Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• September 24th Letter

Can anybody help?

As I do not have my 'Letters From Hell' about me at the moment, I'm wondering if anybody can produce a scan or transcription of this letter which was sent prior to the 'Dear Boss'?

I understand it was all but ignored at the time, but does apear in Evans and Skinner's book.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    JB

Hi John. I don't have a scan of that to put up. but I do recall Cornwell talking about this letter in her book and stating that where there's a blot of ink, it says 'Ripper' underneath. Personally, I would need someone totally unconnected to her to confirm this before I could even start to believe it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Thanks Tom,

I don't believe I saw any reference to 'Ripper' on that letter myself.

PS If anybody can help, just a transcription would do.

JB

Comment

Envelope:

on her majesterys service
        Sir Charles Warren
        Commissioner of
        Police
        Scotland Yard
        Immediately

Letter:

sep 24 1888
        Dear sir
        I do wish to give myself up I am in misery with nightmare I am the man who committed all these murders in the last six months my name is so [drawing of coffin] and so I am horse slauterer and work at Name [blacked out] address [blacked out] I have found the woman I wanted that is chapman and I done what I called slautered her but if any one comes I will surrender but I am not going to walk to the station by myself so I am yours truly [drawing of coffin]
        Keep the Boro road clear or I might take a trip up there
        Photo
        [drawing of knife]
        of knife
        this is the knife that I done these murders with it is a small handle with a large long blade sharpe both sides

Hope that helps.

Wolf.

Comment

Hi John. No, you didn't see any reference to 'Ripper', that's my point. Cornwell said that in her tests the word 'Ripper' was written under the drawing of the coffin following 'yours truly'. I ain't buying it just yet.

Thanks for the text, Wolf!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Wolf,

Thank you, you're a star.

Al the best
            John

Comment

It seems obvious that the blacked-out sections were actually done for that very purpose, to black out essential detail; and then some of these being stylisied to attempt to disguise that fact.
              I would imagine it a simple task today - if one had the actual letter - to forensically peer into the blacked-out sections and discover the missing words.
              So I'd be on your mettle.

Comment

That's precisely what Cornwell claimed she did, but fails to give us any details. And given her track record for accuracy, I'm inclined to take her story with a grain of salt until it's confirmed by an outside source.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Well, Tom, I got sauce and salt aplenty.
                  Which wound would you like it rubbed in?
                  The times are a'changing, Tom, stick your thumb out and you'll be mown down.

Comment

Perhaps the blacked-out words read "Copyright: Croydon Advertiser", AP...?

Just trying to help
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Maybe they read, "Did you get my letter on the 17th?"

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                        Maybe they read, "Did you get my letter on the 17th?"

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

I didn't do it, a big boy did it and ran away.

Comment

Love your nom de plume.Hadn't seen a post by you before.
                          Apologise for my "Jack the Kipper" recently.Wasn't plaigerisation,really.
                          Best,
                          Dave.

Comment

I'm expecting to be told, any time now, that the September 31st letter has been far too readily dismissed as a fake ...

Comment

I'm expecting to be told, any time now, that the September 31st letter has been far too readily dismissed as a fake ...
                              That was in a documentary wasnt it Chris? I think it was one Jeff Leahys mate worked on.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Working...
                              X