2008 Conference Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Conference Speakers

Planning for the Jack the Ripper Conference in Knoxville, TN (October 10-12) is in full swing. We have plenty of events lined up and more coming together by the minute, but what you really want to know is: who's speaking? Here's what we have in store for you so far --and this is why you need to save the dates October 10-12 if you haven't yet:

Martin Fido

Noted author of The Crimes, Detection and Death of Jack the Ripper, the comprehensive Chronicles of Crime, and co-author of the classic Jack the Ripper A to Z, Martin Fido is recognized as one of the leading authorities on Jack the Ripper. Martin will be speaking on his experiences in the field of Ripperology, to which his contribution can not be overestimated.

Philip Hutchinson

Philip Hutchinson is one of the better-known Ripper tour guides in London and the co-author of The London of Jack the Ripper: Then and Now. His talk will be titled "The Whitby Collection and Beyond", centering on the collection of recently discovered photographs of the Ripper murder scenes taken by John Gordon Whitby.

Eugenia Parry

A writer and adjunct professor in the Dept. of Art and Art History at the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, Eugenia Parry also taught the histories of art and photography at Wellesley College and the University of New Mexico for twenty-five years. Her talk, "What to Do With a French Crime Album? A Writer's Response," will focus on her discovery of an album of 19th century French murder scene photographs and the resulting book: Crime Scene Stories.

Alan Sharp

Writer and researcher Alan Sharp is the author of London Correspondence: Jack the Ripper and the Irish Press and an editor of Ripper Notes magazine. He will be speaking about his current research on the Special Branch and the Whitechapel murders.

We're in the process of confirming more speakers, plus we'll have all the regular events: an auction, a raffle and some surprises. Don't forget that what many people love most about the conferences is the chance to chat with like-minded people face-to-face. If you haven't been to one, plan to attend and see us in October. We will be confirming the venue in the next few weeks and expect to start taking registrations soon.

Email ripperconference@gmail.com to be on the mailing list, and you'll be the first to be alerted when reservations are available. Also feel free to ask any questions.

Now thats a line up Kelly.

One question, do they allow Hutchinson ON to planes?

Or is he swimming?

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Be a good boy, Monty. Don't upset The Daddy.

PHILIP
      Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

Yes Saaar!

Seriously, is there any intention to record this conference ?

Monty
        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I'll be making my usual audio, I expect. Just for my own archives. I will certainly be taking my camcorder along (with fully charged battery!) to record my talk as I have a feeling Margaret (who sold me the collection) will want to see it.

There's also murmurings of the podcast coming from Knoxville as well. Should be a laugh.

PHILIP

Comment

Let me add to that illustrious list (I told you much more was on the way):

Robert J. McLaughlin

Writer, researcher and author of The First Jack the Ripper Victim Photographs, Robert J. McLaughlin will be talking about the man responsible for taking most of the mortuary photographs of the Whitechapel victims and the history of their publication, beginning in France, and rediscovery in the 1960s.

Comment

Wow Kelly-
              Good lineup!

Hey Philip-
              Do you want to take Dids on a little holiday??? (Now THERE's TRUST!)
              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                Yes Saaar!

Seriously, is there any intention to record this conference ?

Monty
                There is intention. We've got someone lined up to film the event, but some of it depends on the wishes of the individual speakers.

As far as the "murmurings" of a podcast from the conference, Jonathan has expressed interest in broadcasting from there. We have to see what the wi-fi situation will be at the hotel, but we would like to involve the podcast in some way.

Suzi: I wonder what Dids would fetch at auction?

Comment

I'm glad that Robert will be doing his Martin presentation again - I am looking forward to seeing his AV presentation that he prepared for Brighton 2005 which we couldn't see due to an equipment failure.

Yes, Suzi, I could take Diddles along but he will probably be less pro-active than in the UK. Not only does he need to behave himself but I need to vainly attempt to be taken seriously (at least until after I've done my turn). I think people will have to approach him for photo opportunities instead of him foisting his claws and paws on them first.

PHILIP

Comment

I could just kick myself for mis-typing the name of Eugenia Parry's book, which is Crime Album Stories. My apologies to Ms. Parry.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                      I could just kick myself for mis-typing the name of Eugenia Parry's book, which is Crime Album Stories. My apologies to Ms. Parry.
                      You're forgiven, Kelly. I expect you were distracted listening to a Jimi Hendrix scene or something at the time.

PHILIP

Comment

This is a great lineup. I really hope that I can make it. Are the conference goers pretty much the same people each year or is it open to new faces?

Comment

There's always a nice mix of regulars and newcomers, Barnaby. I was a newbie to the conference myself in 2004, and found a whole table of nervous-looking first-timers to sit with. We were gabbing within minutes and were fast friends by the end of the weekend. I met a lot of other people that weekend that I'm looking forward to seeing this October.

It's a fun,sociable group, and you'll definitely be welcomed.

Comment

So how many people usually attend? I am encouraged by the "table of newcomers" description.

Comment

The average is usually 75-100. And don't think the newcomers are confined to a table; they're all over the place.

I've had emails from lots of newcomers who want to attend, but believe me, there are plenty of return attendees who are gregarious and enjoy meeting new people.

Shoot me an email at ripperconference@gmail.com and I can add you to the update list if you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X