Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Letter for auction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Letter for auction

    Hi all,
    Sorry but I don't have much info on this, but I recently heard that a letter sent to the police at the time of the murders is up for auction.
    Does anyone know more.
    Many thanks in advance.

  • #2
    Details on the auction-house website here:

    http://www.grandauctions.co.uk/blog/...ipper-postcard

    and here:

    http://www.grandauctions.co.uk/aucti...ripper-39-card

    Estimate £600-£900. Get your piggy-bank ready!
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

    "Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

    Comment


    • #3
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43955441

      Fetched £22,000 in the end. Someone REALLY wanted that postcard...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by MsWeatherwax View Post
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43955441

        Fetched £22,000 in the end. Someone REALLY wanted that postcard...
        Unfortunately, a narrow strip of paper along the right edge of the front of the card has been carefully and deliberately trimmed and lifted away from the card itself. The significance of this is that the missing strip bisects the cancellation stamp so that the mailing date is no longer visible. The card itself is rare enough to be worth some money, but the penciled-in date cannot be trusted, and the deliberate removal of the official mailing date suggests an attempt to inflate the card's value.

        Dr. John
        "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
        Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MsWeatherwax View Post
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43955441

          Fetched £22,000 in the end. Someone REALLY wanted that postcard...
          I imagine we’ll soon be told the postcard has an undoubtable likeness to something Sickert might write...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Dr. John Watson View Post
            Unfortunately, a narrow strip of paper along the right edge of the front of the card has been carefully and deliberately trimmed and lifted away from the card itself. The significance of this is that the missing strip bisects the cancellation stamp so that the mailing date is no longer visible. The card itself is rare enough to be worth some money, but the penciled-in date cannot be trusted, and the deliberate removal of the official mailing date suggests an attempt to inflate the card's value.

            Dr. John
            Now you mention it, that's extremely obvious.

            Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
            I imagine we’ll soon be told the postcard has an undoubtable likeness to something Sickert might write...
            Yeah, that's what my money was on. Not £22,000 of my money, but still...I wouldn't be surprised.

            Comment


            • #7
              Why? Thousands of letters and cards were sent to the police. Perhaps Prince Eddy sent it or Dr Barnardo or Lewis Carroll or any other stupid suspect.

              miss marple

              Comment


              • #8
                This is the postcard shown on Legend Hunter: Jack the Ripper Revealed. It is said there that the handwriting matches that of a known Tumblety letter. Thoughts?

                Re the program, the episodes start airing on Travel Channel thisnth, but I've seen several via On Demand. I recommend them. The search for the Irish Crown Jewels was especially interesting.
                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yes its the same one.

                  Screenshot:



                  JM

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Elaine Quigley, the Graphologist in the program, is the same person Andrew Cook used to definitely state that the 'Dear Boss' letter was written by Frederick Best (to the exclusion of anybody else). Just like Mr. Cook wanted.

                    She also examined the 'Openshaw Letter' and her opinions were used to support Montague Druitt's suspect candidacy in Pamela Ball's book Jack the Ripper: A Psychic Investigation. Just as Ms. Ball wanted. *

                    *Patricia Cornwell used DNA to exclude Druitt from having written the Openshaw Letter.

                    JM
                    Last edited by jmenges; 01-07-2019, 06:10 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                      This is the postcard shown on Legend Hunter: Jack the Ripper Revealed. It is said there that the handwriting matches that of a known Tumblety letter. Thoughts?

                      Re the program, the episodes start airing on Travel Channel thisnth, but I've seen several via On Demand. I recommend them. The search for the Irish Crown Jewels was especially interesting.
                      Hello Pat,

                      I just watched this episode today. The letter did seem to match Tumblety's handwriting. Ultimately though, even if that could be determined with 100% metaphysical certainty, it would only show that Tumblety wrote the letter not that he was in fact Jack the Ripper.

                      I find the host of the show to be kind of a lightweight and rather annoying. He really let on as though he had solved the case while conveniently omitting how Tumblety does not match up with witness descriptions and how homosexual men usually kill other men not women.

                      c.d.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X