No announcement yet.

The word JUWES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we know that it was even copied down correctly?

Comment

• Originally posted by Errata View Post
      Sure, it's just an odd misspelling, which is why it's intriguing. Juws, sure, Jues why not? but Juwes is like if he couldn't spell and decided that if he was going to be wrong then he was going to be spectacularly wrong. Make sure there was no chance of him being right.

And there are those people. I'm married to one. He couldn't spell conscious so he wrote "konshus" just to really spite the unspellable word. Even muttered over it "That'll teach you". But I'd like to think that's a rare character trait. Or for all I know it's common to punish difficult words by grossly misspelling them. God help us.

Point is that there are easy ways the misspell things, and hard ways. Juwes is a hard way, not a natural and fully understandable way. So of course people suspect intent. It might not be significant. Probably isn't in fact, so really it's just a guy who managed to get the spelling of an easy word all kinds of turned around. It's just so odd. It's the oddity that's compelling. If he had spelled it "Juws" it wouldn't be at all interesting.
      Hello Errata

Dyslectics have trouble with simple words while managing to spell hard ones properly. If my idea that whoever wrote "dear boss", "sailor Jack" and the Lusk letter had dyslexia, it could explain the inability to spell a simple word like "jews".

All good wishes
      C4

Comment

• Originally posted by curious4 View Post
        Hello Errata

Dyslectics have trouble with simple words while managing to spell hard ones properly. If my idea that whoever wrote "dear boss", "sailor Jack" and the Lusk letter had dyslexia, it could explain the inability to spell a simple word like "jews".

All good wishes
        C4
        It could.

All I'm saying is that it's not the fact that it's misspelled that makes it enticing, but that it's oddly misspelled. Which probably means nothing, but it's misspelled oddly enough to make the mind think it means something. Oddity isn't always significant, but oddity usually makes us look for significance that may or may not be there.
        The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• For the umpteenth time.....Juwes was the Friesland word for Jews.

Try looking for someone from Hull.

No not Mike!
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by curious4 View Post
            Hello Errata

All good wishes
            C4
            Said it before, gonna keep repeating it. Dysgraphia is more likely. Taking your idea it checks the boxes, mostly because you really couldn't say DYSLEXIA unless reading was involved. Yes, they often go hand in hand but not always. Plus it would explain the deteriation from Dear Boss to Lusk easily enough. Had more time and wrote multiple copies of Boss but not Lusk. Would cover the spelling of Juwes while the rest was fairly legible as well, he'd written it before and was copying. Probably wouldn't have notice the mistake.
            I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
              How do we know that it was even copied down correctly?
              Returning to my original point, if the message was copied correctly (they couldn't even agree if it was three or five lines), then my alternative theory is that it was originally supposed to be 'Jewes' but the author simply didn't round off the 'e' properly, hence why it was mistaken for 'Juwes'. You can't expect perfect legibility from a chalk scrawl on a brick jamb. I don't know about you guys but I find this to be a much more convincing argument than getting into dyslexia and all sorts.

Comment

Returning to my original point, if the message was copied correctly (they couldn't even agree if it was three or five lines), then my alternative theory is that it was originally supposed to be 'Jewes' but the author simply didn't round off the 'e' properly, hence why it was mistaken for 'Juwes'. You can't expect perfect legibility from a chalk scrawl on a brick jamb. I don't know about you guys but I find this to be a much more convincing argument than getting into dyslexia and all sorts.
                I agree Harry the intent was probably Jewes... There could be any number of reasons why it was miss spelled from dyslexia to poor education to the dark and a broken piece of chalk..

The real question is did the killer write it...and I now wonder if that is possible

Although I think it unlikely he sent any letters

Yours Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
                  I agree Harry the intent was probably Jewes... There could be any number of reasons why it was miss spelled from dyslexia to poor education to the dark and a broken piece of chalk..

The real question is did the killer write it...and I now wonder if that is possible

Yours Jeff
                  Hey, Jeff.

Well that's the $64,000 question. Do you believe a piece of evidence would be left under graffiti by accident or design?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post

Yours Jeff
                    or the writer intentionally mis spelled it as another insult to jews.

Comment

• supposed to be 'Jewes' but the author simply didn't round off the 'e' properly, hence why it was mistaken for 'Juwes'.
                      I would go with this one, the Ripper had exaggerated up strokes on some letters when he was excited mood. Hence the confusion in the Lusk letter. Sor vs Sir (some even suggested he was Irish, but zoom in and its clearly Sir with high upstroke).

Comment

Hey, Jeff.

Well that's the $64,000 question. Do you believe a piece of evidence would be left under graffiti by accident or design?
                        Hi All

Yes that is the question...I have know answers to that question..

So many possibles which is why I stear clear of this subject..

However Rob House makes an interesting argument in his book Prime Suspect

about Goulston Street and its connections to Tailors and Greeners

So I'm interested in that argument and the possible geography

Many thanks to all posting

Yours Jeff

Comment

• I don't think that Jack wrote the GSG but I can't get too worked up about it either way because even if we could prove beyond all doubt that he did in fact write it no one knows what the hell it means other than him. As an indication of the direction he was taking it might be useful, but other than that it seems to me to be a pretty piss poor clue.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                            I don't think that Jack wrote the GSG but I can't get too worked up about it either way because even if we could prove beyond all doubt that he did in fact write it no one knows what the hell it means other than him. As an indication of the direction he was taking it might be useful, but other than that it seems to me to be a pretty piss poor clue.

c.d.
                            Totally agree CD, its a side show

Jeff

Comment

• Well yeah. It's pretty likely they just copied it wrong or it was supposed to be an "e" but looked like a "u".
                              I don't buy the GSG meaning anything other than someone was annoyed and scribbled on a wall. I mean yeah it was near an actual clue but even if it was written by the dude with the recently bloodied knive- it's kinda completely useless. It says nothing about anything relating to the case. Maybe if they all had the same Jewish pimp there could be something to it but those ladies were freelance (and might not even have been hooking according to some).
                              I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                                or the writer intentionally mis spelled it as another insult to jews.
                                I hope not. If there is one thing that takes the sting out of a word it's using it improperly. At 15 I had to tell someone I was a kyke, not a kRyke, and I stopped him to tell my friends what he had just called me, and we laughed and laughed. To this day that doesn't hurt my feelings. And it genuinely might have had he pronounced it correctly.

Misspell something that badly and you might as well have written "hedgehogs" for the amount of desired effect you will get. Bunch of people with quizzical expressions, head tilted to one side, asking "does that say what I think it says?""why did he get it wrong?""HOW did he get it wrong? There not so much of it to get wrong." And then way down on the list is "How dare he!" Most people don't even make it that far down the list.

I mean, how offended are you going to get if someone calls you a flucking crunt? Sure they mean it, but you're too busy laughing.
                                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X