The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumbelow from "London Stories"

Just came across this from the book "London Stories," which was put together by the Guides from the famous London Walks company. (Published by Virgin Books in 2009.)

In the chapter on the Jack the Ripper walk, which is credited to Donald Rumbelow, he writes of the GSG:

"From Middlesex Street, walk through New Goulston Street --the Market Trader Pub is on the corner -- and this will bring you out directly opposite a block of apartments four storeys high. In 1888 it was a model dwelling. In the centre is the Happy Days restaurant, the main door of which has now replaced the original entranceway into the block. It was in the original doorway that the killer wrote a message on the wall and below it dropped a piece of Eddowes' apron, which he had cut from her clothing and used to wipe his knife."

I was surprised to read this, as I had not come across any other writings from Rumbelow in which he expressly credited the GSG to JTR. Has anyone else heard/read him express this opinion about the GSG?

Comment

• I believe you are correct. On his tours (at least the ones I was on) and in his book, Rumbelow simply makes a rather general statement that PC Long found the message written in chalk. If he is now attributing the GSG to JtR, it must be a fairly recent development.

Comment

• Originally posted by perrymason View Post
        in one version I believe he did capitalize "Men" for some reason ......
        A German! (Only half-jokingly. In German, the first letter of a noun is always capitalised.)
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Richard Jones, who if I am not mistaken is also part of the same 'London Walks' company, expressly links the graffito and 'Jack' in one of his own walking books - I forget whether it is 'Walking Haunted London' or 'London: History and Mystery' as both have JTR chapters but I think only one takes in Goulston St (could be wrong); I was flicking between both books at the same time on a recent rambling and so cannot remember exactly what info was in which walk...alas I do not have them to hand.

That prose reads very much like Jones, although as you say it is credited to Rumbelow I guess that is out of the question, unless it was a joint effort and Rumbelow was credited as perhaps the most well-known name in 'Ripper' circles? Either that or perhaps they (or the publishers) thought it best not to have two author/guides from the same company disagreeing in print - I don't see why not, I think it a bit of lively and interesting debate would add something myself!

By the by, I would heartily recommend both books (there are a number of Druitt references in his Chiswick chapter in '...Haunted London' too, also an excellent walk around Temple which can be adapted to take in Druitt's quarters, or as close as you can get, and is VERY atmospheric at night!)

Comment

• Hey everyone, I just wanted to bring something to everyone's attention concerning the graffito. While personally I think JTR may have been the author, there is one aspect I'd like to bring up that could point to it being there for some time (and excuse me if this is has already been mentioned but it just occured to me so I thought I better get it down before I forget about it). Supporters of JTR being the author of the graffito have mentioned that since the message was Anti-semetic in nature, and the building where it was written was occupied almost exclusively by Jews, then it stands to reason that it was recent since if it was there for awhile, one of the tenants would have washed it off. However, there is one important point to remember here. Many of the Jews living in the East End were fleeing from pogroms in Russia, Poland, and Eastern Europe at the time. So, it's quite reasonable to state that many of the Jews living in that building probably couldn't speak English or, at least, had a very limited understanding of English. So, if the graffiti had been there for a while, there's no guarantee that the tenants would have understood what the message said. Therefore, it is quite possible the graffiti was there for some time and the occupants didn't erase it due to lack of understanding of the meaning of the message.
            I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

• ABSOLUTELY YES!
              I am sure. I can prove it in the near future...

Comment

• We've heard such assurances more than once on boards...
                Why not now ?
                What new could come in the next future ?
                It has been written and erased ages ago.

Amitiés,
                David

Comment

• The graffiti was not overtly anti-Semitic, nor was it overtly about the Ripper murders, so it was an anomaly amongst the typical graffiti found around that time in the East End. Regarding what JTRSickert wrote, it's true that a number of people in the building would not have been able to read it, but that's not important. What's important is that none of them recalled having seen the writing there before, which means it was fresh. Obviously, the apron was found underneath it and the idea is that one man was responsible for both. I can see why there's room for doubt, and there should be, but I strongly favor the graffiti having been written by the Ripper.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• The graffiti was not overtly anti-Semitic, nor was it overtly about the Ripper murders,...
                    It doesnt mention the murders at all does it?

Bottom line is why not?

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Hi Monty,

Now we're getting into the realm of interpretation. I feel the graffiti references the Stride murder, but you do not.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Has anyone here asked this question: regardless of whether or not the writer was Jack and, for the sake of argument, let's say the writing wasn't there at 2:20am when PC Long first went down Goulston Street on his beat. The question(s) I have is:

1. Did the writer had to have had the chalk on him ahead of time or were there places around where pieces of chalk could just be taken around that area and at that time of night?

2. Now, if we assume the writing was not there at 2:20, would there have been enough light and illumination for the person to see what he was writing and where? I mean, it was after 2 in the morning. Was Goulston Street a well-lit street?
                        I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

• Indeed Thomas, true.

Hmmm, JtR, I wonder if that question has been addressed before?

Monty
                          Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Hi All,

Who would have assumed the authority to wake Warren from his Pimlico bed at three in the morning and suggest he hightail it over to Whitechapel?

Regards,

Simon
                            Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Bruce Springsteen.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• I can see why there's room for doubt, and there should be, but I strongly favor the graffiti having been written by the Ripper.
                                I've always kept an open mind on the 'Juwes' message, Tom, but have often wondered why, if the killer had a penchant for leaving textual messages, he neglected to do so at the Kelly crime scene despite having the time and privacy that were so obviously lacking in Goulston Street.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Working...
                                X