The Halse version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apron

Hello Jon. Then its proximity to the bloody apron piece was mere coincidence?

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Thats all Lynn.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

coincidences

Hello Jon. Well, Debs Arif has reminded me more than once--coincidences DO occur. But it certainly fooled Sir Charles.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

In my view, DC Halse's rendering of the graffito should be seen as more reliable than that of Long. Firstly as, according to this site, Long's original spelling of "Jewes" was corrected to "Juwes" and secondly as Halse has used inverted commas to denote new paragraph but still part of the quotation. Thus he has been careful to record the message line by line. This being the case, I believe we should trust him as to exact wording and spelling.

Best wishes,
          Steve.
          PS Halse on left, Long on right.

PPS No idea what it's supposed to mean in either case and I doubt there is any connection to the murders.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Steven Russell; 02-28-2012, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Hi Steven.
            Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
            In my view, DC Halse's rendering of the graffito should be seen as more reliable than that of Long. Firstly as, according to this site, Long's original spelling of "Jewes" was corrected to "Juwes"...
            Agreed, but the correction was by his Inspector. So, you are not making allowances for two separate people supporting Long's version (Long + Inspector), as opposed to just one, Halse by himself.

Quite possibly, four eyes were better than two.

Regards, Jon S.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
              Hello Jon. Then its proximity to the bloody apron piece was mere coincidence?

Cheers.
              LC
              Trevor has explained it all, Lynn. Where have you been ?

Comment

answers

Hello David. Well, I have been looking for answers. Here I seek an opinion.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

I'm observing the modern deconstruction of the double event with extreme stupefaction.
                  The Whitechapel murderer seems to exist only when slashing a victim - just for minutes, on 4 nights.
                  He didn't choose the location of the Stride's murder.
                  He didn't cry "Lipski".
                  He couldn't write.
                  He threw the apron just by chance near to the most bizarre graffito ever, written at an equally bizarre height.

I'm about to open a thread called : "Did Jack go the toilet ?", as to make sure some think he did not.

Comment

this, that, other

Hello David.

"I'm observing the modern deconstruction of the double event . . . "

Hope you have a front row seat. And there's no charge.

"The Whitechapel murderer seems to exist only when slashing a victim - just for minutes, on 4 nights."

You are generous. I'd say "Not at all."

"He didn't choose the location of the Stride murder."

Well, SOMEONE did. Jack? No such character.

"He didn't cry "Lipski"."

As you may recall, the paper ("Star"?) began to doubt that story. Rightly, I'd say.

"He couldn't write."

Here's an interesting metaphysical question, "Can fictional characters write?" So, for example, could Dickens' notorious villain, Squeers, write?

"He threw the apron . . . "

Hmm, I'd say within a few feet of the body. So, how did it end up where it did? Makes no sense.

". . . near to the most bizarre graffito ever, written at an equally bizarre height."

Not bizarre if you feel cheated. Bizarre? Well, who WAS Kilroy anyway? Height? What about Quilp?

"I'm about to open a thread called: 'Did Jack go the toilet?'"

I'm sure it would make a good bit more sense than many threads I have visited.

" . . . as to make sure some think he did not."

Well, did Quilp use the bathroom? As I recall, Dickens had him EAT eggshells, not walk on them. Eggshells must eventually exit.

Cheers.
                    LC
                    Last edited by lynn cates; 02-29-2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                      "Can fictional characters write?" So, for example, could Dickens' notorious villain, Squeers, write?
                      LC
                      Beware, Lynn, you're becoming a fictional ripperologist.

Comment

fiction

Hello David. Although I eschew the title, I think one MUST be interested in fiction to pursue "Jack."

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,

Jack is the greatest fictional villain of all time.

Regards,

Simon
                          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

I thought that was a myth put about by Brits that some people - Americans are the men who are usually blamed - actually believe Sherlock Holmes was a real detective and Jack the Ripper a fictional murderer.

If only all these damned women, with their annoying cut throats and ripped up innards, were not so real, and could be filed under fiction themselves, it would be so much easier to spirit away the real man who went out with a knife sharpened for the purpose of murdering and mutilating them.

Sorry about all the dirty words I've just chalked on this wall.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hi Caz,

The fictional Jack had nothing to do with the factual five.

And therein lies the real mystery behind the Whitechapel murders.

All the rest is fantasy.

Regards,

Simon
                              Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                                Jack is the greatest fictional villain of all time.
                                Oooh errr. Looking forward to reading your magnum opus, Simon.
                                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                                X