No announcement yet.

Abberline solved the GSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could be wrong but I find it hard to believe that that wasn't a common practice. Therefore, I would guess that the prostitutes found a simple solution to the problem such as carrying a scrap of cloth or something that they could kneel on and then discard at the end of the evening. Where there is a will there is a way.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
      Hello Jon.

"99% of the written word we possess on the case is from press reports, throw them away and that would be the end of Ripperological studies.

What is important is not believing every word you read, but assess what you read in combination with other sources, even other press reports.
      There is no general solution, one global statement about the believability of the press as a whole does not account for all stories we read."

Precisely.

Cheers.
      LC
      That's all fine and good, it's individual interpretation of press reports which stick in my craw.

Comment

Giving a Frenchie

I don't think oral sex was particularly common or widespead there and then...It wasn't much spoken of even when I was growing up, being looked on as something rather alien and foreign...giving a Frenchie it was called, perhaps because it was one of those things picked up from French prostitutes during one of the world wars?

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
          I arrived at that conclusion because I have seen so many small errors in newspapers, and there is no reason to think Levy alone was passing behind the couple when his friends all passed on the other side.
          Therefore a misprint "man" for "woman" is the path of least resistance.
          He said "man" the back of the man. As I have said some posters have used this description to jusify Abberline's stating" only a rear view of the murderer was ever seen."

Par for the course I'm afraid, but news articles are a necessary evil. Even the police at the time used them for information. So long as we apply a litmus test before digging our heels firmly in the ground soley on the strength of one contrary news article, and apply caution, then I see nothing wrong with taking account of what the reporters claim to have found.
          hahahaha. I suggest you hand out some litmus paper then!

Sequestration means "to hide away".

Example:
          [I]Jury sequestration is the isolation of a jury to avoid accidental or deliberate tainting. Although sequestration is rare, publicity surrounding a trial and interested parties may interfere with juror objectivity; a judge may order that a jury be sequestered in order to prevent others from tampering with members of the jury through undue persuasion, threats, or bribes.
          I thought sequestration meant to take away. That is they took Lawende away from his work in order to look for Sailor Man. I can think of no reason why the police would want to hide him. Can you? Where would they hide him? And for how long?
          Last edited by Observer; 05-25-2013, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Hello CD. Thanks.

"I think the cachous are extremely important because to me they indicate that she did not have them in her hand when thrown to the ground by the BS man, otherwise it is most likely that they would have been scattered."

Quite.

"So it is hard to believe that as she was being dragged back into the yard by the BS man and knowing that her time was up she decided to go through the Pearly Gates with fresh breath."

Precisely.

"To me, the cachous indicate that Liz was at ease in her situation which I just can't see if the BS man were still present."

Correct again.

"My best guess is that she was with a client and that she either wanted to have fresh breath for him (maybe she was self conscious of having bad teeth and bad breath) or they came out in preparation for dealing with the results of oral sex."

Well, she simmered down quickly from her fracas to have accepted a client. And, if the latter, there would have been traces.

"Another possibility is that she was waiting for her date and she intended to pop one in her mouth when she saw him approaching. An argument soon ensued however and she was killed."

Alright.

"The problem with that though is that no one heard any argument and the police couldn't identify anybody in her life who might have a motive. I assume they ruled out Kidney."

Well, I certainly have ruled him out.

Thanks again.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Jury sequestration is the isolation of a jury to avoid accidental or deliberate tainting. Although sequestration is rare, publicity surrounding a trial and interested parties may interfere with juror objectivity; a judge may order that a jury be sequestered in order to prevent others from tampering with members of the jury through undue persuasion, threats, or bribes.
              I thought sequestration meant to take away. That is they took Lawende away from his work in order to look for Sailor Man. I can think of no reason why the police would want to hide him. Can you? Where would they hide him? And for how long?
              I must admit I'd always looked on this particular sequestration in the meaning/context quoted by Observer. Even sequestered juries still appear in court...so they're not really hidden away.

Schwartz on the other hand, seems to disappear...Sorry Jon, but it still seems to me that Schwartz has more to offer an attempted ID than Lawende, and as such, might well get the Met's star treatment...even if it subsequently turned out they were mistaken.

All the best

Dave
              Last edited by Cogidubnus; 05-25-2013, 07:02 PM.

Comment

inter-femoral

Hello (again) CD.

"I could be wrong but I find it hard to believe that that wasn't a common practice. Therefore, I would guess that the prostitutes found a simple solution to the problem such as carrying a scrap of cloth or something that they could kneel on and then discard at the end of the evening."

Most of the sex with prostitutes was inter-femoral. Both Llewellyn and Brown checked Polly and Kate's thighs (respectively) for precisely that.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Roast beef, anyone?

Hello Dave.

"It wasn't much spoken of even when I was growing up, being looked on as something rather alien and foreign."

It was probably learned from all vapouring France along with ragouts and learning how to dance. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Oui biensur

Absolument monsieur!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Obviously no ancient Greek pottery has ever reached the shores of America.
                      Last edited by DVV; 05-25-2013, 08:17 PM.

Comment

You lot burned my home town down several times in the 14th to 16th centuries!

But some French customs reached the shores of the UK, firstly in 1066, then at odd intervals afterwards...

All the best

Dave

PS Greek pottery...yes...nice reference!

Comment

Why did I write "American" ?
                          Sorry, Dave.

Meilleurs voeux

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                            PS Greek pottery...yes...nice reference!
                            Yes, of course.
                            But "Gimme a Greek" could be quite dangerous, mind you !

Cheers

Comment

More dangerous perhaps even than "Gimmee a Frenchie"!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
                                He said "man" the back of the man.
                                The difference is the "wo" was missed in the type set, thats all.

The alternative is what, to label the witness or the reporter as liars?
                                Just a simple type-set error.

"Mr. Henry Harris, of the two gentlemen our representative interviewed, is the more communicative. He is of opinion that neither Mr. Levander nor Mr. Levy saw anything more than he did, and that was only the back of the woman. Mr. Joseph Levy is absolutely obstinate and refuses to give us the slightest information."

The context does not change, the statement remains perfectly true.

It means to isolate, to avoid outside interference, to hide away, etc. Thats what they do with a jury, no different to what was done to Lawende, apparently.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X