Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any info on Swanson's early employer James Meikle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info on Swanson's early employer James Meikle?

Does anyone have any extra info on Swanson's early employer James Meikle?

Maybe not of great import but I'm just asking out of curiosity.

My source of the J.M. info:

Jack the Ripper: The Facts by Paul Begg

"He worked as a clerk for several months for James Meikle of 8 Catherine Court,
    Seething Lane, who had known him since 1862..."

Martyn

Thanks in advance!

Comment

SWANSON: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF A VICTORIAN DETECTIVE by Adam Wood Donald Sutherland Swanson was born in the remote far north of Scotland, leaving for London in 1867 at the age of 19 and initially working as a City clerk. The following year he joined the Metropolitan Police and began patrolling the streets of the capita

A limited edition abridged version of Adam Wood’s autobiography on Swanson is out.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	42DFBF21-CD0A-4467-838C-DF34B6FA4F76.jpeg
Views:	733
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	717892 Catherine Court, the steps to the extreme left led to No8

Monty
        Monty

Comment

Nos 7 (r) and 8 (l) Catherine Court:

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Gary for posting the pic.

Monty,

Thanks for the pic.

Good news that Adam's Swanson book is out!

From that link you posted, seems Donald Swanson may have only have been with J.M. for a short time, sometime between 1867-1868?

I'm checking my own files right now, and will post anything on J.M I may find tomorrow.

Martyn

Comment

Although the buildings were apparently quite handsome, they seem to have been demolished just over 100 years ago.

Comment

Yep. The court no longer exists.

I believe eve Meikles business went into administration, or was in the car of finishing when Swanson applied for the Met.

This was during a time when there was a mass recruitment drive in the Met force following the Clerkenwell outrage.

Monty
                Monty

Comment

I would like to confirm Meikle's first name: James or "Jno"?

I've seen the later in a reference to MEPO 3/2890 (which I dont' have a copy of).

Thanks,

Martyn
                  Last edited by mpriestnall; 08-03-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    Although the buildings were apparently quite handsome, they seem to have been demolished just over 100 years ago.
                    The court was surveyed and sketched for posterity shortly before demolition.

This plan of the north side, nos 6 - 10, (r to l) is from 1912.
                    Attached Files

Comment

From An Historial Guide To London by G.R. Stirling Taylor, 1911

"A few steps bring us to Great Tower Hill {q.v.), off which is Catherine Court, an interesting group of houses of 1725,
                      and Savage Gardens,with houses of the end of the same century,and the Trinity House"

Martyn

Comment

Gary, Robert, what do you think?

Matching points: James Meikle, close to Catherine Court (see post #11) and date good too?

The London Gazette, September 25, 1866

Notice is hereby given that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, James Meikle and John Wyatt Meacher, lately carrying on business as Wholesale Tea Dealers and Agents, and otherwise, at No. 4, Savage-gardens, Tower-hill, in the city of London, under the name, style, or firm of Meikle, Meacher, and Company, has been this day dissolved by mutual consent. The business will in future be carried on under the firm of Meikle and Company; and all debts owing by or to the said late copartnership firm will be paid or received by the said James Meikle.—Dated this 20th day of September,
                        1866. James Meikle. John Wyatt Meacher.

Martyn

Comment

Deleted poor image.
                          Last edited by MrBarnett; 08-03-2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
                            Gary, Robert, what do you think?

Matching points: James Meikle, close to Catherine Court (see post #11) and date good too?

The London Gazette, September 25, 1866

Notice is hereby given that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, James Meikle and John Wyatt Meacher, lately carrying on business as Wholesale Tea Dealers and Agents, and otherwise, at No. 4, Savage-gardens, Tower-hill, in the city of London, under the name, style, or firm of Meikle, Meacher, and Company, has been this day dissolved by mutual consent. The business will in future be carried on under the firm of Meikle and Company; and all debts owing by or to the said late copartnership firm will be paid or received by the said James Meikle.—Dated this 20th day of September,
                            1866. James Meikle. John Wyatt Meacher.

Martyn
                            Perhaps 8, Catherine Court was the admin office for the business. As you say, it’s close to Savage Gardens which was a bit more warehousey.

Comment

Thanks Gary, good points

Comment

Working...
                              X