Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are pleased to report that another speaker at our event at the Maryland Historical Society on April 9-10 will be Baltimore novelist Stephen Hunter, author of the fictional I, Ripper speaking on "Finding a Voice for the Ripper."

Stephen Hunter worked for newspapers for 38 years, the last 28 years as film critic of the Baltimore Sun and the Washington Post. He won the Pulitzer Prize from Criticism in 2003. He has also published 21 novels, the last of which was I, Ripper. He is also the author of the essay "Jack Be Nimble, Jack Be Quick," published by Ripperologist.

Mr. Hunter has clarified that in his talk, "I'll try and make it something more than 'How I Wrote That Book,' which even bores me."

Mr. Hunter will be joined in a panel on Ripper fiction to be held during the conference by his researcher, Lenne Miller. Mr. Miller received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature from Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois. He served in Vietnam 1969-70 in the U.S. Army. He has 35 years of experience as a director of peer reviewed journals for scholarly medical societies. Most recently, he conducted all of the research for the historical novel, I, Ripper, by best-selling author Stephen Hunter.

Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

I am getting more and more excited about this convention by the week.....any word on the hotel or price yet?

Steadmund Brand
      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Wish I could be there.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

GUT....my brother across the ocean....I wish you could be there as well...but fear not...you will get so many pictures and updates you will feel like you were there.....you may even receive a gift from the convention from a Yankee who shall remain nameless

Steadmund Brand
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
            GUT....my brother across the ocean....I wish you could be there as well...but fear not...you will get so many pictures and updates you will feel like you were there.....you may even receive a gift from the convention from a Yankee who shall remain nameless

Steadmund Brand
            Flying is the problem, if only I could get (and afford) a cruise both ways.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hello all.. Just wondering if there are any updates or any more info on the big show.... Getting to be that time that I have to put in for vacation time at work

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post

We are pleased to report that our keynote speaker opening the event at the Maryland Historical Society at 9:00 am on Saturday morning, April 9 will be eminent Ripperologist Martin Fido speaking on "Ripperology and Anti-Semitism."

I asked Martin what he meant, whether he meant anti-Semitism at the time of the crimes in the autumn of 1888 or later, and this is his reply --

"I really mean the Ripper-linked anti-Semitism that has occurred since Kosminski and Cohen were publicized as serious suspects. (This has led to some vandalism in East End Jewish cemeteries and the withdrawal of at least one valuable researcher from Ripperology among other things). But the lead-in would certainly include explaining why the Jewish connection was actually important in the case from the outset."

Full details of our event to be announced shortly.

Best regards

Chris
                We'll be keep an eye on this lecture.... If we sell the house in the New Year we will be free to attend and this lecture would be our goal...Jef & Cat xx

Comment

Happy New Year everyone!!!

wondering if there are any updates, info etc for the conference, also curious, who plans on attending?

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Details?

Are there any details about this upcoming conference in Baltimore in April? I can't find anything online and would really like to attend!

Comment

I have the same question. I'd like to make hotel reservations as soon as possible!

Comment

Yep...same boat here, Hotel, plane and possibly Orioles tickets....plus getting time off work.... Plus conference tickets....

And we need to figure out a way to get GUT outta OZ and over to the States....might help if he knew just how close Baltimore is to Washington DC and the Smithsonian museums' ��

Steadmund Brand

Comment

My finances won't allow me to attend, but I'd like to find out if there are supporting memberships, or a chance to at least get a tee.
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

Hi all,

Let me say first off that I'm not one of the organizers of the US Conference and, like you, have been sitting on the sidelines waiting for a website and a real place where delegates can book their spots. I was hesitant to book my own flight out to Baltimore, and I'm one of the emcees. Anyway, the official website appears to be coming very soon and so, despite the massive delay, rest assured that the conference is going forward and if it's not too late for everyone to request time off work, look into travel and hotel accommodations, please do so.

I know some of you have contacted me privately to ask questions and I'm always available to answer them- within reason. Since, as I said, I'm not on the organizing team, only a very interested party to the event.

I hope to be able to see you all in Baltimore,

All the best,

JM

Comment

Facebook page for the 2016 Jack the Ripper Conference in Baltimore, MD

RipperCon, Newark, Delaware. 1,311 likes. Study of Jack the Ripper, Whitechapel Murders, True Crime, Victorian History, Sherlock Holmes, Police, Detectives, Poverty, London, British Society

JM

Comment

My apologies to my colleagues who have been looking for information about RipperCon but we have been attending to details to ensure a great conference. Yes, it is going to happen in Baltimore. The dates are April 8 to 10 and our keynote speaker will be the great Martin Fido. We will be staying at the Mount Vernon Hotel, a historic building with lovely rooms and a gym. The meetings will occur at the Maryland Historical Society, which is a well-appointed and highly interesting location.

We will convene on Friday afternoon and will kick off the conference with a talk by Mr. Fido. We have a great reception planned in the hotel that evening and will have a full day of interesting talks on Saturday. On Sunday, we will offer a bus tour of key Baltimore sites, including Edgar Allen Poe's home and gravesite for a small additional charge.
                                As we are understandably proud of Baltimore's own Mr. Poe, we will offer a performance by him and a mysterious woman. Co-organizer Chris George and I previewed the performance this week and can attest you will find it compelling.
                                We are well under way and are eager to start the enrollment process. The enrollment fee to RipperCon is $250 payable by Paypal to editorctrip@yahoo.com or by check made out to Christopher T. George, 3800 Canterbury Road, Apt 3E, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA. US Funds only please.
                                Please keep checking this space and follow us on Facebook. We hope to have the website up very soon.
                                We are looking forward to welcoming you to Baltimore.
                                Cheers!
                                Janis Wilson

Comment

Working...
                                X