No announcement yet.

Dear Boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the issue of Arbeter Fraint that Philip Kranz was working on the night of the murder, as well as the issue following. Neither mention the murders, but the advertisements are interesting.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Does Philip Kranz read Yiddish? If you need any Arbeter Fraint issues translated, you can stand in line, IF we manage to find a translator from Chicago. (As apparently we have, but no one's budging.) I'll email Lynn in a little while, I just need to make a long phone call and vacuum-clean this place before it gets too dark.
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

Kranz was the editor of Der Arbeter Fraint in 1888, so yes, he spoke and wrote in Yiddish, among other dialects and languages. And did you read my post about there being no mention of the murder?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Ouch! I actually KNEW that Philip Kranz was the editor of Der Arbeter Fraint in 1888, but for a minute I thought you were talking about some Ripperologist! I'm having a severe case of “tunnel vision“ right now, concentrating on my French research, plus I'm quite a bit tired. (A certain amount of hardship has been accumulating since weeks.)
          I saw in your post that Der Arbeter Fraint didn't mention the murder, but to me it totally makes sense this way. Why would the IWMC want to advertise a murder which occurred in their back yard, in their own newspaper? The other story/editorial concocted by William Morris in The Commonweal was obviously an attempt to “politicize“ this event and to “bounce it away“.
          I'm more interested in the ads in Der Arbeter Fraint, especially if they mention anything about manual workers seeking jobs (so that we might establish something about Israel Schwartz's connection to the IWMC). What was it that you found interesting in the advertisements specifically?
          I'll email Lynn in a minute, I just have to email back Rob Clack first. Even my boss will have to wait, I'll email Lynn before him.
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

Maria,

I'm not sure why you have to e-mail Lynn regarding my question. I believe he's visiting and contributing to this thread.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Who's Rob Clack?

Comment

Tom,
              I had to email Lynn Cates about something else, and I reminded him to contribute to this thread with information about the William Morris article/editorial in The Commonweal.
              I'm sure you're joking about Rob Clack. You are the one who was praising his photographs and contribution in Examiner 3.
              Best regards,
              Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                P.S. Who's Rob Clack?
                The person who was first on Maria's e-mail list

Rob

Comment

editorial

Hello Maria. Which? You mean about police spies?

There is a link to that from my Kaufmann thread.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Rob Clack wrote:
                    The person who was first on Maria's e-mail list.

Actually that very first, special person would be Don Souden! (And I almost feel like Stride on the evening of Sept. 30th 1888 now.)
                    Lynn, I'll look up your link in the Kaufmann thread anytime soon. As long as I get done with some sh*t pertaining to iPhoto. Stupid software is out of its mind since about a week, no clue why. I'm trying to import the newest photos of sources I shot, and the darn thing wants to duplicate ALL 300 photos inside my camera, again and again, so I have to operate manually. Still 25 photos to REFUSE importing, until I get to the 5 current ones I need to import. Anyone knows what might be wrong with the darn iPhoto software here? (on Mac, not PC.) Maybe it just needs an update.
                    Best regards,
                    Maria

Comment

• Don Souden, Slave Driver

Originally posted by mariab
                      Actually that very first, special person would be Don Souden!
                      We'll see if that changes. Don doesn't pay for crap. I told him I'd hand him proof of the Ripper's identity. I said "For 10 grand you get the knife, the cape, the top hat, the whole damn thing." Don's response was, "What can I get for a free copy of the zine?" That's how my Le Grand article came about.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• I kinda thought it was Don's 'zine. But if Tom keeps bringing up these lengthy, chatty essays... we might start calling it WWW (for Wescott's Words of Wisdom).
                        My head's spinning for real now, after some quality time with sh**ty iPhoto. 10'min. to identify the hand at the Départment des manuscripts, as I even serendipitously opened the box in the right position (and this has happened to me before, I just happen to have a “lucky hand“ with sources); half an hour to fight against a retard librarian to let me shoot a picture of it; over 45'min. to import the crap into my laptop. How many days will it take me to complete the article? (From here to eternity...)
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                          Kranz was the editor of Der Arbeter Fraint in 1888, so yes, he spoke and wrote in Yiddish, among other dialects and languages. And did you read my post about there being no mention of the murder?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                          How does that title translate?

c.d.

Comment

• The title translates into The worker's best friend.
                            What I'm interested in are the advertisements. What were they about?
                            (I don't guess corsets? Kosher corsets? OK, that was a terrible joke, and a thousands apologies to the Jewish community – by the by, is there such as a Jewish community on casebook?)
                            Best regards,
                            Maria

Comment

• Danke, Maria.

c.d.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.d.
                                How does that title translate?
                                It's The Worker's Friend. No Best....He worked at the Star.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                                X