The GOGMAGOG-letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rosemary View Post
    I'm a detective now?! I still know nothing! I'm still wandering?? The true killer probably won't be known for another 100 years.
    Congratulations on your promotion.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
      Given that the Poster has decided to post the same post twice, let us be polite and answer it with the respect it deserves

Point 1

A large percentage of letters to Newspapers both in 1888 and today start with either "Sir" or "Dear Sir" the sentences which follow are also a common form used in many letters, they are introducing the ideas in the letter.

There is therefore nothing out of the ordinary in such statements that would allow one to suggest that they are from the same writer.

Point 2

Most letters to a paper will make a recommendation of some sort. that is the point of writing a letter to a paper. To put across a point of view and make suggestions.

Point 3

There is nothing ironic in those lines, it is just the posters view, his opinion, a creative imagination.

There appears to be nothing connecting these two letters at all, other than they are letters to Newspapers.
      The poster insists on there is, however the explanation given fails to add any substance to that view.

I suspect that even the letters that arrived headed "Listen slurry face" we're probably printed "Dear Sir" or similar.

And as you say why write at all if not suggesting something.

But just the sort of Horse Twaddle we've come to expect.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Hi Steve,

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
        Given that the Poster has decided to post the same post twice, let us be polite and answer it with the respect it deserves

Point 1

A large percentage of letters to Newspapers both in 1888 and today start with either "Sir" or "Dear Sir" the sentences which follow are also a common form used in many letters, they are introducing the ideas in the letter.

SINCE THAT POSTER CHOSE TO POST A "YOU TUBE" VIDEO OF THE MONTY PYTHON GROUP SINGING A TYPICALLY ODD SONG ABOUT FISH (WHICH IS THE TYPE IN THE SEA OR RIVERS - NOT A MURDERER LIKE WILLIAM OR ALBERT FISH) ON ANOTHER THREAD IN THE SOCIAL CHAT SECTION, HE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT THERE WAS A RUNNING JOKE ON THEIR TELEVISION SHOW OF LETTERS COMPLAINING OF THEIR SKITS BEING SENT TO THE NEWSPAPERS, ALL BEGINNING WITH "DEAR SIR", WITH SOME GRUFF VOICE SOUNDING VERY AUTHORITARIAN RECITING THE CONTENTS. NOT METAPHORICALLY SPEAKING
        Jeff

Comment

• I'm sad to see people in this thread belittling Pierre and trying to destroy his theory. For I too was like them once but then I opened my mind to the New Discourse and let Pierre into my heart. Suddenly what had previously seemed to be random and unconnected pieces of information formed themselves into shapes and patterns where I could see with crystal clarity who murdered all those poor women. I am converted to Pierre's new technique of comparative textual analysis and want to share my discoveries with you all.

I have already revealed the secret of Edward Fairfield who wrote to the Times shortly before the Double Event and now I have found he wrote to the same newspaper a week later by way of letter published in the Times of 9 October 1888. He took a bit of a risk because he signed the letter "R.C. Bedford, Bishop Suffragan of the East End", who well have been a real person, but he seems to have got away with it. This letter appears below.

We have all the familiar elements. The usual start: "Sir, - will you kindly allow me...". Then we have the recommendations: "What is needed is a home where washing and other work could be done...", followed by the inevitable ironic prediction of future events: "Two thousand pounds would enable the experiment to be tried, and I have no doubt of its being a success." Ha! ha! Very ironic.

But in addition to the standard features, this letter contains an obvious clue to the police showing how stupid they were for missing it. For "Bishop Bedford" a.k.a. Edward Fairfield, stated:

"I know full well the circumstances of these poor creatures, and have been constantly among them by day and by night".

He's clearly having a laugh. He might as well just have said he has been sleeping with and murdering prostitutes for that is what he obviously meant.

And then look:

"If intrusted with the means to provide such a home I would gladly undertake the responsibility of conducting it".

Of course he would! Jack the Ripper offering a home to the prostitutes of Whitechapel!!! You couldn't make it up.

I guess you may be wondering how this all fits in with Pierre's theory of the murderer being a police officer but I have some additional data which explains this too and will post it in due course.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
            I guess you may be wondering how this all fits in with Pierre's theory of the murderer being a police officer but I have some additional data which explains this too and will post it in due course.
            Steady now David don't post the additional data too quickly you're supposed to drag things out like Pierre does.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
              Steady now David don't post the additional data too quickly you're supposed to drag things out like Pierre does.
              Okay I will try and keep the suspense going for the rest of the year. Hopefully people will ask me questions about my theory which I will refuse to answer so that I can sit here thinking "I know something you don't know".

Comment

Okay I will try and keep the suspense going for the rest of the year. Hopefully people will ask me questions about my theory which I will refuse to answer so that I can sit here thinking "I know something you don't know".
                Hello David,

Already seems pretty decisive to me. I understand that you are not yet in a position to disclose additional data, illustrating the extent to which your theory is synchronized with Pierre's, however, can you confirm that you have submitted any provisional conclusions to a probability analysis, in order to scientifically assess the likelihood that you may be wrong?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                  One could surely learn a lot from the Zodiac case. But we can not with a very high certainty generalize from that case to this one. Only discuss hypotheses.

Regards Pierre
                  There is no similarity between letters known to have been sent by a modern day killer and some baseless theory about 1 of thousands of letters sent to the police and press during the Ripper scare.

The reasonable explanation as to why this one letter should be considered as being penned by the so-called Ripper is absent.
                  Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                    Hello David,

Already seems pretty decisive to me. I understand that you are not yet in a position to disclose additional data, illustrating the extent to which your theory is synchronized with Pierre's, however, can you confirm that you have submitted any provisional conclusions to a probability analysis, in order to scientifically assess the likelihood that you may be wrong?
                    Yes John, I confirm that I have carried out a full probability analysis and the likelihood that I am wrong is very low; in fact 4.28% to be precise. (That figure is subject to a small margin of error of plus or minus 95.72%.) In metaphorical terms, this is about as good as it is possible to get.

Comment

Yes John, I confirm that I have carried out a full probability analysis and the likelihood that I am wrong is very low; in fact 4.28% to be precise. (That figure is subject to a small margin of error of plus or minus 95.72%.) In metaphorical terms, this is about as good as it is possible to get.
                      Thank you, David. I am now able to confirm that I have had the time to reflect on your latest post during a period of mystical contemplation. In fact, I hardly dare write this down, but having emerged from a deep trance my intuitive response is that there is now hardly any doubt: You must have virtually found him.

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                        Thank you, David. I am now able to confirm that I have had the time to reflect on your latest post during a period of mystical contemplation. In fact, I hardly dare write this down, but having emerged from a deep trance my intuitive response is that there is now hardly any doubt: You must have virtually found him.
                        It was simpler in 1887 - 1927. One eminent reasoned termed it a "three pipe problem", and generally solved it.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                          It was simpler in 1887 - 1927. One eminent reasoned termed it a "three pipe problem", and generally solved it.

Jeff
                          Hi Jeff,

Sherlock Holmes, I believe! However, I feel it is my duty, in order to avoid the possibility of distorting your own independent data analysis, to confirm the fact that I do not possess a pipe.

Comment

Point 1

There is therefore nothing out of the ordinary in such statements that would allow one to suggest that they are from the same writer.

Point 2

Most letters to a paper will make a recommendation of some sort. that is the point of writing a letter to a paper. To put across a point of view and make suggestions.

Point 3

There is nothing ironic in those lines, it is just the posters view, his opinion, a creative imagination.

There appears to be nothing connecting these two letters at all, other than they are letters to Newspapers.
                            The poster insists on there is, however the explanation given fails to add any substance to that view.

Hi Steve,

Yes, I agree with many of your thoughts. So why didnīt the journalist think like you?

Regards Pierre

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                              Hi Steve,

Yes, I agree with many of your thoughts. So why didnīt the journalist think like you?

Regards Pierre
                              Once again I am somewhat confused by the posters reply.

Given that the letter appears to be a general letter asking people who may know anything about the killer to contact the police, and there appears to be nothing to suggest this is not the case.
                              The Papers(journalists) comment that they recommend that people follow the advice in the letter seems normal and non-controversial and indeed responsible.
                              The last sentence obviously refers to any rewards which may have still been in place for information.

I fear that once again the poster is reading far to much into what is written; there is undoubtedly a tendency to treat all communications as if they were from a Colin Dexter novel, and to look for hidden messages which are not, on this occasion at least, there.

That is a genuine comment with no intent what so ever to put poster down or belittle him, but an observation on his interpretation of any written matter.

regards

Elamarna

Comment

Once again I am somewhat confused by the posters reply.

Given that the letter appears to be a general letter asking people who may know anything about the killer to contact the police, and there appears to be nothing to suggest this is not the case.

The Papers(journalists) comment that they recommend that people follow the advice in the letter

Steve - No. They recommend the police to communicate with the writer. Why donīt you read what it says? It says:

"We should recommend the police to communicate with the writer of the above. There is no saying what may be in store for them."

seems normal and non-controversial and indeed responsible.
                                The last sentence obviously refers to any rewards which may have still been in place for information.

But it was not obvious to you.

I fear that once again the poster is reading far to much into what is written;

Donīt fear for that. Read the posts that "the poster" posts instead, Steve.

there is undoubtedly a tendency to treat all communications as if they were from a Colin Dexter novel,

Who is Colin Dexter? The poster doesnīt read that.

and to look for hidden messages which are not, on this occasion at least, there.

That is a genuine comment with no intent what so ever to put poster down or belittle him,

"The poster" doesnīt care about being put down. The poster only cares for science.

but an observation on his interpretation of any written matter.

regards

Elamarna
                                Regards, The Poster

Comment

Working...
                                X