Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Homewood Crawford. Freemason?

Hi,

1.Does anyone know if Henry Homewood Crawrord was a freemason?

2. If so, can anyone supply any info re this eg Lodges etc?

I've recently found a link between one of my POIs and HHC and am just trying to develop it a bit...

Thanks and regards,

Martyn

Hi Martyn

If I'm understanding the records correctly, he was in the Alliance Lodge in 1888 but resigned the following year. Later he seems to have joined a different lodge.

Comment

Hi Robert. Thanks for that. I think Alliance Lodge rings a bell with me regarding someone else I've looked at, so I'll
      have to check that out.

I've used Ancestry UK to research Freemasonry links but I don't currently have a sub, which is why I thought
      I'll ask on here.

Cheers,

Martyn
      Last edited by mpriestnall; 08-16-2019, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Hi Martyn

Well, just mention here or PM me if you want someone looked up.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
            Hi Martyn

Well, just mention here or PM me if you want someone looked up.
            Hi Robert, I've PM'd you a request.

Martyn

Comment

Done, Martyn.

Comment

Hi,

I have a fairly primitive understanding of the workings of the Victorian coroner's court and wonder if anyone can help me with understanding Eddowes inquest in terms of HHC role in it.

The records seem to suggest, to me at least, that HHC played a greater part in Eddowe's inquest than other police did in the inquests of Nichols, Chapman and Stride.

Is this because the records are missing, incomplete, related press reports didn't fully include details etc. Did
                HHC really have more an active role in the inquest proceedings or perhaps not?

Other questions:
                Why did HHC represent the City police and not somebody else? What might be the selection criteria...

Is there any record of HHC representing the City police at any earlier inquests?

Any thoughts or observations about HHC's Eddowes inquest appearance?

(Robert kindly provided me with some FM info at my request. Listed within were 2 people who
                I've come across previously and I'm a little curious about HHC and I'm "just trying to see what I can see...").

Any help appreciated,

Martyn

Comment

Another question occured to me:

Did HHC represent the City Police at any subsequent inquests or was the Eddowes inquest a one-off or the last one anyway?

Matyn

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
                    Hi,

1.Does anyone know if Henry Homewood Crawrord was a freemason?

2. If so, can anyone supply any info re this eg Lodges etc?

I've recently found a link between one of my POIs and HHC and am just trying to develop it a bit...

Thanks and regards,

Martyn
                    "If not quite in the exalted league of Sir Charles Warren, Bro Henry Homewood Crawford was nevertheless well situated in the Masonic hierarchy. Founder of the Guildhall Lodge (3116), Past Master in Grand Master's Lodge (No.1) and elevated into the Royal Arch in the same Chapter, in the spring of 1889 Crawford was appointed Grand Steward of the United Grand Lodge, and found himself among some distinguished company (elected as Grand Steward on the same day Michael Maybrick was elected Grand Organist). "- Bruce Robinson They All Love Jack pgs 203-204.

JM

Comment

JM, thanks for that. I have the book so I'll be checking it out.

Cheers,

Martyn

Comment

Grand Masters Lodge No. 1

1878 Brown, Frederick Gordon
                        1879 Crawford, Henry Homewood

Comment

Homewood Crawford - Wikipedia
                          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Thanks, DJA. I'll put some census data up on HHC soon.

I also noticed a Brickwood (couldn't make out the first name), occupation "Brewer", in the Grand Masters Lodge No. 1. A relative of Edwin Brickwood of 9 KBW?. I found the FG Brown connection interesting.

Martyn
                            Last edited by mpriestnall; 09-23-2019, 11:17 AM.

Comment

More Brickwoods than you can shake a pint of beer at :

Family history of the Brickwood family, and of the Brickwood brewery.

Comment

Working...
                              X