The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree Tom, though others may not.

If he was self obessed then he'd surely be certain in taking the credit.

If he was evading the authorities then he wouldnt be pi$$in about writing messages.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
      Thank you for proving my point.
      I don't think so, Neil!

Originally posted by Monty View Post
      I should have been clearer, just like Jack.
      Your communication was in direct reference to something that I had typed in an earlier post:

Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
      And by way of the apron; the GSG can most certainly be interpreted as having made reference to the murder of Catherine Eddowes.
      Only by the way of the apron. Take that away and what you get?
      But, you did not actually express reference to my earlier statement. Instead, you relied upon the 'symbolism' of a quotation, i.e. a 'quote box', for such reference.

In the absence of the 'quote box', containing a quotation of something that I had expressed, your communication would have read as follows:

"Only by the way of the apron. Take that away and what you get?"

By itself; that is an ambiguous, and quite frankly, … utterly meaningless statement!

But, in conjunction with the quotation, and its accordant 'symbolist' value; …

And by way of the apron; the GSG can most certainly be interpreted as having made reference to the murder of Catherine Eddowes.
      … it is an unambiguous, and quite clearly, … very meaningful statement!

We all rely on symbolism, from time-to-time, Neil! Why should Eddowes's murderer necessarily have been any different?

---------

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
      If the killer wrote the graffiti, he clearly knew it would require the apron, which is why he left it there. It seems we're saying the same thing here, but not seeing it the same way.
      If he wrote the writing yes but why rely on that? Why take the risk? and why doesnt he mention anything about the crimes?
      By risk I mean the removal of the apron from where he left it.
      Did you consider the "risk" that someone might quote you in this manner, …

… rather than this one?

Again, Neil; we all use symbolism, from time-to-time, in our various forms of communication.

Comment

• Granted Colin,

From time to time.

However, and believe me I am so sick of repeating this as you are reading it, the fact no reference is made to the murders, or any crine whatsoever, supports the idea it wasnt written by Jack far more than it was.

However, does it dimiss the possibility?

Of course not. Anyone who has read my views on the matter in the last ten years, and Tom will support this himself as we have cross swords and debated this matter both here and in private, knows I feel its highly unlikely Jack wrote it. However, In very wary that it cannot be dismissed outright.

Monty
        Last edited by Monty; 01-16-2010, 02:13 AM.
        Monty

Comment

• I'm with Monty here. If the Ripper would have been caught with the apron piece, he surely would have hung. It's that simple. And if he was willing to take that risk, why not write a clear message while he's at it? He could have done so in less than 12 words.

Best,
          Frank
          "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
          Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

• Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
            I do not know
            No, Colin,

I think you only think that you don't know.

Amitiés,
            David

Comment

• I must admit, I am with Monty as well. I can understand why, in a case with so few clues, that this subject has been flogged to death. But that really only makes Monty's statement more important, the writing really is meaningless without the apron, except....what has always intrigued me is this:

The Juwes are the men that will not be blamed for nothing

That always struck me as being written by a local, otherwise I would have expected:

The Jews are the men that will not be blamed for anything.

The way that it was written on the wall is the way that East Enders speak, they almost always replace 'anything' with 'nothing'

'That don't mean nothing guv'
              ......that kind of thing. So while I doubt very much that it was written by the killer, I have always thought it was written by someone local.
              protohistorian-Where would we be without Stewart Evans or Paul Begg,Kieth Skinner, Martin Fido,or Donald Rumbelow?

Sox-Knee deep in Princes & Painters with Fenian ties who did not mutilate the women at the scene, but waited with baited breath outside the mortuary to carry out their evil plots before rushing home for tea with the wife...who would later poison them of course

Comment

• Hi Sox,

please, who would crouch to write such a sentence ???
                A local?
                Oh yes.
                Il ne manquerait plus que le type ait fait un long voyage pour graffiter une connerie pareille!

Amitiés,
                David

Comment

• Local

Well, if a local wrote the graffito and the killer left the apron ( Unless you believe that Eddowes did ) The killer was heading back into the old neighborhood, wasn't he?

Best Wishes,
                  Hunter
                  Best Wishes,
                  Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Hi Hunter,

a local ? No doubt. Who the hell would have travelled to chalk such a stupid thing?
                    And in my opinion, the killer was simply heading back to the VH (see the map in Garry's book).

Amitiés,
                    David

Comment

• Sox,

I dont think the writing itself is meaningless, I think is has numerous meanings. A finger of blame or a defiant stance.

Im surprised no one has queried its size.

Monty
                      Monty

Comment

• Originally posted by DVV View Post
                        And in my opinion, the killer was simply heading back to the VH (see the map in Garry's book).
                        Maybe even closer than that, Dave. Perhaps just a hundred yards around the corner of Goulston St. It makes the choice of that doorway even more logical as the last chance to clean up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                          Sox,

I dont think the writing itself is meaningless, I think is has numerous meanings. A finger of blame or a defiant stance.

Im surprised no one has queried its size.

Monty
                          Sorry Monty, I should have said: the writing was meaningless as evidence. The piece of apron was the important thing. Taking the time he needed/had to mutilate Kate Eddowes was one thing, stopping to write an ambiguous message on a wall is another thing entirely.

I have always wondered as to the amount of hungry stray dogs in Whitechapel, maybe when that piece of cloth was dropped it had something inside it before Rex got to it
                          protohistorian-Where would we be without Stewart Evans or Paul Begg,Kieth Skinner, Martin Fido,or Donald Rumbelow?

Sox-Knee deep in Princes & Painters with Fenian ties who did not mutilate the women at the scene, but waited with baited breath outside the mortuary to carry out their evil plots before rushing home for tea with the wife...who would later poison them of course

Comment

• Originally posted by Sox View Post
                            Sorry Monty, I should have said: the writing was meaningless as evidence. The piece of apron was the important thing. Taking the time he needed/had to mutilate Kate Eddowes was one thing, stopping to write an ambiguous message on a wall is another thing entirely.

I agree, its not convicting evidence and pretty pointless. The apron is evidence of movement and unless it was found on the killer its hardly daming evidence.

Sometimes I feel too much is made of the finds in Goulston Street.

Monty
                            Monty

Comment

• Hello Monty!

I think, that the apron might have had something to do with JtR. But the graffito didn't!

However, I find it possible too, that the apron was there by coincidence! That means; not relating to the case.

All the best
                              Jukka
                              "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

• Hello Jukka,
                                Although I, like you, believe the writing had nothing to do with JTR...
                                perhaps it isn't inconcievable that the writing was written on the way OUT of Berner Street...and the rag left there on the way back. This killer seemed to love playing games with the police. He took more chances than Evil Knievel.

best wishes

Phil
                                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                                Accountability? ....

Comment

Working...
                                X