From Hell (Lusk) Letter likely Fake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sleuth1947 View Post
    I am surprised that there appears to be so much skepticism about the Lusk "From hell" letter. It seems likely to me that the text might have been a combination of idiosyncratic speech and purposeful obfuscation. Moreover, as the kidney was ultimately shown to be human, it seems possible that it was indeed Eddowes'. Had DNA investigation been available in 1888, at least that question might have been put to rest. I frankly think the Lusk letter is the only genuine Ripper letter; does anyone else agree?
    Hello, Sleuth,

Welcome to Casebook. I think that, if there is a genuine letter, it's this one. Perversely perhaps, the failure to jump on the "Jack the Ripper" band-wagon adds to its credibility. The acquisition of a human kidney would be nigh on impossible for most also. One argument favours a hoax by medical students but I doubt that many would want to risk their future careers by pulling such a stunt. I can't join you in saying that the Lusk letter "is the only genuine Ripper letter", but it's a more credible candidate than the rest.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Kate's kidney

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
      Bright's disease is inflammation of the kidneys. It's a general term for inflammation, and when someone 130 years ago had "Bright's disease," they could have had any of a collection of several diseases, one very common one, or at any rate, very common in 1888, less common now, was inflammation of the glomeruli, which are the actual filtration tissues. It's a likely candidate for what Eddowes could have had, because it was identifiable on sight, and it was chronic, but something people could potentially live with for a long time. The cause was sometimes a prior infection of strep, which is why it was once a lot more common than it is now, since people treat strep with antibiotics before it could cause something like this.

I don't know what "preservation in spirits" would do to make a kidney look more of less like it had glomerulitis; whether it might make a kidney that had the problem "settle down," or cause a healthy kidney to look discolored or puffy in a way that might seem inflamed.

Also, while the Lusk kidney is "half" a kidney, and we picture it as bisected through the median, so it's either the top or bottom half, it's possible that it could be a section without enough glomeruli to diagnose it.

And, then glomerulitis was more common than it used to be.
      Evening all (been dying to say that),

The kidney was divided lengthways, wasn't it?

One thing has just struck me and that is why no attempt was made to match the pieces up (er, obviously with the remaining kidney!). Even if poor Kate had been laid to rest, exhumations were done at the time. Cold time of year, there would be a chance that the body wasn't too decomposed.

Best wishes,
      C4
      Last edited by curious4; 04-03-2013, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• Hey Sleuth1947,

You are correct.

There is a high probability that ALL of the correspondences are fake. But....if only one was in fact genuine, it is most probably....THE LUSK LETTER.
        - It didn't mention JTR
        - It contained a human kidney that may have been Eddowes
        - It was sent and recieved around the correct time (and not miraculously found over 100 years later in a house in Liverpool!)
        - and, it possesses some interesting 'slants' according to several hand-writting experts.

So, yes.

Nicole
        ---------------------------------------------------
        "We serial killers are your sons, we are your husbands, we are everywhere. And there will be more of your children dead tomorrow."
        - Ted Bundy

Comment

• And there is, of course, the possibility that we have a record of the sender seeking Lusk's postal address.

Though, even if the testimony is correct, the man involved might have been a hoaxer rather than "Jack"/the killer of Eddowes.

Phil

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleuth1947 View Post
            I am surprised that there appears to be so much skepticism about the Lusk "From hell" letter. It seems likely to me that the text might have been a combination of idiosyncratic speech and purposeful obfuscation. Moreover, as the kidney was ultimately shown to be human, it seems possible that it was indeed Eddowes'. Had DNA investigation been available in 1888, at least that question might have been put to rest. I frankly think the Lusk letter is the only genuine Ripper letter; does anyone else agree?

Hi Sleuth,

I would think its appropriate to view this correspondence as potentially from Kates killer, but for my money that doesnt equate to it being from Jack the Ripper. There are some interesting circumstantial elements to this event, and the fact that Lusk holds onto this package for 2 days before even telling his closest friends makes me wonder whether Lusk was threatened by an unknown madman or someone he knew. One would think that in that area at that time if anything seemingly relevant to the investigation was discovered it would be addressed immediately and thoroughly.

But not in this case. Lusk doesnt even take it to the authorities after telling his friends...he wants someone to examine it to see if its human.

And lets not forget, Lusk is in charge of one of the larger Vigilance Committees...he has tasked himself and his cohorts with trying to catch the killer terrorizing the neighborhood....and in comes this package, if from the killer, a potentially valuable bit of evidence at least prosecutorially if not investigatorially. And Lusk sits on it quietly for 48 hours.

Yep...I think he was afraid, but not of the unknown. If he had been I believe he would have run straight to the police with it.

Cheers
            Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by nicole View Post
              Hey Sleuth1947,

You are correct.

There is a high probability that ALL of the correspondences are fake. But....if only one was in fact genuine, it is most probably....THE LUSK LETTER.
              - It didn't mention JTR
              - It contained a human kidney that may have been Eddowes
              - It was sent and recieved around the correct time (and not miraculously found over 100 years later in a house in Liverpool!)
              - and, it possesses some interesting 'slants' according to several hand-writting experts.

So, yes.

Nicole
              Which is why, for all those reasons stated, I choose to believe the 'From Hell' letter is the real deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                Which is why, for all those reasons stated, I choose to believe the 'From Hell' letter is the real deal.
                Yup. In terms do authenticity for ripper writings I rank the GSG, from hell and dear boss 1,2 and 3.

Comment

• For well over twenty years I believed that the dear boss letter and the goulston street message and the from hell letter and all the other well known letters were genuine however over the years I have come to the conclusion that they are fake.I would love them to be genuine they add a fantastic twist to this case but applying certain basic logic and common sense you have to ask the most basic question "how hard would it be for our killer to leave no doubt that these communications were genuine" simple answer very easy indeed.Why not include a small piece of the victims clothing with the messages?why not make a reference to the fact you've just killed two women in the goulston street message?why not send the ears?
                  Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

• If I accept any letter it is "From Hell".

I'm on the fence re GSG.

I would need a lot of convincing about "Dear Boss" or "Saucy Jack".

However I often wonder about the 100's of others and if any of them [maybe 1 or 5] might be from the killer.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• right

Hello Jason. Precisely. Well spoke.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        If I accept any letter it is "From Hell".

I'm on the fence re GSG.

I would need a lot of convincing about "Dear Boss" or "Saucy Jack".

However I often wonder about the 100's of others and if any of them [maybe 1 or 5] might be from the killer.
                        Do you think it was mere coincidence that JTR happened to fulfill the promise in the 'Dear Boss' letter (re: 'clipping the lady's ear)?

As far as the GSG goes, I'm very sceptical. It wasn't there BEFORE the killing, correct? Therefore, I find it a little farfetched that JTR paused his getaway to write some vague, nonsensical graffito while the streets were buzzing with plod. I prefer Martin Fido's explanation that it was probably a disgruntled customer who had been shafted by one of the Jewish bootmakers. Like most aspects of the case, I remain open-minded, however.

Comment

• Jewish bootmarkers didn't shaft customers. They were the ones who got shafted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                            Jewish bootmarkers didn't shaft customers. They were the ones who got shafted.
                            They won't be blamed for anything, will they?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                              Jewish bootmarkers didn't shaft customers. They were the ones who got shafted.
                              exactly. and I doubt someone who was pissed off specifically at someone for a deal gone bad would be cryptic. they would leave no doubt. Like "Cohen is a theif" or "don't buy meat from Jones". and write it big.

who the hell knows whats going through the mind of a serial killer though, and who/why he blames, and what the motivations are. Lots of gray areas there, which is why the graffiti may appear enigmatic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                                exactly. and I doubt someone who was pissed off specifically at someone for a deal gone bad would be cryptic. they would leave no doubt. Like "Cohen is a theif" or "don't buy meat from Jones". and write it big.

who the hell knows whats going through the mind of a serial killer though, and who/why he blames, and what the motivations are. Lots of gray areas there, which is why the graffiti may appear enigmatic.
                                I still find it hard to believe that our killer didn't make any reference to the two murders he had just committed.
                                Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Working...
                                X