From Hell (Lusk) Letter likely Fake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
    "It might turn out after all, to be the act of a Medical Student who would have no difficulty in obtaining the organ in question." - Inspector James McWilliam, City Police, 27 October 1888.

"...George Lusk was my grandfather. At the time of the murders he was a builder and well-known in the Whitechapel district, hence his Chairmanship of the Vigilance Committee. He lived at the time in Alderney Road which is not far from the London Hospital; I believe he either did some work in the hospital or for some of the staff and in later years he believed that the kidney was sent to him as a practical joke by someone in the London Hospital! This theory of his may of course have been a way of consoling himself for the fright he had when the parcel containing the kidney came to him through the post, he sought police protection for some days after." - Leonard Archer, 16 April 1966.
    Thanks Stewart.would explain why lusk waited two days before going to police.
    Last edited by pinkmoon; 09-08-2014, 07:06 AM.
    Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• Originally posted by pinkmoon View Post
      Thanks Stewart.would explain why lusk waited two days before going to police.
      Interesting that lusk was connected to London hospital. Matches up with FBI profile. Maybe the killer is someone LUsk knew from the hospital...or he could be the ripper

Comment

• To me it is hard to reconcile Lusk's "Great Fear" requiring protection with the delay.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
          Interesting that lusk was connected to London hospital. Matches up with FBI profile. Maybe the killer is someone LUsk knew from the hospital...or he could be the ripper
          Oh please! the last thing we need with hundreds of newbies about to flood the boards is another manufactured suspect.
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
            Oh please! the last thing we need with hundreds of newbies about to flood the boards is another manufactured suspect.
            Naw I think Lusk is the best suspect. He runs the whitechapel vigilance committee (I would too if I was the ripper, its the best cover)...then he turns up with a kidney that he sat on for two days. He needs protection but doesnt report it? Doesn't add up. The Ripper murders are connected to Lusk, whether he's involved or the ripper involved him I dont know. But his stories make me very suspicious. Inserting himself into the case not once but twice by leading the Committee and receiving a body part in the mail!!

Comment

• Though I don't doubt that an "enterprising journalist" might fake a letter. I doubt that this one was faked because of the language used. A journalist, attempting to emulate an Irishman, would have done a hell of a lot better job in his immitation. This looks to me like someone clowning around, which might have to do with a feeling of superiority in the aftermath of a murder.

Mike
              huh?

Comment

• I take back what I said about lusk being the best suspect. I can't see him having the knif skillz or knowledge of organs to commit rippings in the short dark time frame.

Comment

I take back what I said about lusk being the best suspect. I can't see him having the knif skillz or knowledge of organs to commit rippings in the short dark time frame.
                  Maybe he used his builders saw.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I take back what I said about lusk being the best suspect. I can't see him having the knif skillz or knowledge of organs to commit rippings in the short dark time frame.
                    "knif skillz"? It looks like you wrote the letters.

Mike
                    huh?

Comment

• so why was the ripper focused on lusk then...what was lusk's connection with london hospital? were nayone from the hospital/butchers member of the vigilance committee? do you think the ripper knew lusk or the rippers interest was sparked by lusk's insertion of himself into the case....I can also see the ripper feeling an affiliation with Lusk because Lusk was criticizing the cops and felt they were useless hence the formation of the committee. So the ripper is taunting but he also dislikes the police and would rather communicate with lusk apparently

Comment

• Surely a pig wouldn't have a 'ginny' kidney? After all, Dr Brown told Kate Eddowes' Inquest that the remaining kidney was 'pale, bloodless, with slight congestion at the base of the kidney'. Knowing Kate, like all the Ripper's victims, liked a drink or three, might that not indicate a tendency to Bright's disease?

I agree with others that finding a kidney, preserving it in wine, sending a parcel etc is quite an elaborate scenario for a simple practical joke.

As far as the communication to Lusk is concerned, Sugden's comment on its copybook quality, as if the writer were remembering how he was taught to compose a letter, is pertinent.

That is-right heading, address (from hell)- left heading, how to address the recipient, Mr Lusk, Sir (or sor). Sugden also observes that the r written up
                        high against the M in Mr is standard in English writing in the 19th century.

One of my strange hobbies is Victorian education. I can confirm that was peculiar to the teaching in British schools of the period. I've seen dozens of
                        examples. Whatever nationality the writer was, he had received schooling in the British Isles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                          Surely a pig wouldn't have a 'ginny' kidney? After all, Dr Brown told Kate Eddowes' Inquest that the remaining kidney was 'pale, bloodless, with slight congestion at the base of the kidney'. Knowing Kate, like all the Ripper's victims, liked a drink or three, might that not indicate a tendency to Bright's disease?

I agree with others that finding a kidney, preserving it in wine, sending a parcel etc is quite an elaborate scenario for a simple practical joke.

As far as the communication to Lusk is concerned, Sugden's comment on its copybook quality, as if the writer were remembering how he was taught to compose a letter, is pertinent.

That is-right heading, address (from hell)- left heading, how to address the recipient, Mr Lusk, Sir (or sor). Sugden also observes that the r written up
                          high against the M in Mr is standard in English writing in the 19th century.

One of my strange hobbies is Victorian education. I can confirm that was peculiar to the teaching in British schools of the period. I've seen dozens of
                          examples. Whatever nationality the writer was, he had received schooling in the British Isles.
                          G'day Rosella

Good point about the Mr I'd missed that.
                          G U T

Comment

• I tend to give 'From Hell' a lot more credence than my more skeptical Ripperological brethren, and my rationale has nothing to do with the cold cut sent out with it.

Here's why:

When 'From Hell' was dispatched to Lusk, 'Dear Boss' had already sunk deeply into the public consciousness, together with its pithy, punchy vernacular and copperplate writing. And whilst we know that the major police officials already took 'Dear Boss' for a hoax by Eddowes' murder, the overwhelming majority of laypersons seem to have accepted it as genuine: and this is why other hoaxes seem emulative of its Cockney lilt, riddled with musings against "cusses of coppers" and the like.

Not so the Lusk Letter. That it intends to project a false character of its author is undeniable - but this persona seems to be that of a morbid, blood-sated Irishman and not a streetwise Cockney tuff.

Should not our hypothetical medical student hoaxer have seen a 'Dear Boss' handbill and copied that? Perhaps "'ere's 'er bloomin' organ, govnah; tasted very keen"?

In other words: would a medical student hoaxer have known enough to avoid a 'Dear Boss'/'Saucy Jacky' template?
                            Last edited by Defective Detective; 11-16-2014, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• D.D.

If any of the letters is genuine (which must be doubtful) I think it is this one - for pretty much the reasons you have described.
                              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Defective Detective View Post
                                I tend to give 'From Hell' a lot more credence than my more skeptical Ripperological brethren, and my rationale has nothing to do with the cold cut sent out with it.

Here's why:

When 'From Hell' was dispatched to Lusk, 'Dear Boss' had already sunk deeply into the public consciousness, together with its pithy, punchy vernacular and copperplate writing. And whilst we know that the major police officials already took 'Dear Boss' for a hoax by Eddowes' murder, the overwhelming majority of laypersons seem to have accepted it as genuine: and this is why other hoaxes seem emulative of its Cockney lilt, riddled with musings against "cusses of coppers" and the like.

Not so the Lusk Letter. That it intends to project a false character of its author is undeniable - but this persona seems to be that of a morbid, blood-sated Irishman and not a streetwise Cockney tuff.

Should not our hypothetical medical student hoaxer have seen a 'Dear Boss' handbill and copied that? Perhaps "'ere's 'er bloomin' organ, govnah; tasted very keen"?

In other words: would a medical student hoaxer have known enough to avoid a 'Dear Boss'/'Saucy Jacky' template?
                                No.
                                Nor would he known enough to send only half
                                Nor to Not sign it jack the ripper
                                Nor to send to an obscure man and not to the police or newspaper

Comment

Working...
                                X