The word JUWES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moonbegger,

But in all honesty i find your pedantic and arrogant little rant a little over the top !

Plagiarism is wrong, do you understand? And I'm told it can get one banned at Casebook. It is never permissible and ought not be excused, the Harvard Law School notwithstanding. I don't know how much schooling you have had, but if you at least attended middle school you were first warned, surely, about using someone else's words as your own.

I may be a little more sensitive to plagiarism than many because what precarious living i have made for most of my life has been the result of my writing. I am, however, hardly the only one who finds plagiarism abhorrent, though I do wonder what other posters think.

Moreover, I am not a "liar" as your tu quoque defense implied. I made a mistake -- hardly my first and assuredly not my last; I may almost have a patent on them -- but what i wrote was not a lie and it hardly compares to committing plagiarism.

And for a third time I ask: Why is it so difficult to use quotation marks and say "I don't know who wrote this, but it's worth a look"?

Don.
    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

I don't know who wrote this, but it's worth another look

Simply put, the word "Juwe" and "Juwes" existed prior to the use of the word "Jew". This word "Jew" appears in the English language after the translation of the bible (King James) from Latin into Anglo-Saxon (English). Hence it is a relatively modern transliteration of the Hebrew, "Iudhi/Iudha".
      Ergo, the word "Juwes" existed as the term for those referred to in historical documentation as "Jews" long long ago...and surprising, during 1888 and even TODAY! It exists in the British Museum Library (just down the road from Whitechapel) and the Bodlian Library, Oxford (just up the road from Whitechapel), in fact, up and down, and in me Laydis Chamber.
      Who would know of this term "Juwes", in 1888? I ASSUME scholars of the ilk of Warren, Anderson, and of course, the Chief Rabbi.
      Hic Rhodus hic saltus!
      moonbegger .

Comment

Hi Moonbeggar,

Chief Rabbi Hermann Adler had been given to understand that the operative word in the GSG was spelled J-U-E-W-E-S.

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
          Michael,

It was a feeble attempt at humor Don, I figured we can also exchange pleasantries.

My mistake, then, and I do apologize for misreading your post. Of course we can exchange pleasantries. But perhaps, as Tom Wescott once suggested under similar circumstances, because there are no aural cues in posts when there is any doubt we should include a smiley or LOL or the like.

Again, I apologize.

Don.

Thanks for that Don, unnecessary but appreciated.

Cheers.
          Michael Richards

Comment

And the context of Juwes in Freemasonary?...which was the original disagreement.

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Plagiarism is wrong, do you understand? He said ..

Stealing my " But in all honesty i find your pedantic and arrogant little rant " line for his own ? Not a quotation mark in sight !

The phrase containing the words Practice and preach come to mind

Oh i'm sorry , your allowed to make mistakes .

Don , I think the way i presented the re-post ( even without Q marks, which i was unfamiliar with in my original post ) was in a way that it would lead any well balanced reader to conclude that the meat in the pudding was not of my own making ..
              And the answer to your third time of asking question lay in the above text that i sent you on the first time of asking .. All you need to do is spend a little more time paying attention to what is being said and less time looking to create a pedantic and pathetic argument surrounding some ridiculous plagiarism claim .

I also make a very good living out of creative writing and understand the perils of plagiarism all too well .. i think you will find it's all about intent to deceive .. of which you will find zero in my post as i would find zero in your headline post which you stole from me .

moonbegger .

Comment

Moonie,

For those, like myself, who go back before the adoption of quote boxes on CB the use of a bolded portion from a previous post was -- and still is -- understood as a direct quotation. Believe me, I would not want to use any of your words as my own.

Far as i'm concerned, discussion is closed. But do understand you are wrong when you write ". . . looking to create a pedantic and pathetic argument surrounding some ridiculous plagiarism claim ." The claim was not ridiculous but quite valid and you just might admit it.
                Don
                "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Donny ,

Ok , case closed .

Comment

Jewes

Hello all,

In the very antisemitic Prioress's tale from Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (shows just how far back this kind of thing goes), original version, it refers to Jewes and Jewerie. I believe there was a question about the spelling in the middle ages? Not that I think this applies, still think Jack was dyslectic.

Best wishes,
                    C4

Comment

• Jewes

'Jewes' makes sense in a Medieval context, I don't think 'Juwes' does. The phonics are wrong. It doesn't mean that it was never spelled that way, but not as standard I shouldn't think. I think the graffito spelling is most likely a simple mispelling. Maybe we shouldn't read too much into it.

As for the now hugely contraversial original post by Krinoid, I remember that. I wondered at the time if in content it had itself been lifted from some website of dubious academic rigour: the idea that anybody could have translated into Anglo-Saxon in the 17th century is hilarious - so based on that I wouldn't take the whole Medieval Juwes thing too seriously, personally.

The way to find out would be to email the British Library and ask them.

Comment

• At the time

Hello Sally,

As I remember it Chaucer was the first to write in colloquial english. I don't think there was "standard spelling" at the time.

Best wishes,
                        C4

Comment

• "And now, a word about plagiarism."

Hello Don, MB. At the risk of highjacking, and in order to expedite future posts, permit me to post the plagiarism statement from one of the colleges where I work. It should corroborate what Don has said.

(Some details are omitted about the institution.)

Cheers.
                          LC

"To all strategies for online success students,

The Encarta World English Dictionary (2009) defines “plagiarism” as
                          1. Stealing somebody’s work or idea – the process of copying another person’s idea or written work and claiming it as original
                          2. Something plagiarized – a piece of written work or an idea that somebody has copied or claimed as his or her own. (plagiarism)
                          Encarta world English dictionary [North American Edition]. (2009). Seattle, WA: Microsoft Corp. Retrieved February 12, 2009, from http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/plagiarism.html

Acts of plagiarism could include directly copying a classmate's work; copying the content of a web site, textbook, or any other source, without providing attribution (e.g. without noting the URL or crediting the author); and/or, paraphrasing the words or work of another, since changing a few words (or their order) does not change the essential ideas that are being copied. Plagiarism is a severe breach of academic integrity and reported incidents can result in disciplinary action.

For more information regarding plagiarism, please see:

http://www.indiana.edu/~istd/definition.html"

Comment

• Regarding Czech, and the "Juw" spelling. I have just heard back from my mother, who speaks both Czech and Slovak, and neither language ever uses the latter "W," except to transcribe foreign loan words. Unless this company existed prior to the 1888s, and was very common and popular, and for some reason, is what is actually being referenced in the graffito, no connection. But I would say, good eye to the person who spotted it. Even if most things turn out to mean nothing, spotting little things like that is how advances get made.
                            Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                            What I find a little strange is that the word 'Jews', which was not an unusual one, especially in an area with a 40% Jewish population, was badly mis-spelt in a sentence in which there were no other spelling mistakes.
                            Actually, I would say it's the least common word in the sentence, and if there is any word the writer has never used before, it's likely to be that one.
                            Originally posted by Monty View Post
                            Where does this myth that the writing was low down come from?
                            I don't know if it was originally completely myth, but in the film Murder by Decree, the writing is very low down, IIRC, a few inches from the ground. Whatever height it originally was (isn't there a contemporary cartoon that shows it at more or less shoulder level?) that may have fixed it in people's imaginations as "unusually low." I think there's a purpose in the film of having it low, in that Sherlock Holmes uses some chemical means of retrieving it after it has been wiped away, and it requires two hands, and a lantern set on the ground. I'd have to check my DVD, which I haven't watched in some time.
                            Originally posted by curious4 View Post
                            Dyslexia has certain common features, not bad spelling alone... further details, search under "dyslexia" and you should find it.
                            Thanks. You couldn't know it, but I used to work in special ed., and then for many years was a case worker with disabled adults, many of whom had learning disabilities, and had been in special ed. in school. I'm pretty well schooled in the diagnosis of dyslexia. One thing I can tell you is that you can't diagnose it from such a small writing sample, especially when you do not know the educational background of the writer, and very much especially when you have reason to suspect the either he was highly emotional at the time, or making an effort to disguise his writing, or both.
                            Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                            "The Jewess are the men..." makes even less sense than the original to me!
                            That reminds me of funny examples of "man" used as the generic form of "human being." "Man is the only mammal with a substitute for breastfeeding his infants." "Man displays characteristics of estrus at all times, such as prominent breasts, and is receptive to intercourse at other times than just the days of fertility."

Comment

• Hi All,

Chief Rabbi Hermann Adler — J-U-E-W-E-S

PC Long [inquest] — J-E-W-S

PC Long [6th November written report] — J-U-E-W-S

Unnamed Inspector [PC Long, recalled to inquest] — J-E-U-W-S

DC Halse [inquest] — J-U-W-E-S

Superintendent Arnold [6th November written report] — J-U-E-W-S

Chief Inspector Swanson [6th November written report] — J-U-W-E-S

Home Office Minute [unattributed] — "J-E-W-E-S, not J-U-W-E-S"

Sir Charles Warren — J-U-W-E-S.

And you think you're confused?

Regards,

Simon
                              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• dyslexia

Hello Rivkah,

Far be it from me to belittle your training and experience, but dyslexia has nothing to do with intelligence and if your work was with special needs adults perhaps it would be not quite the same thing for you to diagnose it in highly intelligent children. Both of my dyslectic children achieved university degrees on the same terms as non-dyslectics. Their main problem was being accused of not trying, which was frustrating to say the least. I agree with you that without thorough testing no-one can be sure - my daughter was only diagnosed after a full day of hospital tests, but I still think there are clear pointers to Jack, who I believe was highly intelligent, being dyslectic. At the time, being constantly pointed out as an underachiever may have contributed to his being in an unstable state of mind, especially if he was from "the highest in the land", and may have left him with the need to prove himself cleverer than everyone around him.

I based my conclusions on four letters attributed to Jack, the "dear boss" letter, the postcard, the "from hell" letter and the so-called "threatening letter" compared to the Openshaw letter, which while badly spelled and written shows none of the pointers to dyslexia (see my original post).
                                Many people still regard dyslexia as the inability to read and write, but this is not always the case, even if spelling and writing is, at times, atrocious. Sweden is very advanced in this field.

Best wishes,
                                C4
                                Last edited by curious4; 08-31-2012, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X