The new Wall Writing photo discovery – a joint statement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ally View Post
    I have had a look through your posting history. About a year ago you came on the site and tried to get people interested in a 1890 GYB photo. No one knew what you were talking about and assumed you were confused. Now it appears you are saying you owned this photo the entire time, and were merely playing games??

So you come on the forums, attempting to stir people's interest in this photo, that, for all we know, does not exist? How precisely could we know it exists if it is in your private collection? Then you get mad, because no one shows any interest in a photo that for all they know does not exist and you are merely confusing with another.

Yes, you have gone about it all wrong. If you had a photo, rather than playing games, you should have just stated that you had a photo and people would have been happy to help. You have gone about this in a completely confusing bass-ackward way and are mad at the results.

If you wanted help identifying a photo or wanted people to be interested in it, you should have just state straight out what you were talking about, rather than trying this completely round-about and confusing method of getting the word out there.
    Ally,
    All I wanted was a little interest in the photo, that was all. As you know I got none. I did ask for help.
    I wont talk about it on here ever again.

Comment

• Mr. Hall,

That must have been quite a PM! Don't take it all so personally. It shouldn't be a surprise to you that Monty or the rest of us are curious to see a photograph you have. While I found your response to Monty hilarious and personally gratifying, and I admire that you won't be intimidated, the truth is that Monty and Rob Clack have a pretty good history with photographic finds in this field and we have all benefited from their work and will no doubt continue to do so. I must admit that if I had a photo in my possession that I thought was something significant, I would want to get it researched and verified, and I would probably reach out to Monty and Rob for that purpose.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by toynbee View Post
        Ally,
        All I wanted was a little interest in the photo, that was all. As you know I got none. I did ask for help.
        I wont talk about it on here ever again.
        You wanted a little interest in a photo that no one knew existed? How precisely was that going to work? You came on and said "hey has anyone heard about this photo" Clearly no one had! It was in your private collection! How were they supposed to know about it? people tried to help you and assumed that you had confused it with the Richard photo of the buildings. Since there is absolutely NO WAY that anyone could have possibly heard of this photo, they assumed you had mistaken it for another one, which is a reasonable conclusion, since you basically lied about it.

How can people be interested in a photo that YOU POSSESS when you are pretending you know nothing about it?

They presumed you were confused, and you didn't give them the information they needed in order to make them interested.

You played games. And now you are mad, because no one danced to the tune you wanted to set.

As soon as you were honest on this thread, and stated you had a photo, people showed interest.

Up until that time, no one knew what you were talking about! How could they? You were playing games.

Let all Oz be agreed;
        I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ally View Post
          You wanted a little interest in a photo that no one knew existed? How precisely was that going to work? You came on and said "hey has anyone heard about this photo" Clearly no one had! It was in your private collection! How were they supposed to know about it? people tried to help you and assumed that you had confused it with the Richard photo of the buildings. Since there is absolutely NO WAY that anyone could have possibly heard of this photo, they assumed you had mistaken it for another one, which is a reasonable conclusion, since you basically lied about it.

How can people be interested in a photo that YOU POSSESS when you are pretending you know nothing about it?

They presumed you were confused, and you didn't give them the information they needed in order to make them interested.

You played games. And now you are mad, because no one danced to the tune you wanted to set.

As soon as you were honest on this thread, and stated you had a photo, people showed interest.

Up until that time, no one knew what you were talking about! How could they? You were playing games.
          Ally,

Some people did know about it on here.

The photo I originally asked about was the one mentioned on a website 1890 GYB. Not mine.

Anyway it doesn't matter, its over...

Comment

• Toynbee

I do believe you could've handled the situation better, but you've acknowledged that.

I think it's important for the community that the photo (or at least information about it) is shared, so we can understand what it means for the field.

Comment

• Bye now and do come back when you've grown up a bit and can interact like an adult.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

• Originally posted by DGB View Post
                Toynbee

I do believe you could've handled the situation better, but you've acknowledged that.

I think it's important for the community that the photo (or at least information about it) is shared, so we can understand what it means for the field.
                No he didn't. Go back and read his post. He deleted the part where he admits his wrongdoing.

Dont' worry about it. The people who lack pride will be lining up to play his game, which is exactly what he wants, and eventually he'll publish it when he's gotten enough ego stroking to make it worth his while. It's not going to be on here because we didn't lick his boots sufficiently, but there are magazines and other places.

If he even has a photo. He enjoys the game playing and he isn't going to show it till he gets enough attention out of it.
                Last edited by Ally; 05-17-2012, 02:12 PM.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

• Originally posted by DGB View Post
                  Toynbee

Ditto Dave

best wishes

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                  Accountability? ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                    Mr. Hall,

That must have been quite a PM! Don't take it all so personally. It shouldn't be a surprise to you that Monty or the rest of us are curious to see a photograph you have. While I found your response to Monty hilarious and personally gratifying, and I admire that you won't be intimidated, the truth is that Monty and Rob Clack have a pretty good history with photographic finds in this field and we have all benefited from their work and will no doubt continue to do so. I must admit that if I had a photo in my possession that I thought was something significant, I would want to get it researched and verified, and I would probably reach out to Monty and Rob for that purpose.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                    Gotta get your kicks anyway you can Tom

Monty
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Hi Monty. You got that right. Hopefully you learned something from that. But I meant what I said regarding photos. That's definitely your and Rob's forte.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Oh yes Tom,

I learnt James likes to expose private messages and you get a kick from that.

Other than that the status remains and we carry on.

I wish James all the best with his find, if indeed that is what it is. It will certainly give the talkers such as yourself something to chat about.

In the meantime, I've doing stuff to do.

Monty
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post

For a minute there I thought you wrote 'expose private massages' and then realized it was James you were talking about and not John (Travolta).

Mike
                          huh?

Comment

• Things that make you go Hmmmm...

Originally posted by Monty

Other than that the status remains and we carry on.

I wish James all the best with his find, if indeed that is what it is. It will certainly give the talkers such as yourself something to chat about.
                            LOL. So now I've been cast down with the pub talk gadflies, is that it? I'm just a hanger-on? A couple of days ago you threaten to 'tell teacher' on me, and for no good reason, and now - after I sing your praises and try to repair the damage - you completely marginalize my contributions to and place in the field. You've been brainwashed, my friend. This is not the same Monty from years ago. And Ally's apparently one of the 'much respected people' you showed the photo to. I'm sure she had much insight to offer, given her Ripperological credentials. She's certainly quick to jump to your defense. Hmmm.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                              And Ally's apparently one of the 'much respected people' you showed the photo to.
                              I am?

I'm sure she had much insight to offer, given her Ripperological credentials. She's certainly quick to jump to your defense. Hmmm.
                              Oh that's just because he's jockeying for position to be my next basement slave. Only I have the right to punish my gimps.

Actually, I jump to the defense of those who deserve it and who are in the right. Something I realize you would have no experience with, seeing as how you've never once found yourself in that position.

As evidenced by you complaining about Monty attacking you without cause and yet you turn right around and drag someone else, me, into it.

Quite a man you are.
                              Last edited by Ally; 05-17-2012, 07:18 PM.

Let all Oz be agreed;

Comment

• I was just jealous of the attention he's been getting from you and wanted some myself. Not able to get positive attention, I turned to negative as my only recourse. And it worked!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                                X