Dear Boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Tom Wescott:
    I semi-get the Peter Pan reference to Paul Begg. I KNOW who Tinkerbell is: Suzy with her Diddles (whom I'm supposed to both meet tomorrow, and initially I thought for real that Diddles was a real cat, until I did some picture-related research).
    Best regards,
    Maria

Comment

• Diddles was a real cat. He walked over Maria Harvey's chest and woke her up. Suzi Hanney, however, is not a real person.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• this & that

Hello Maria. The Morris piece is merely his reproducing a list of police spies. But it is interesting.

The Liverpool paper you mentioned is creating a blank. I'll peek at Rocker and see if I can find it.

For now, I think I'd better stop contributing to the delinquency of a thread.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

• Here is a question that I have been thinking about -- if the police had suspicions that a newspaper editor had written the letter, would they have confronted him? Maybe make it off the record. If you wrote it, tell us and we will keep it to ourselves.

Just a thought.

c.d.

Comment

• Hi C.D. Personally, I consider Tom Bulling a weak suspect for the Dear Boss letter. Best makes a much better suspect, as far as newspapermen go. Bulling almost certainly is the hand behind the 'Moab & Midian' letter, for which he was busted, and from this suspicion reached back to the originals for which the M&M letter was imitating. That's how I see it. Best seems to have definitely perpetrated some hoax in relation to the Whitechapel murders for which he was busted, and this may or may not pertain to the 'Dear Boss' letter.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Hi Tom,

Was it Anderson that pointed the finger at Bulling?

c.d.

Comment

• Can I please ask a very newbie question (which I very much hope SPE doesn't see, 'cause: embarrassing): Does Jack the Ripper – Letters from Hell discuss ALL the Ripper letters, or, at least, all the relatively relevant ones? I want to order this book on Sunday (after my current credit card bill closes, so that the expense goes to next month!).
                Thank you so much.
                Best regards,
                Maria

Comment

• Yes, it does, Maria, and 'Scotland Yard Investigates' by Evans and Rumbelow sort of works as a companion piece as it gives the text of all the 'Ripper letters' in the City Police files.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Lynn,
                    the Liverpool paper is probably similar to Der Arbeter Fraint in content and style, and it appeared bi-weekly. And is it really raining cats and dogs over there? (Or is it raining Diddles?)

Tom,
                    no idea who Maria Harvey was...
                    Now to look at some itinerary instructions that the human sat nav of Ripperology (Rob Clack) gave me yesterday. For this one I need to look at the current map of London, not the 1873 or the 1894 one! (But a really conscientious researcher would feel the strong compulsion to compare between the three...!)
                    And many apologies for further contributing to the highjacking of this thread.
                    (I detect the presence of too many cute emoticons. Am I getting a severe case of SuziHanneytis?)
                    Best regards,
                    Maria

Comment

• Scotland Yard investigates is also at the top of my list. Thank you so very much for all the insider information on the lit, Tom. Now I hope to be able to find both (SY investigates and JTR Letters from Hell) second hand for a few pennies. My Sugden's second hand and in an impeccable state. (Sadly, has not yet even been opened by its current owner, although I can see it from here, lying inside my trolley case. But someday... We all live in hope.)
                      Best regards,
                      Maria

Comment

• Red Demon

Come back Red Demon - all is forgiven...
                        SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

• No Evidence

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                          Hi C.D. Personally, I consider Tom Bulling a weak suspect for the Dear Boss letter. Best makes a much better suspect, as far as newspapermen go. Bulling almost certainly is the hand behind the 'Moab & Midian' letter, for which he was busted, and from this suspicion reached back to the originals for which the M&M letter was imitating. That's how I see it. Best seems to have definitely perpetrated some hoax in relation to the Whitechapel murders for which he was busted, and this may or may not pertain to the 'Dear Boss' letter.
                          Yours truly,
                          Tom Wescott
                          There is absolutely no evidence that 'Best' wrote the 'Dear Boss' letter, in fact quite the contrary. Whatever does 'for which he was busted' mean?
                          SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

• SPE wrote:
                            Whatever does 'for which he was busted' mean?

I was wondering that too. Does Tom Wescott's post mean that both Bulling and Best “got busted“, and of what does “getting busted“ consist exactly? (Unless he means that they “got busted“ by Ripperologists!)
                            With apologies for the newbie questions, but I'll order JTR Letters from Hell and Scotland Yard investigates later tonight.
                            (Just back from my very first Ripperological conference.)
                            Best regards,
                            Maria

Comment

• Stewart, Maria,

I think Tom may be referring to Andrew Cooks revelations which supposedly nail Best as the writer.

Monty
                              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Thank you SO very much for the info, Monty.
                                The link for a related thread on casebook is here:
                                http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?p=88702
                                The thread contains links for more threads discussing the matter, and quotations from Andrew Cook's book/upcoming manuscript.
                                (I have to admit that the fact that you address your post to SPE and to me in the same breath resonates in some way. What shall I do with this now? Perhaps print it out and frame it?!)
                                Best regards,
                                Maria

Comment

Working...
                                X