disputed on the GSG too. As soon as there are two versions, we know that one - at least - must be wrong. But how does this knowledge tell us that the one that must have been wrong was Long? It is one hell of a way away from being "proven wrong", at any rate!
            Proven wrong: there was a dispute whether to erase the GSG
            Disputed: wording of the GSG
            Result: They obviously believed Halse and not Long for some reason! They were there, they had the evidence, they heard the testimony, there must be a reason they thought this way. The questions they asked, who they asked, why they asked them...all had a purpose. Why did they feel they needed to go over the questions as they did with Long if he was completely believed?

Surely you have realized that I do not share your suspicions against Longs veracity? So itīs all in the eye of the beholder, and look what happens. Mountains out of molehills - and the moles are on vacation!
            Now why on earth would you stick up for this guy after I have shown (quite convincingly in my opinion) I have "suspicions against Longs veracity"? Oh yeah, forgot you have a suspect in mind...interpret the evidence to fit which scenario best fits your favorite scenario by totally disregarding rational thought and evidence that doesn't fit it. This makes me hope I never have a favorite suspect

Cheers
            DRoy

Comment

Hi DRoy
              Dave,

That would be Roy Corduroy you were responding to, I'd be DRoy!

So nobody gets confused in the future and purely based on site seniority not because of our favorite pant fabric, I've agreed to change my name to DRoy Not Corduroy.

Cheers
              DRoy

Comment

• Hi DRoy

I am genuinely very sorry and proffer my most abject apologies to both yourself and RC...

Every good wish

Dave

Comment

• The distance from Mitre Square to Goulston street would mean little,if some unforseen occurance forced the killer to abandon a predetermined plan of escape.As we do not know the killer's intentions,and have little knowledge of his personality,I would agree that intelligence was a factor that guided his activities,and it might on that one occasion,have compelled him to react in a manner that was over cautious,and with little respect for time.
                  Having said that,I am still of the opinion that Long lied.

Comment

Hi DRoy

I am genuinely very sorry and proffer my most abject apologies to both yourself and RC...

Every good wish

Dave
                    Dave,

No problem at all! I got to make a joke out of it that apparently only I thought was funny!

Cheers
                    DRoy

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                      Long could have been ice cold sober, and extremely on the ball, yet still missed it. There is the matter of location, and time. A simple case of him having to make up time could have resulted in either a missing of the apron or the not bothering to walk across every recess to have a look.

There are lots of factors which could have impacted on him missing the apron at 2.20am, including his record, however on the scant information we have available to us now, we only have his word for it that it was not there at 2.20am, and yes, that's all we can go on.

However, I advise against betting the family jewels upon it just yet.

Monty
                      Hi Monty,

Oh I won't be betting anything, either way. And that's my whole point. All you have done above is give us yet more plausible reasons why PC Long might have missed the apron at 2.20 - if it was there - which is something I advise nobody bets a penny on, ever, because there is not one single solitary indication that it was.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                        No, just curious. Halse wasn't aware about the apron at this time, so would be looking for persons, which he found two of in Wentworth Street. That gives us an idea he was looking for the culprit, not clues.
                        Can't a copper multitask and be looking out for both the culprit and potential clues to his whereabouts? Besides, Long wasn't aware of the apron either, nor apparently of the latest murder, but he found it easily enough at 2.55. Yet he is now the one 'in the dock' for his pains so to speak. Seems a little harsh, when there were only 35 minutes in it, and no evidence that it was anywhere to be seen at the earlier time.

Love,

Caz
                        X

Comment

• Originally posted by DRoy View Post
                          ...All in all, his testimony bombed. He got 'ripped' by Crawford, The Coroner and a Juror, while also giving testimony about the GSG where he offers evidence that differs from Halse and other reports about the GSG.

I'm not saying any of this means he missed the apron at 2:20 however I think it helps establish a better understanding of his character...in my opinion of course. This has helped push me closer to believing he missed it at 2:20 and therefore there isn't much of a time-gap...in my opinion.

Cheers
                          DRoy
                          Forgive me, but isn't this the wrong way round? Surely you had to begin with the opinion that the apron most probably arrived there shortly after leaving Mitre Square, and then use PC Long's character to explain why he missed it at 2.20. His character can't push you in one direction or the other all by itself - the apron had to be there first in order to argue that he missed it. If it wasn't there, his character doesn't come into it because he couldn't have seen it anyway, any more than he should have been expected to see a charging elephant that wasn't there.

Love,

Caz
                          X

Comment

...it did occur to me to wonder whether earlier on the killer had concealed himself somewhere within the WMD for some reason, (hearing someone approaching perhaps), only emerging, discarding the rag as he did so, after hearing Long pass at 2.20

Can't really see it, but it's possible I suppose

All the best

Dave
                            Hi Dave,

It's as good a suggestion as any I suppose. We know he was in Goulston St at some point after the latest murder, with that 100% incriminating evidence still on his person. And we know the streets were not entirely deserted. He could have had to take evasive action and find temporary hiding places at any point between Mitre Square and where he was eventually headed.

In fact, if PC Long could have missed the apron at 2.20, he could presumably have missed the killer just as easily, crouching inside and out of sight with a cold kidney supper.

Love,

Caz
                            X

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                              Fisherman is posting on this thread because he has a reason for the time-gap, the subject of the thread. But he won't say that. Fisherman has 124 posts on this thread. He could simply say 124 times he thinks Lechmere went to Pickfords first, then Goulston, and that's the reason for the apron delay.

Because I was reading through this thread, and it occured to me - poeple who are debating Fisherman don't know who or what they are debating against. Because he'd rather not say.

Roy
                              Hi Roy,

How patronising. What makes you think you are the only one who can figure out where Fish is coming from, while everyone else is in the dark?

Love,

Caz
                              X

Comment

• Originally posted by DRoy View Post
                                Fish,

So he can see a white apron piece that is discolored from blood and feces but not notice white writing on a black background? Not very observant for someone who was so adamant the apron piece wasn't there before. Instead we are to believe he shined his light in the exact spot the apron wasn't at 2:20 but now was at 2:55 but didn't notice the writing until looking for blood spots at 2:55.
                                Blimey, poor PC Long. Damned because he found both clues but not precisely at the same time. He had to see one before the other; it just happened to be the apron first. I believe both he and Halse admitted they could have missed the writing if it was there earlier. If the writing was obviously so much easier to see than the apron, you'd think Long would have lied about that too, claiming it wasn't there at 2.20 and saying he saw it before the apron at 2.55. He missed a trick there.

Love,

Caz
                                X
                                Last edited by caz; 04-03-2014, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X