If the 'Dear Boss' letter is a hoax...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John G View Post
    The"Dear Boss" letter lacks provenance and therefore shouldn't be taken seriously: Discuss.
    The dear boss letter has provenance. It's the minories letter that doesn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
      Thanks Abbey, a well-spotted mistake.

Note to self: I must remember not to send posts late at night after a night out, during which the odd beer may have been consumed!

Mind you, not sure Pierre would have noticed the error.
      Last edited by John G; 10-05-2016, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
        Was there a double murder in that are on 30th or 31st March 1889?
        Just to add to my earlier response to this post. The letter does not say there will be a double murder. The natural reading of the text is that the killer will commit a murder at midnight of the 1st/2nd of the month, i.e. at the point when the one day ends and the next begins.

But if your answer to my question of how do you know the letter was not written on 29 March 1889 is "Because there was no double murder following 29 March 1889", do you understand how absurd this is? If not, let me know and I will set it out in detail.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
          Just to add to my earlier response to this post. The letter does not say there will be a double murder. The natural reading of the text is that the killer will commit a murder at midnight of the 1st/2nd of the month, i.e. at the point when the one day ends and the next begins.

But if your answer to my question of how do you know the letter was not written on 29 March 1889 is "Because there was no double murder following 29 March 1889", do you understand how absurd this is? If not, let me know and I will set it out in detail.
          Yes, it's worth pointing out that the term midnight, when considered in the context of a date change, is ambiguous, as technically midnight is neither ante-meridian nor post-meridian, therefore neither the 1st nor 2nd of a month.
          Last edited by John G; 10-06-2016, 12:03 AM.

Comment

ALL the alleged letters of Jack the Ripper have provenance regardless of their content, as they are written at that time.
            ‘There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact’ Sherlock Holmes

Comment

• Originally posted by Spider View Post
              ALL the alleged letters of Jack the Ripper have provenance regardless of their content, as they are written at that time.

So sorry Spider that is not true of the 29th inst.letter.
              We have No idea as to its date of creation.

There appears to be no history of it until 1927.

There is no history of its ownership or origin. That is provenance; the letter 29th inst. does not have any

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post

Has it been established whether he meant to kill in the Minories or find women in the Minories?

I still think the letter reads as two separate letters, like Dear Boss and Saucy Jack.
                :

Robert

I hope you don't mind me answering this.

Nothing has been established at all:

Not the writer of the letter.

Not the date it was written or posted.

However we can look at what pierre has claimed on the issue:

To begin with Pierre posted 2 women would be killed in the Minority and both Berners-Lee Street and Mitre Square were in the parish of Holy Trinity Minority.

It was easy to show that this was not accurate as neither site was in the parish Pierre claimed.

He then attempted to say that it did not matter if the sites were in the parish or not because the killer may have believed they were.

Obviously this was not supported by any source.

Pierre now has changed his view, to the killer stated searching in the Minories. However to date no independent source other than the letter itself is given as a source for this claim.

It seems clear nothing has been established at all with regards to this letter.

Steve
                Last edited by Elamarna; 10-06-2016, 10:26 AM.

Comment

That is wrong. Every letter has provenance but we are not always able to establish it.

Pierre

Comment

• [QUOTE=Elamarna;394595]Robert

However we can look at what pierre has claimed on the issue:

To begin with Pierre posted 2 women would be killed in the Minority and both Berners-Lee Street and Mitre Square were in the parish of Holy Trinity Minority.

LIAR.

Comment

That is wrong. Every letter has provenance but we are not always able to establish it.
                      I agree with you on this occasion Pierre. The letter does have a provenance but, at the same time, it's not a very good one because we don't have the original and the only evidence of its existence is in a secondary source, being a book published for commercial profit by a journalist.

I'm curious as to why you have suddenly started to trust secondary sources having lectured us constantly about the importance of official primary sources.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Pierre;394604]
                        Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                        Robert

LIAR.
                        "Liar"? Don't you think you might be under a bit of a strain at the moment?
                        Last edited by John G; 10-06-2016, 11:34 AM.

Comment

LIAR.
                          You call Steve a liar Pierre but the fact is that you did say that Berner Street and Mitre Square were in the ancient parish of Minories did you not?

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                            Yes, it's worth pointing out that the term midnight, when considered in the context of a date change, is ambiguous, as technically midnight is neither ante-meridian nor post-meridian, therefore neither the 1st nor 2nd of a month.
                            Inst means "this month". This month is the 30th.

Comment

Pierre
                              So this source, which you seem to have staked your reputation on, is virtually worthless then?

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                                You call Steve a liar Pierre but the fact is that you did say that Berner Street and Mitre Square were in the ancient parish of Minories did you not?
                                You behave like a child. You try to force words upon me that I do not speak.

Read this again: "at work" "in the Minories".

Do I mention Berner Street above?

Comment

Working...
                                X