Lusk Letter sent to George Lusk of the vigilante committee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Damaso Marte View Post
    I don't think any of the major letters were addressed to [Abberline], no?
    I can't recall one that was definitely addressed to Abberline, DM; in contrast, some 24 surviving letters were addressed to Sir Charles Warren. In second place, with 9 specific entries, comes "Boss" (one of which is, in fact, addressed to "Head Boss of the Met", presumably Warren again).
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• There is a statement by a Miss Emily Marsh on October 19th that confirms Lusks address was easily obtained from the papers,... on Monday October 15th she had the following encounter in her fathers shop, printed in the Daily Telegraph, October 20th;

"A statement which apparently gives a clue to the sender of the strange package received by Mr. Lusk was made last night by Miss Emily Marsh, whose father carries on business in the leather trade at 218, Jubilee-street, Mile-end-road. In Mr. Marsh's absence Miss Marsh was in the front shop, shortly after one o'clock on Monday last, when a stranger, dressed in clerical costume, entered, and, referring to the reward bill in the window, asked for the address of Mr. Lusk, described therein as the president of the Vigilance Committee. Miss Marsh at once referred the man to Mr. J. Aarons, the treasurer of the committee, who resides at the corner of Jubilee-street and Mile-end-road, a distance of about thirty yards. The man, however, said he did not wish to go there, and Miss Marsh thereupon produced a newspaper in which Mr. Lusk's address was given as Alderney-road, Globe-road, no number being mentioned. She requested the stranger to read the address, but he declined, saying, "Read it out," and proceeded to write something in his pocket-book, keeping his head down meanwhile. He subsequently left the shop, after thanking the young lady for the information, but not before Miss Marsh, alarmed by the man's appearance, had sent the shop-boy, John Cormack, to see that all was right. This lad, as well as Miss Marsh, give a full description of the man, while Mr. Marsh, who happened to come along at the time, also encountered him on the pavement outside. The stranger is described as a man of some forty-five years of age, fully six feet in height, and slimly built. He wore a soft felt black hat, drawn over his forehead, a stand-up collar, and a very long black single-breasted overcoat, with a Prussian or clerical collar partly turned up. His face was of a sallow type, and he had a dark beard and moustache. The man spoke with what was taken to be an Irish accent. No importance was attached to the incident until Miss Marsh read of the receipt by Mr. Lusk of a strange parcel, and then it occurred to her that the stranger might be the person who had despatched it. His inquiry was made at one o'clock on Monday afternoon, and Mr. Lusk received the package at eight p.m. the next day. The address on the package curiously enough gives no number in Alderney-road, a piece of information which Miss Marsh could not supply."

It appears that the package with the note had a single London postmark, indicating that it was mailed and delivered within the same district, the East End.

I find it interesting that the man appeared in a "clerical costume", since it stands to reason that clerics might be some of the only men on the street late at night that might not scare off an unfortunate.

Cheers
      Michael Richards

Comment

• Here is another interpretation I have of the Lusk letter. IF a modern day researcher concludes that JTR was a paranoid schizophrenic with psychopathic tendencies, then the Lusk letter could be further evidence of this.

It is possible that JTR, in his delusional state of mind, believed Lusk was a threat to him (regardless of whether or not it was a big or small threat), a delusional belief in which a paranoid schizophrenic believes one or several others are "out to get him." This is further referenced by the first two words of the letter ("From Hell"), indicating the author's life has become a miserable one filled with nothing but fear, anger, and hate. ANd, it's possible the letter was meant to be an expression of "getting back" at those the author believes is out to get him. ("I am living in hell, but I will make those that are out to get me pay."

The kidney and the words "I may send you the bloody knife if you only wait.....Catch me when you can" may be meant to be a way for the killer of saying , "I know you are on to me and out to get me,.....well, guess what? I can get to you too. I know where to find you, and I am ready for you. So, back off before this happens to you next."

Perhaps the reason the message wasn't expressed more directly (like the words I wrote above), may have been due to the fact the writer was not fluent in English (hence the misspellings) and this was the best he could do with what limited vocabulary he had at the time.
        I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

• The stranger is described as a man of some forty-five years of age, fully six feet in height, and slimly built. He wore a soft felt black hat, drawn over his forehead, a stand-up collar, and a very long black single-breasted overcoat, with a Prussian or clerical collar partly turned up. His face was of a sallow type, and he had a dark beard and moustache.
          Were it not for the 10 year age discrepancy I'd say (Irish-born?) Francis Tumblety.
          Last edited by Bridewell; 12-31-2013, 10:02 AM.
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

I find it interesting that the man appeared in a "clerical costume", since it stands to reason that clerics might be some of the only men on the street late at night that might not scare off an unfortunate.

Cheers
            Michael.

I don't think it means he dressed like a Cleric, isn't it just the style of the collar on the overcoat?
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
              Michael.

I don't think it means he dressed like a Cleric, isn't it just the style of the collar on the overcoat?
              Hi Jon,

The description appears twice in the quote I posted, in the second case it mentions a "Prussian Style" clerical collar. My suggestion about clerics on the streets was just a coincidental mention really....although clearly interpreting the remark as a religious figure for that purpose. To be honest Im not sure exactly what she intended to convey by that wording.

Cheers
              Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                Were it not for the 10 year age discrepancy I'd say (Irish-born?) Francis Tumblety.
                I considered the same, and wonder if Tumblety's actual involvement in these crimes may have been in a lesser role than that of the knife wielder.

Cheers
                Michael Richards

Comment

• Hi and a happy New year to you all,Could Mr lusk have sent that parcel to himself? Also it seems a bit strange that he waited two days before contacting the old Bill surely if he thought this vile communication was genuine then he had in his possession a clue so why not do what any law abiding citizen would do and contact the police straight away.
                  Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                    Hi and a happy New year to you all,Could Mr lusk have sent that parcel to himself? Also it seems a bit strange that he waited two days before contacting the old Bill surely if he thought this vile communication was genuine then he had in his possession a clue so why not do what any law abiding citizen would do and contact the police straight away.
                    Interesting posit,... yes, it appears he waited 2 days to even mention it to someone else which would seem to indicate that he wasnt eager to bring it forward, which dampens the idea he sent it to himself. Then you have the issue of the human component, where does he access a kidney?

Cheers
                    Michael Richards

Comment

Interesting posit,... yes, it appears he waited 2 days to even mention it to someone else which would seem to indicate that he wasnt eager to bring it forward, which dampens the idea he sent it to himself. Then you have the issue of the human component, where does he access a kidney?

Cheers
                      Hi,if someone sent me a parcel or a letter and I thought it was from a serial killer I would be straight on to the police wouldn't you.Mr lusk wasn't a pauper by any means so he would have had the funds to purchase a kidney.Would the publicity help his business? also would a newspaper pay a fair amount of money for the exclusive story?.All guess work of course but I do think the delay is very strange.
                      Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
                        Hi,if someone sent me a parcel or a letter and I thought it was from a serial killer I would be straight on to the police wouldn't you.Mr lusk wasn't a pauper by any means so he would have had the funds to purchase a kidney.Would the publicity help his business? also would a newspaper pay a fair amount of money for the exclusive story?.All guess work of course but I do think the delay is very strange.
                        It is strange unless you consider that Lusk may have interpreted the package as a direct threat on himself, not a general Dear Boss kind of thing. He seems to have been genuinely scared of it. One wonders if the killer of Kate Eddowes did indeed send a kidney section to Lusk with that intention, and if he took it and kept it for that very reason. Someone with a grudge with Lusk...maybe unrelated to his Vigilance role.

Cheers
                        Michael Richards

Comment

It is strange unless you consider that Lusk may have interpreted the package as a direct threat on himself, not a general Dear Boss kind of thing. He seems to have been genuinely scared of it. One wonders if the killer of Kate Eddowes did indeed send a kidney section to Lusk with that intention, and if he took it and kept it for that very reason. Someone with a grudge with Lusk...maybe unrelated to his Vigilance role.

Cheers
                          Evening Michael,Here we have a man who is concerned for the safety of his fellow residents he becomes head of the vigillance committee who are determind to stop this foul creature from killing and also to bring him to justice then as soon as a clue is received via the post he does nothing but waits for two days .If he was scared that our killer was onto him and might attack him surely to God the safest thing to do is go to police station and seek help.Waiting two days is a very strange thing for a law abiding citizen to do.

Comment

• Waiting two days is a very strange thing for a law abiding citizen to do.
                            A law-abiding citizen in a state of shock perhaps?

Comment

I considered the same, and wonder if Tumblety's actual involvement in these crimes may have been in a lesser role than that of the knife wielder.

Cheers
                              It wouldn't surprise me either. (Glad I wasn't the only one who flagged him up from that description).

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                                A law-abiding citizen in a state of shock perhaps?
                                Hi,possible but not very likely you've got to admit for someone like lusk to receive a communication like this and not go straight to the police with it is strange also he would be withholding evidence .

Comment

Working...
                                X