This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by c.d. View Post
    Hope everyone has a good time and takes plenty of pictures. Let me know if any fights break out. I'll be there in spirit.

c.d.
    Thanks for the best wishes, c.d.!

Spaces are still available for what promises to be an exciting must-see weekend in Baltimore, April 8-10! Don't miss our Jack the Ripper - True Crime event! Not only will we be discussing the Whitechapel murders with Martin Fido and other experts but Janis and I will chat about Sherlock Holmes, Jack the Ripper, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's theories about the case. Michael Hawley promises new revelations about Dr. Tumblety who actually lived in Baltimore as we will see on the Sunday bus tour -- his lodging house is still standing! I will talk about the mysterious death of Edgar Allan Poe in 1849, and folks on the bus tour will be going to the Poe House on Amity Street and to his grave, along with having the privilege of seeing "Nutshell Studies of Unexpected Death" at the Maryland Coroners Office. Mikita Brottman will talk about the Yorkshire Ripper and Robert Anderson will discuss the ongoing unsolved Long Island Serial Killer case. Dr. Charles Tumosa of the University of Baltimore's Forensic Studies program will describe using forensic techniques to solve old cases.

Mikita Brottman will discuss "The Yorkshire Ripper" on Friday afternoon, April 8. Her originally proposed topic "Why We Love True Crime" is now going to be part of a panel on "Fictional Crime versus True Crime" on Saturday afternoon. Dr. Brottman is a psychoanalyst and​ professor in the Department of Humanistic​ Studies at the Maryland Institute ​College ​of Art. She is the author of Meat is Murder! (1998), a study of cannibalism in myth, crime, and film; and the true crime collection Thirteen Girls (2013). Her next book, The Maximum Security Book Club: Reading Literature in a Men’s Prison, will be published in June 2016 by HarperCollins (for more information, see http://www.mikitabrottman.com).

Our website gives the complete rundown of speakers and times:

Registration cost and bus tour price are given on the main page --

As noted, our base hotel for RipperCon is the Mount Vernon Baltimore Hotel, a block east of the Maryland Historical Society where the talks will take place 1 pm to 6 pm on Friday, April 8 and 9 am to 5 pm on Saturday, April 9, with the bus tour taking place on the morning of Sunday, April 10 as the last event of the weekend.

Rooms can be booked at the Mount Vernon Baltimore Hotel for the special price of $119 a night by going to Rippercon. If you have trouble booking, let me know -- email editorctrip@yahoo.com or telephone 410-243-5635. The hotel say they will open up more rooms to accommodate us as necessary. You can also directly contact the hotel sales manager, Gretchen Shaffer, telephone 410-727-7101 ext 3104. Fax 410-789-3312. Email gshaffer@jdvhotels.com.

See you in Baltimore.

Best regards

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
      Hello everyone

Robert Anderson and I appeared last night on the Talk 2 Q Radio Show podcast to discuss RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10. The podcast also features an appearance by Buffalo native Brian Young (aka Steadmund Brand)! To listen, go to alturl.com/buudf.

As announced earlier, there is a March 15 deadline to sign up for RipperCon. If you are interested in attending, do so now!

Best regards

Chris
      1 more business wake up day....then I'm flying to Baltimore!!! Rippercon here I come!!!

just as a side note...this Thursday April 7th...that Brian Young fellah will be on an all new Talk2q show, this time the live show, not a podcast ( but will also be available on his website after the fact) to talk about Boxing ( his real field of expertise)...about the Pacquiao vs. Bradley fight, and Pac-man's legacy in boxing, where he ranks as an "all-time" great.....should be a good show...

Steadmund Brand
      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
        1 more business wake up day....then I'm flying to Baltimore!!! Rippercon here I come!!!

just as a side note...this Thursday April 7th...that Brian Young fellah will be on an all new Talk2q show, this time the live show, not a podcast ( but will also be available on his website after the fact) to talk about Boxing ( his real field of expertise)...about the Pacquiao vs. Bradley fight, and Pac-man's legacy in boxing, where he ranks as an "all-time" great.....should be a good show...

Steadmund Brand
        Thanks Steady I will try and gve a lsted. Enjoy the conference mate.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I'll send you a link to the show once it's up my friend

Steadmund "smooth voice" Brand
          "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Looking forward to welcoming Martin Fido to Baltimore tomorrow night and all attendees for RipperCon, our Jack the Ripper - True Crime convention taking place at the Maryland Historical Society.

If you have not yet caught it, RipperCon M/C and Long Island Serial Killer (LISK) speaker Robert Anderson and I recorded a podcast interview with Quincy of the Talk 2 Q Radio Show to chat about RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10. The podcast also features an appearance by Buffalo native Brian Young (aka Steadmund Brand). To listen, go to alturl.com/buudf.

Space is still available for RipperCon. But time is getting short! If you are interested in attending, sign up now! Go to our website at RipperCon.com for complete information.
            Christopher T. George

Comment

Steadmund Brand
              Update:

the Talk2Q internet radio show that Brian will be on is actually tonight, 04-06-2016 at 9pm EST.. TALK2Q.com is a way to find it

Thanks

Steadmund Brand

Comment

Update:

the Talk2Q internet radio show that Brian will be on is actually tonight, 04-06-2016 at 9pm EST.. TALK2Q.com is a way to find it

Thanks

Steadmund Brand
                Thanks for the clarification, Steadmund. Looking forward to hearing the show.

We are lining up the stops for the Sunday bus tour of downtown Baltimore and hope that you can take some part in it before you need to head off to get your flight home. We will be hitting Tumblety's lodging house on N. Liberty Street as well as the Baltimore Civil War Museum at President Street Station, as well as Poe and John Wilkes Booth-associated sites, before going to Poe's grave and house on Amity Street, and then "Nutshell Studies of Unexpected Death" at the Maryland Coroners' Office. Hopefully you could take in most of those sites. You might miss the last hour of the tour, given that we may have to drop you off to get a cab, but on the other hand you will I believe be able to attend Bruce Goldfarb's talk about "Nutshell Studies" at 4:00 pm Friday at the Historical Society.

Thanks

Chris
                Christopher T. George

Comment

• RipperCon speaker Mikita Brottman interviewed in Baltimore Style magazine: http://baltimorestyle.com/19713/you-dont-know-jack/

Pictured: cover of 1962 edition of Donald McCormick's controversial The Identity of Jack the Ripper.

Space is still available for RipperCon. Go to our website at RipperCon.com for complete information. Students with valid ID will be given free admission.
                  Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 04-07-2016, 05:21 AM.
                  Christopher T. George

Comment

• I am very sorry that, due to health reasons, I will not be able to make the Baltimore conference. I am very sorry to be missing what I am sure are going to be amazing lectures and seeing some old friends and making new.

Best Wishes to Everyone!

Let all Oz be agreed;
                    I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ally View Post
                      I am very sorry that, due to health reasons, I will not be able to make the Baltimore conference. I am very sorry to be missing what I am sure are going to be amazing lectures and seeing some old friends and making new.

Best Wishes to Everyone!
                      Hi Ally

Many thanks for your best wishes and also for your and Stephen's kind stalwart support of our event. We will miss you both! Indeed, it should be a great weekend and we are just sorry that you cannot be here. Get well, Ally.

Reports and photographs of RipperCon in Baltimore to follow here and elsewhere! Stay tuned!

Best regards

Chris
                      Christopher T. George

Comment

• Wish I old be there.

I hope it is a ripper of a conference.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Good luck to my fellow researchers from Team Syph who are presenting our research and theories on the Long Island Serial Killer case in Baltimore tomorrow.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by bigjon View Post
                            Good luck to my fellow researchers from Team Syph who are presenting our research and theories on the Long Island Serial Killer case in Baltimore tomorrow.
                            Hi BigJon

I live in Maryland but unfortunately cant make it to the con. Grrrrrr.....

But I am very interested in the LISK case. Is there anyway to get a transcript or a synopsis of your teams findings/theories?

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                              Hi BigJon

I live in Maryland but unfortunately cant make it to the con. Grrrrrr.....

But I am very interested in the LISK case. Is there anyway to get a transcript or a synopsis of your teams findings/theories?
                              I believe it shall be released as a podcast.

Comment

• Correct, Jon and Abby. The talks were recorded by Robert Anderson and will be put up as RipperCast podcasts by Jonathan Menges. Stay tuned.

We held talks Friday afternoon then all day Saturday with a bus tour of downtown Baltimore on Sunday for four hours starting at 9:00 am. I stayed at the Mt Vernon Hotel Saturday night so I would be in good shape to lead the bus tour Sunday morning. Attendees at the event decided to eat at an Ethiopian restaurant up the street but I didn't fancy that so I just ordered room service. I had filet mignon and a bottle of red wine.

Here are a few shots I took at the hotel from the window of my room looking out at Mt Vernon Square and the city's Washington Monument. First several shots are of the square on Saturday evening. It had been rainy and blowy during the day so the streets and sidewalks were wet. The photographs were taken between 6:30 pm and 7:30 pm as dusk closed in. Note one shot of the flag above the window then one of the illuminated monument around 7:30 pm. Then the last photo -- a shot of the monument on Sunday morning, which thankfully dawned sunny and dry which was good because I had photographs and documents that I wanted to show the folks during the tour!

Christopher T. George

Comment

Working...
                                X