Hanbury Street Graffiti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post

For all the points you mentioned in your post ,i would have thought that writing the message on the wall would fit right in with the very same kind of risk taking .Just my opinion.
    Risk taking to murder someone and take a sexual thrill in disembowelling isn't really on par with graffitiing a fence. There's not the thrill there that one gets from slicing a body up. That's worth the risk for him; I don't think a silly message is worth being caight over.
    O have you seen the devle
    with his mikerscope and scalpul
    a lookin at a Kidney
    With a slide cocked up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tani View Post

Risk taking to murder someone and take a sexual thrill in disembowelling isn't really on par with graffitiing a fence. There's not the thrill there that one gets from slicing a body up. That's worth the risk for him; I don't think a silly message is worth being caight over.
      I dont think we can say what or how the murderer was thinking during these crimes , what we might think ''we'' would or wouldnt do, cant be said for the killer im afaide.

Comment

Originally posted by FISHY1118 View Post

I dont think we can say what or how the murderer was thinking during these crimes , what we might think ''we'' would or wouldnt do, cant be said for the killer im afaide.
        There's not much point to speculation in that case. I'll just go home
        O have you seen the devle
        with his mikerscope and scalpul
        a lookin at a Kidney
        With a slide cocked up.

Comment

Its ok to speculate, but with caution especially where the GsG is concerned .

Comment

Originally posted by Tani View Post

Indeed, Tani, the thing is that we know for a fact the Ripper risked his very life by staying on the crime scene to inflict those mutilations, but there's only little evidence that might suggest he got something out of leaving messages and that, therefore, there's only little evidence at best, that he was willing to risk his life for that.
            "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
            Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

Originally posted by Holmes' Idiot Brother View Post

Hi Tani! I agree; I don't buy the GSG as being written by the Ripper. For years I have been calling it "the great Non-Clue."
              Ah you are indeed correct that the Ripper didn't write the GSG...

But that's missing the point...

It's the meaning, symbolism and sentiment behind the killer choosing to place a piece of Eddowes bloodied apron underneath the GSG that matters, and the reasoning behind making that choice in the first place.

He was either a Jew who was trying to prove a point
              ​​​​​​
              A Non-Jew who was being sarcastic and ironic...

Or a Non Jew who was trying to pass as a Jew

All of those options still apply within the context of the placing of the apron under the GSG

RD
              "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

It's the meaning, symbolism and sentiment behind the killer choosing to place a piece of Eddowes bloodied apron underneath the GSG that matters, and the reasoning behind making that choice in the first place.

Except that we can't say for certain that the killer deliberately placed the apron. He might have simply tossed it and by coincidence it landed near the writing.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

Except that we can't say for certain that the killer deliberately placed the apron. He might have simply tossed it and by coincidence it landed near the writing.

c.d.
                  It depends on how much you believe in coincidences.

RD

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

RD
                    Believe or disbelieve all you want but it doesn't change the fact that we don't KNOW whether the killer deliberately placed the apron.

c.d.

Comment

Believe or disbelieve all you want but it doesn't change the fact that we don't KNOW whether the killer deliberately placed the apron.

c.d.
                      You're quite right, nobody knows and that rings true about almost every other single aspect of the case.

Outside of "knowing" that MJK didn't commit suicide; what else do we actually know?

​​​​​​Reasoning, belief, and probability are all based on subjective reality...

Truth is absolute.

The truth is that we don't know why the killer happened to be the inadvertent bringer of an incredible coincidence when the cut apron segment was found under the GSG...

But some of us know the reality.

RD

Comment

Really? Well, do share.

c.d.

Comment

Really? Well, do share.

c.d.
                          Ah, you miss my point.

I said some of us "know the reality," which is based on probability, reasoning and belief.

Ergo, it's not the absolute truth because it can never be known; just as you said.

In other words; I am agreeing with you that we can never know the truth, but also that at the same time some of us choose to believe a reality based on probability and reasoning, rather than dismissing everything in front of us just for the sake of it.

RD

Comment

Originally posted by Holmes' Idiot Brother View Post

Hi Tani! I agree; I don't buy the GSG as being written by the Ripper. For years I have been calling it "the great Non-Clue."
                            Hi HIB,

I'm 50-50 on whether it was written by the Ripper, but I don't see how it's much of a clue even if he did write it. It's unclear what it means, and I don't see how it tells us anything about who probably was or wasn't. I don't even think it would mean that the killer was probably Gentile. The apron dropped at that spot is something of a clue though, because it tells us what direction he went in after the murder.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

RD
                              Hi RD,

I don't think it's much of a coincidence. If it's a given that he was going to drop the apron somewhere, one could ask whether it was a coincidence that he dropped next to wherever he happened to drop it, whether that was next to different graffito, a church, a synagogue, a butcher shop, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis C View Post

Hi HIB,

I'm 50-50 on whether it was written by the Ripper, but I don't see how it's much of a clue even if he did write it. It's unclear what it means, and I don't see how it tells us anything about who probably was or wasn't. I don't even think it would mean that the killer was probably Gentile. The apron dropped at that spot is something of a clue though, because it tells us what direction he went in after the murder.
                                Yes, definitely. It's clear the Ripper headed back "home," to safer ground, although he did take a risk going in that direction when the hue and cry had already been raised and anyone scarpering off or appearing rushed or agitated may well have been waylaid and subject to street justice. Someone in the dissertations brought up an interesting possibility: why did the Ripper hang on to the apron (which was covered in blood and feces) as long as he did? The author (whose name escapes me, alas) speculated that it was possible that in his frenzy, the Ripper did himself an injury, most likely his hand, and used the apron piece to staunch the flow of his own blood. If his purpose was to simply wipe his hands and knife clean, he could have done that on any part of Eddowes' body that was not bloodstained; holding onto it means taking a hell of a risk, especially since the police were en force and stopping people. Same with the vigilance committees. He would have had some explaining to do if some smart detective thought to match up the apron piece with the one this random man is holding. Even more explaining if his hand is injured! I gotta give Jack points for daring and hubris; he simply did not care, and that is hard for me to credit!

Comment

Working...
                                X