An experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Errata View Post
    I dunno. Asking for an Academic Historian is like asking for a neonatologist. A highly specific request concerning a very specific set of skills that when you need, only a neonatologist will do. Mere published historians are not Academic Historians. That title is reserved for those who write departmentally approved general histories formatted by era. Much like the vaunted and respected encyclopedia of old. Did your friend contribute to this whitewashing practice? Because that's what Pierre is demanding. The hyper generalized vast texts we looked to in the 70s as the fonts of all knowledge.
    Both of their PhDs were on the history of education in some form so surely that's an academic historian, just as a historian who writes on war is a War Historian.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• [QUOTE=David Orsam;376189]
      You are confused Pierre. You were the one who said that you had had "[I]a good opportunity over a number of months to assess the abilities of various people who have been trying to find Jack the Ripper for 128 years without managing to do so."
      No, you are confused, David. You are mixing "various people" with "academic historians".

In response, I pointed out that you haven't actually bothered to do this because you have only read two books on the case neither of which contained an effort to find Jack the Ripper.
      "Bothered"? You are generalizing about why I do not read non academic ripperology, and still I have told you that I preferably exclude non academic literature.

I don't care whether you read books on the case or not and am therefore not going to recommend any to you therefore your questions do not apply
      You could not answer the questions.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

• Hi,

Is there not one single person here who can recommend literature about Jack the Ripper, written by an academic historian?

Regards, Pierre

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
          Hi,

Is there not one single person here who can recommend literature about Jack the Ripper, written by an academic historian?

Regards, Pierre

Pierre

Its not that no one can; its that no one is wants to.

its a choice!

Steven

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
            Pierre

Its not that no one can; its that no one is wants to.

its a choice!

Steven
            They can't.

Pierre

Comment

They can't.

Pierre
              No, Its a choice!
              The same choice you make, when you decide not to answer questions you are asked!

steven

Comment

• I'll bite.

Off the top of my head, Jack the Ripper and the London Press. Believe the author's name is Curtis or Perry. I'm almost certain that it's peer reviewed.

If you actually had any interest in this, you could always just Google the information for yourself though.

Comment

No, you are confused, David. You are mixing "various people" with "academic historians".
                  I'm not confused at all Pierre, whereas you are so confused you have actually misinterpreted your own post.

Our discussion went like this:

You implied that you had been assessing the abilities of "various people who have been trying to find Jack the Ripper". In response, I pointed out that if you had truly wanted to assess the abilities of people who have been trying to find Jack the Ripper you would have read some books written by people trying to find Jack the Ripper. My point, in other words, was that you have not, in reality, been assessing the abilities of people who have been trying to find Jack the Ripper,

Neither of us mentioned anything about academic historians.

In response, you wrongly stated that I thought you should read some Ripperological books. On the basis that I would recommend you some books, you asked me how many of those books were written by academic historians. But as I don't care whether you read any Ripperological books or not and would not recommend any to you, the question is incapable of being answered.

I trust you now understand and are no longer confused.

Comment

• [QUOTE=David Orsam;376267]I'm not confused at all Pierre, whereas you are so confused you have actually misinterpreted your own post.

Our discussion went like this:

You implied that you had been assessing the abilities of "various people who have been trying to find Jack the Ripper". In response, I pointed out that if you had truly wanted to assess the abilities of people who have been trying to find Jack the Ripper you would have read some books written by people trying to find Jack the Ripper. My point, in other words, was that you have not, in reality, been assessing the abilities of people who have been trying to find Jack the Ripper,
                    Neither of us mentioned anything about academic historians.

In response, you wrongly stated that I thought you should read some Ripperological books.
                    David, you are getting more and more confused. You just pointed out your own writing above:

"I pointed out that if you had truly wanted to assess the abilities of people who have been trying to find Jack the Ripper you would have read some books written by people trying to find Jack the Ripper."
                    And now you are writing:
                    But as I don't care whether you read any Ripperological books or not and would not recommend any to you, the question is incapable of being answered.
                    So it is obvious that you do care about my reading of ripperological books since you write about me not reading the books.

And still, when I ask you to mention one book written by an academic historian, you have nothing to offer.

I trust you now understand and are no longer confused.

Comment

David, you are getting more and more confused. You just pointed out your own writing above:
                      No I didn't Pierre. As usual, the confusion is all yours.

Comment

So it is obvious that you do care about my reading of ripperological books since you write about me not reading the books.
                        Only because you claimed to have been assessing the abilities of those trying to find JTR. I've already explained this to you more than once.

Comment

And still, when I ask you to mention one book written by an academic historian, you have nothing to offer.
                          You have never actually asked me this question Pierre.

Please take the time to check before replying to this because I am correct.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                            Only because you claimed to have been assessing the abilities of those trying to find JTR. I've already explained this to you more than once.
                            David, you are wasting your time, I'm not sure if he doesn't understand or doesn't want to, I suspect it's the latter more than the former.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                              David, you are wasting your time, I'm not sure if he doesn't understand or doesn't want to, I suspect it's the latter more than the former.
                              I agree entirely. It's a waste of time on a ridiculously minor point but I can only patiently attempt to explain it to him, time after time if I have to. Very dull for everyone else, and myself, I agree, but I guess I'm an optimist, hoping beyond hope that one sunny day he will read one of my posts properly and actually consider it before replying to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                                I agree entirely. It's a waste of time on a ridiculously minor point but I can only patiently attempt to explain it to him, time after time if I have to. Very dull for everyone else, and myself, I agree, but I guess I'm an optimist, hoping beyond hope that one sunny day he will read one of my posts properly and actually consider it before replying to it.
                                Nope, won't happen
                                G U T

Comment

Working...
                                X