The meaning of the GSG wording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foster's Version

I've always been curious about City Surveyor Foster's version of the graffito, which I believe was "The Juws are not the men to be blamed for nothing".

I can't recall if Foster recorded the graffito on the spot or if he wrote it down later, but he strikes me as a man with an eye for accuracy.

I wonder if the individuals who wrote out the wording of the graffito did so after the original had been erased? Even if they wrote it down a few minutes later, their working from memory would make the slight variations more understandable.

Best regards,
    Archaic

Comment

• Foster didn't appear in Mitre Square till mid morning on the Sunday and then, I believe, took a cab to Goulston Street.

It seems he drew the Goulston Street map before viewing the street (I suspect from an old OS map) as he makes amendments on it. He adds the dwellings over his initial drawing.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• quick question

By the by, I'm about to go visit the site of the GSG on the day after tomorrow. Was the original site approx. at the corner of Goulston and Wentworth, and could someone direct me to where exactly the GSG would have been in relation to today's buildings?
        (Or perhaps I should start a thread about this?)
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

• Maria,

Check out Goulston St in the photo archives. Its now the Happy Days resturant.

Failing that go read Rob and Philips book, its there too.

Monty
          Last edited by Monty; 10-03-2011, 11:37 PM.
          Monty

Comment

• Thank you so much Monty.
            (Photo Archives, duh.)
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
              ....I would guess that the killer might have written a somewhat different message on the gates at Dutfield's Yard than on the wall at Goulston Street.
              If.... as some maintain, BS was the killer in Berner St. he was likely too sloshed to scribble anything coherent.

Regards, Jon S.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                Foster didn't appear in Mitre Square till mid morning on the Sunday and then, I believe, took a cab to Goulston Street.

It seems he drew the Goulston Street map before viewing the street (I suspect from an old OS map) as he makes amendments on it. He adds the dwellings over his initial drawing.

Monty
                Thanks Neil. I knew you'd know.

Cheers,
                Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Hunter View Post
                  I agree, Tom, but this wasn't a normal circumstance. It wouldn't have been normal for him to be at the scene. This was his call and he understood the implications of what his decision would entail. In this instance, I could see him writing it down himself so he could show that this evidence was preserved in some respect.
                  Then why all the fuss over the exact wording at the Inquest?

Nobody knew Warren had made his own copy at the scene before he washed it away?, surely somebody must have seen him, he was Charles Warren for goodness sakes. And, wouldn't the correct proceedure have been to enter it into evidence?

Regards, Jon S.
                  Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• The inquest was performed by the City Coroner and it was up to him to solicit witnesses. Warren did provide 'his' copy to the Home Office in his Nov. 9 report.

We can wonder the 'why' of all of this 'till the cows come home. This was a sensitive issue between the City and Met authorities.
                    Last edited by Hunter; 10-04-2011, 01:21 AM.
                    Best Wishes,
                    Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

The inquest was performed by the City Coroner and it was up to him to solicit witnesses.
                      Agreed, and no-one was beyond his reach. Met Police were called to the City Inquest, so if the wording was of any significance Langham could have made the request. Likewise, if it existed, he should have been aware of it.

Warren did provide 'his' copy to the Home Office in his Nov. 9 report.
                      Five weeks later...
                      The question arises, when, in those five weeks, did he write 'his' copy?

Regards, Jon S.
                      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Carol,

Your thoughts are understood and greatly appreciated. One aspect of the bricks and the rainy night... The lower part of the fascia and wall consisted of hard fired glazed bricks... a kind of water table brick that repelled water. Depending on the wind the fascia would have been protected to some degree by the archway itself.
                        Hi Hunter,
                        Perhaps that is why the policeman wondered why the graffiti had not been rubbed off by people's shoulders if it had been written prior to the time of the murder - I can remember that it is very easy to rub chalk off of glazed bricks whereas on ordinary, untreated bricks the opposite is the case. In fact, it is not at all easy to write 'nicely' on a glazed surface with chalk so perhaps the graffiti was written higher up the wall where there was just ordinary brick. Which would make the writer rather tall!
                        Love
                        Carol

Comment

• The black, engineering bricks were ideal for chalk writing.

It seems the glazed bricks were introduced sometime around the 1920s/30s refits.

I believe the black engineering bricks came to 4 1/2 off the ground. There is a doorway some yards south which seems to have retained its original brickwork.

Monty
                          Monty

Comment

• Thanks for clearing that up Neil. I thought that they were the originals. Brick making technology hasn't changed much in centuries with the exception of the advent of gas fired kilns in the 19th century.

We still use engineering bricks for commercial applications here, they are slightly larger than the standard 4x8x2 inch.
                            Best Wishes,
                            Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Yes Chris,

Still used today.

This is from memory but I believe above the black bricks the wall was painted white. We must remember the dwellings were spanking new in 1888.

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned the recesses. This certainly is a postive for the pro writing brigade.

Monty
                              Monty

Comment

• Recesses?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                                X