Dear Boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Hello Maria. Margin--along with slope and slant--are the best indicators of the writer's identity. They are least likely to be forged for the reasons I articulated in some previous posts.
    Lynn, are you talking about margin shift, as in it shifting to the right (or to the left)? I can assure you that in the manuscripts I'm fairly familiar with (Scribe and Meyerbeer, among else) the margins are completely inconsistent.

Originally posted by SPE View Post
    What do you mean by 'shifting margins'?
    I think he means if the handwriting is a bit asymmetrical and moves closer to the right or left margins from line to line.

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Get some sleep.
    That's precisely what my boss said. :-) I need to hold on another hour, make a phone call to Chicago, then can collapse.
    Best regards,
    Maria

Comment

• margin of error

Hello Mr. Evans. When some people (like myself) compose a letter, they (and I) begin nearly flush left; but, by the bottom of the page, the margin has wandered towards the right--in my case, a good deal.

The clear copy used on Casebook shows a left shift in margin--very rare. But if the letter was written that way, it could eliminate VERY many writers.

On the other hand, IF the letter were slightly cocked upon being photographed, it would prove fruitless for identification of a suspect.

Thanks.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

• geniuses, et al

Hello Maria. Yes, that's it.

It is not infrequent that creative types show no consistency in such items. On the other hand, we slow, plodding types . . . .

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

• inconsistencies

Lynn, I'm not sure if it's a sign of “creativity“, but most people are inconsistent in slant. I know I am. Obviously it depends on the height and straightness of the desk or surface where one's writing, and on if one's always writing their letters on the same desk. For some people (like athletes or people who went to war) it even depends on which part of the arm is injured at any given time. (Like right now, there's no way I could stand to put my lacerated elbow on the table when writing. :-))
          As for forgery purposes, I'm sure slope and slant is easier to fake than specific letter shape.
          Best regards,
          Maria

Comment

• The whole of the letter...

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
            The clear copy used on Casebook shows a left shift in margin--very rare. But if the letter was written that way, it could eliminate VERY many writers.
            On the other hand, IF the letter were slightly cocked upon being photographed, it would prove fruitless for identification of a suspect.
            LC
            The photographs I have posted here show the whole of the letter, including the edges, so I don't see how 'cocking' comes into it.
            SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

• Originally posted by mariab View Post
              As a matter of fact, I'm about to email him back.
              (Just entered my apartment in Berlin and gotta run to the post office, after a more or less sleepless night.)

Lynn, why are the margins important to you?
              In the post scriptum I see a different ink apart from obvious haste in the handwriting, but I'm sleepless and my eyes hurt (only slept on the plane for a couple hours, turbulence and all).
              Hi Maria

The postscript was written in red crayon or pencil. It was not written in red ink as was the letter itself.

Best regards

Chris
              Christopher T. George
              Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
              just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
              For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
              RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Hello Maria.

"most people are inconsistent in slant"

Hmmm, new one on me. All my letters are without slant--bolt upright. Right slant is common, left, a bit rare. My slope is also quite consistent--over 30 degrees downward left to right. Also, margin migration is always to the right.

"As for forgery purposes, I'm sure slope and slant is easier to fake than specific letter shape."

Quite right--PROVIDED you are aware of it. As I said earlier, all the discussions of forgery that I have followed were focused ONLY on letter formation.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

• explanation

Hello Mr. Evans. Thanks.

"The photographs I have posted here show the whole of the letter, including the edges, so I don't see how 'cocking' comes into it."

What I mean is that the faded copy looks like the camera was held directly in line with the margins. If so, the left margin does not wander at all.

On the "nice" copy, there seems to be a 5-10 degree margin shift to the left (very rare), but could be accounted for by having the camera "cocked" just a few degrees off center (as per Steven's post).

If, however, the original writer actually employed a slight (albeit unconscious) leftward margin shift, then, given its infrequent occurrence, the writer may be relatively easy to discover.

That's why I am fussing over just which copy to use as most true to the original.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

• Hello, Lynn.

First of all, thanks to Stewart Evans for pitching in and helping to clarify this matter. I had hoped he would. For once it seems my thoughts / analysis have been proved correct. A look at posts 239, 247, and 248 should clear everything up.

Best wishes,
                    Steve.

Comment

• thanks

Hello Steven. Thanks. Yes, that may be where one needs to start, but great pity it's not the other one--much easier for an old man's eyes.

Thanks also to Mr. Evans for posting it.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
                        Hi Maria
                        The postscript was written in red crayon or pencil. It was not written in red ink as was the letter itself.
                        Best regards
                        Chris
                        Thank you so much for confirming. It totally looks like it!

Just to clarify, I haven't yet been able to properly study Letters from Hell and SY investigates due to the books' format! They're so huge, they can't be taken along on a trip, and I've been mostly on the road of lately. But it will happen that I manage to study them in the very near future.
                        Best regards,
                        Maria

Comment

• They're both fascinating reads, Maria. I'm sure you'll enjoy 'em.

Best wishes,
                          Steve.

Comment

• They're absolutely fascinating and very complementary, and I've perused them, but not really studied them yet, which needs a bit more time I'm afraid.
                            As for their format, they're almost bigger than my coffee table. :-)
                            Best regards,
                            Maria

Comment

• step 1

Hello All. I've begun inquiries for obtaining some letters from a library for comparison to the "Dear Boss."

Wish me luck. Dealing with these agencies can be quite time consuming.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

• Lynn, I assume you're referring to letters by journalists, not spies? Or does this refer to the Palo Alto sources? By the by, after asking at the LMA I have a possible way of how to research Rachkovsky's financial records, and the same for certain members of the WVC. Can I email you pertaining to this (in a few days)?
                                Best regards,
                                Maria

Comment

Working...
                                X