• Show
Clear All

• Jack the Ripper Conference 2011 Belfast

Click image for larger version

Name:	Casebook Graphic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	670650

Colin Cobb posted the following on the Belfast Conference Facebook group recently, and he's OK'd me to re-post it here:

The Official Date for the Jack the Ripper Conference in Belfast is Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th August 2011
    This is a Bank Holiday weekend so some may take advantage of staying a 3rd night which would be only £29 for the room for the 3rd night.
    All details and bookings will be on the website shortly.

Many thanks
    Colin Cobb

In addition, here are some other details that Colin has posted on Facebook:

Adam and I are working on the website for registration, but here are some costings figures for the trip which i hope you find quite reasonable.

We will all be booked into the brand new premier hotel at Titanic Quarter.
    It is only one mile from the venue and the one mile is actually our Titanic Walking Tour Route. As there is only one main road in and out of the shipyard.

The Hotel deal that we have done as follows:

£60 per room per night (based on 2 sharing)
    this includes all you can eat breakfast for two people.

£55 per room per night single suppliment
    includes all you can eat breakfast.

Stay a 3rd night is just £29 per room (no breakfast included)

If your on a budjet its you can opt for £50 per night room only no breakfast.

Conference Cost £70 per person.

This includes Saturday & Sunday Lunch and all Snacks, unlimited teas, coffee & Juice, scones, traybakes etc.

Full Conference usage at Seminar One.

Includes Saturday evening meal at the pump-House plus live irish band and Irish Ceilidh. (Beer/wine supplied)

Includes Titanic Boat tour and all walking tour access to all Titanic sites.
    includes Citysightseeing tour of belfast, (private tour)

Programmes and pr material, catering staff.

In summary:

Hotel + Conference £130 per person
    (based on two people sharing, includes breakfast) 2 nights

Hotel + Conference £180.00 per person
    (based on single person not sharing a room includes breakfast) 2 nights

So i highly recommend sharing a room.
    Flights to belfast can easliy be obtained for £50 -£70 return.
    making this conference £200 and less.

If there is money left in the pot and we get good numbers then there will be a concession paid to those coming by boat who are bringing books over for the book stalls, This i feel is fair to those forced to come by boat ladened with books.

tips for this conference:

1. Book early for flights and boats

2. Share a room

3. Share a car if coming by boat

4. Have a Bloody Good time.

FINALLY PLEASE REGISTER YOUR INTEREST TO COME TO BELFAST TO ME AT:

colin@titanicwalk.com

MANY THANKS

COLIN COBB

All the best
    Andrew

The official website for the 2011 Jack the Ripper Conference is now up and running, and can be found here:

All the best
    Andrew

Comment

A message from Colin Cobb

Hello to all
      It is with regret that the Belfast Jack the Ripper Conference is postponed until 2012.
      A number of factors have determined this but mostly due to big percentage of delegates being
      unable to afford the trip and others unhappy at their being two conferences.
      I have spoken to Frogg Moody of the Whitechapel Society and we are in total agreement that there needs to be unity in the ripper circles and have asked for their support for next year’s conference.
      I encourage all to attend the London conference this year and hopefully Belfast will happen next year. 2012 is a special year for Belfast as it’s the 100th anniversary of Titanic’s Departure in to history and this will be celebrated with the opening of the world’s biggest Titanic Visitor attraction.
      I am a firm believer that Belfast is a superb venue for next year’s conference and hopefully we won’t be split again. So start saving the pennies and back us for next year’s conference.
      I want to thank all those who supported us and we are sorry it’s not happening this year.
      Thanks to Adam for the website.
      A special thanks to Andrew Firth , Trevor Bond and Jenni Shelden for all your work and support.
      Regards
      Colin Cobb
      Jack the Ripper Belfast Conference 2012

Comment

Conference

It is very sad that so much hard work has come to naught - however I must remind you that there several people who did say that the cost was far too much, myself among them.

The conference needs to be somewhere that can easily be reached by road, has ample parking at the hotel, and is not too far from an airport to accommodate overseas visitors.

That's why I have always suggested Cardiff, however Brighton, Bournemouth Liverpool, Ipswich and Norwich were all equally as good.

You have to stay clear of London as the war on the motorist makes it practically impossible to get in there any more.

I also think that constant references to the Titanic are wearing a bit thin. Who cares about the Titanic? If I was that interested I would go to a Titanic conference - which like the ship would probably sink on it's first outing.

From the very start it appeared that the conference was being arranged around the Titanic and with JTR being tacked on as an afterthought.

I just hope that people that took the advice to book flights and ferries early can get a full refund on their outlay.

Comment

I'm really up for it, but if I do it on my own it will cost me almost my whole summer extra budget, gotta try to find someone interested enough to share with me (I mean somebosy who wouldn't be my unbearable little brother)

Comment

Working...
          X