The letters are fake !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The letters are fake !

I think that the letters that many believe are written by the Whitechapel killer are fake , made by reporters and people who wrote them for "fun" . And even the text written on the wall after the murder of Eddowes may not be written by the murderer , I think it was just ordinary scribble . But , why did "Jack" leave a bit of bloody clothing just outside of the alley ? That is an indication that it was written by him ...... And from here on I will never call the murderer "Jack the Ripper" , because it was also an idea made by a newspaper reporter . The Whitechapel killer will do better .
    Last edited by JG76; 02-01-2012, 11:24 PM.

Not much to argue with there. Welcome to the boards, JG.

Comment

I thought they were all genuine.

Comment

Don't tease the newcomers, David.

Comment

Which are the letters "that many believe" were written by the killer?
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Welcome to Casebook, JG76.

Most of the things you touched are controversial; have been for years and probably will continue to be after our names are long forgotten. Just keep seeking as much information as you can; rely on as many primary sources you can collect; broaden your interest into other aspects that surround these events and be as objective as is humanly possible when drawing conclusions.

Some may tell you to be open minded. That is certainly applicable to a degree, but never be so open minded that your brains fall out.

Hope that you enjoy participating here.

I'm curious about your choice of JG76. Does it have anything to do with Jagdgeschwader 76 from WWII?
            Last edited by Hunter; 02-02-2012, 04:41 AM.
            Best Wishes,
            Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
              Don't tease the newcomers, David.
              Aaargh, aaarff, ok, you're right. I'm sorry. Just kidding but that was bad.

Comment

Difficult To Avoid Controversy Here

Originally posted by JG76 View Post
                I think that the letters that many believe are written by the Whitechapel killer are fake , made by reporters and people who wrote them for "fun" . And even the text written on the wall after the murder of Eddowes may not be written by the murderer , I think it was just ordinary scribble . But , why did "Jack" leave a bit of bloody clothing just outside of the alley ? That is an indication that it was written by him ...... And from here on I will never call the murderer "Jack the Ripper" , because it was also an idea made by a newspaper reporter . The Whitechapel killer will do better .
                Welcome JG

Even "The Whitechapel Killer", as a name, will attract controversy because some,at least, will argue that there was more than one. When examples like the Pinchin St torso are included, it's a virtual certainty.
                I agree that the letters (most of them certainly - & there were hundreds - all of them probably) were hoaxes.

Regards, Bridewell
                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by JG76 View Post
                  I think that the letters that many believe are written by the Whitechapel killer are fake .
                  Hi JG, the vast majority here doesn't believe they are genuine.

Comment

There's certainly no way that every Ripper letter really came from the killer. But surely the one most likely to be genuine is the "From Hell" letter which came with a piece of human kidney which may or may not have come from Catherine Eddowes. If it was not, then as many have suggested it may have come from some medical student with access to human organs and a dark sense of humor. But just look at it for a moment. That maniacal tone, the sloppy handwriting and bad overall diction, like it was written by an animal, a slovenly street person with only a modicum of education. Wouldn't the hypothetical medical student be more likely to copycat the style of the much more readable "Dear Boss" letter? With "From Hell," somebody did a very good job of coming across as an angry as hell low class village idiot who was thrilled with what he'd just gotten away with. And somehow, he had access to a human kidney. Hmmm...

Comment

scare

Hello Kensei. The features you pick out could also be used to scare someone it seems.

And now, apply cui bono for a fresh possibility.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Jack was commonly used to describe a stranger, someone Unknown. Yes, most of the letters are fake, the From Hell letter sent to Lusk may or may not be from the killer, as for the kidney part that came with it, unsure if it belongs to Eddowes, but as i understand it, if memory serves alright for me, it came from a female around Eddowes age group and she was suffering it seems from what is known as ' Bright's disease '.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelley View Post
                          Jack was commonly used to describe a stranger, someone Unknown. Yes, most of the letters are fake, the From Hell letter sent to Lusk may or may not be from the killer, as for the kidney part that came with it, unsure if it belongs to Eddowes, but as i understand it, if memory serves alright for me, it came from a female around Eddowes age group and she was suffering it seems from what is known as ' Bright's disease '.
                          Hi Shelley, that was reported as being the finding of Dr. Openshaw who examined the kidney, but he later denied saying it. However I can't help but wonder if he retracted the statement out of worry when he received a Ripper letter himself shortly thereafter.

Comment

Working...
                          X