Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which ones are real?

POLL

since so much was lost here on casebook, which ones do you think were real and which ones weren't?

In the poll I also added 5 or more, for the graffiti etc.
    64.29%
    21.43%
    0.00%
    7.14%
    5 or more
    7.14%

The poll is expired.

"Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

I'd suspect 0.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

DOH!!!!! I didn't put a 0 in.. hehehhehehe my bad

When one has one's hand full of truth it is not always wise to open it. ~French Proverb

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed, in the second it is opposed, in the third it is regarded as self-evident. ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Where's the button for Zero?

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Zero Zero Zero.

Zero.

PHILIP
          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Seriously guys I forgot the 0 and now I can't put it in, but that's okay - posting that you think it's 0 is cool too. I know this thread was up before the crash I just wanted to put it up again. Duuhh I can't believe I forgot 0

: hides face : hehehhehee

Comment

Multiple Ditto on the zero legits!
              "I'm into, uh, well, murders and executions, mostly. " -Patrick Bateman American Psycho (2000)

Comment

I voted one, but on the understanding that the Goulston Graffiti is included as an option for the purposes of this poll. I am assuming it is.

Can we please have a poll for the best user name a message board member has come up with and can the guy above get my vote?

Comment

If I was forced to vote for one it would be for "From Hell". It's also certainly a possibility that one of the multitude of letters received could have actually been from the Ripper but just went unnoticed buried in the pile.
                  This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi all,

The resident heretic says maybe 1 was real. I cant help but think that an elaborate hoax...one that must have originated from within the funerary or medical community based on its contents...accompanying a note that serves only to speak privately with a single named individual...is about as benign a message as possible. A shared communion of killer and hunter....no "fools", no "funny little games", no " You'll never catch me"....just a shared food offering, and a suggestion that the killer might actually give Lusk "the knife" after he's done.

"Catch me when you can"......not, "You can't catch me".

I think From Hell went a fairly long way to make a point...but the point is'nt obvious, and therefore we either have a sophisticated hoaxer who is hiding a message within the text...or an authentic letter.

My best regards all.

Comment

Oh, definitely the 17th Sept letter.

Ha! Not really! I go for a solid zero.
                      Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

Well I too might be in the minority I agree that if any of them were real it would be the From Hell letter. I just look at the handwriting and have trouble believing they are all from the same person.

Comment

Hi again,

It would be interesting to know what people think the hoax punch line was with From Hell, because it seems to me that to produce a human kidney section, matching in general, the one taken from Kate...at the same approximate "age", taken from a human over two weeks earlier...and to include with it a note that has the killer offering this only to Lusk, the "hoaxer" either was humorless, or a nerd and humourless. I mean Dear Boss has press appeal, as does Saucy Jack..the snappy penmanship, the cheery ghoul phrases, a literate killer. From Hell is aptly named I think, and I think perhaps only a killer, or a prisoner would know what that really feels like.. while still alive that is.

Dear Boss and Saucy Jack have the distinction of being the only two that were reproduced and printed in poster format and circulated, but I dont see that as their official line on "Jacks handwriting" ...just good old fashioned Police work. And these are the only two where authors in the press business are suggested. Along with a later missive. Fabulous motive there.

Whats the motive for sending a human sample? Shock? Then why to only Lusk? Fun? Not really an "up" note with it.., To suggest the author is in fact whom he claims to be? That he means this..its real. Thats a motive...and not really for a hoaxer.

And no silly name like Jack the Ripper....Springheel Jack, Bootstrap Bill, or whatever.....I think this guy would have chosen something more like Phoenix, or perhaps Pilgrim....no offense to the member here of the same name, or The Reaper. Someone with the power to change the world around him with what he knows...at least in his own opinion. Someone who is above mere mortals, seeking greater goals...

Uteri produce life. Hmm? Connection? I think this guy played God...so he might have seen himself as one.

My best regards all.

Comment

Hi all!

My suspicion here is that there will be numerous posters saying what has already been said on the poll: Probably none of the letters were genuine. And then there will be a lot of throat-clearing and humming, followed by a "but if any of them was actually the real stuff, there is something about that Lusk letter..."

Myself, I would say that the weighed evidence coming from Brown and Openshaw seem to point firmly away from the Lusk letter being genuine. And therefore I will place my bet on the non-existing Zero button - and then add that there is something about that Lusk letter...

Annoying, isnīt it?

The best, all,
                            Fisherman

Comment

Hi all,

I would think that most of us would agree that the letters which are really intended only to mock and boast never contained information that could be used to validate the authenticity of the author, pre-crime, or with strictly police held information about the crime scene.

The Lusk note is sent with a piece of anatomy that in general matches the organ likely taken from a woman over two weeks prior. There is effort taken there to validate the penmans ID. I cant recall another letter, other than some of the predictive ones, that is so earnestly seeking validation that the killer is willing to share a prize with his pursuer...and just one pursuer, not the Metro Police, Scotland Yard or Central Press.

Its intimate...and therefore for me, way creepier than any other....its the coolheaded killer in No Country for Old men... Victorian Style.

My best regards all.

Comment

Working...
                              X